Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What are your gaming quirks?  (Read 2796 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: What are your gaming quirks?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 10:18:16 pm »

No ranged weapons, unless they have infinite ammo. This usually leads to me punching/shanking people even in games where by all rights you should be using guns. The Gravity Gun in Half-Life 2 was the only reason I finished that game, especially with the instakill mines you can throw later on.

If its a game like Civilisation, I immediately claim my entire continent and murder everyone on it. Then I max out my tech tree and infrastructure on that continent. Then, in 3-5 turns, I wipe the rest of the world clean of enemies.

I have a hoarding tendancy where I have a super stuffed inventory, but I rarely store it anywhere or sell large chunks of it. Instead, I either throw things away and forget about them forever or keep them in my inventory and forget about them forever.

I often get very anxious if one character I dislike is stronger then a character I like. I remember one game where I basically sabotaged the physical fighter's build so the wizard had a chance to shine.

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 02:43:06 am »

I have a couple of quirks that I've noticed:
- I play games for hours at a time, but am only capable of playing well for +/- an hour. This is very noticeable with MOBAs. I'm also terrible at games when I'm on voice with people, drastically reducing my skills and making a fool out of myself.
- I seem to be unable to finish most games nowadays. A game like The Last Guardian has my attention for about 2 hours, after that it feels like the game has shown all it has and I lose interest.
- I never ever care about aesthetics. If it's relatively workable, I'll be able to deal with this. I've noticed my friends grunt in frustration when viewing my base in Rimworld for example. I'm not bothered with the chaos.
- If there's a summoner/pet class, I will play it. Bonus points if it's a Necromancer. More bonus points if you can summon/control multiple units.
- I will miss out on every single collectible in the game, unless it forces itself into my throat (mini map markers and stuff).
- If I get the chance to fight a boss early and there's a minute chance I can win this, I'll usually try it over and over and over. There's a martial artist boss like thing in NIER:automata that keeps getting stronger when you defeat him. I think his highest level was around 85 or 90, I beat him with my level 20 character.
- When playing games with a meta, I tend to go straight against it. It fails 9 out of 10 times, but that 10% chance of success is hilarious. An example is AD Carry Soraka back before her first rework. It worked so incredibly well. AP Sion before rework was another thing that worked out pretty well, but that one was more common than AD Soraka.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 02:56:45 am »

In games like TF2, I usually play melee/stealth related classes. There's something entertaining about destroying a large engineers nest or stabbing the angry engineers again after they respawn.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 06:34:49 am »

-Extreme hoarder, try to organize all the junk in my base but more often than not I will just end up with a huge pile of everything;
-I will only use vehicles if the map is mostly void of interesting stuff. I will walk on Skyrim, but riding is ok if its on Witcher;
-I also store at least one copy of every legendary/named piece of gear I find;
-Playing defensively in RTS, never give the enemy a reason to come to my base. Then if they attack me, it's ok to beat them because they're dicks;
-Every game says "YOU CAN PLAY ANY WAY I WANT" but most times I make a dumb build and the game really should have told me "You have to play the way the Internet guys do".
-I try to always make builds focusing on one attack and having several things that buff it up. Hence the dumb build problem.
-I hate games that have time limits/resources limits. Like FTL or DCSS. Also any finite resource will be stored and never used unless I can find obscene amounts of it.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 11:16:35 am »

In most sandbox/building games, I always try to use minimal space for everything.
So in Factorio/Minecraft Tech Mods/Fortresscraft Evolved/etc, I try to make super-compact designs from the get go. This means I'll be frustrating and stressing myself, and taking 10x more time, trying to optimize mechanics I still have no clue how they work.
This means I'll be pissed off/annoyed and feel the game is too "stressful" or "demanding" to play, and take a huge break from it. Once I get back to it and stop trying to fit the whole base in a 3x3, I can finally enjoy the game.

This happened a lot of times, including with DF and Kerbal Space Program. It's weird and annoying..but I do get better at those games though, and I guess I'm having fun as the time flies by when I'm going crazy about designs.

Another quirk is that I always leave aesthethics for later, focusing 100% on functionality. "Later" never comes and I finish the game while having a plain rectangle for a base.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 03:30:22 pm »

1) Turing Complete-ness. I always try and find out if a game is turing complete, or if it can at least do a pushdown automata

2) Efficiency. I am a real stickler for efficiency. Even if i dont know how something works, I will try and do it as efficient as possible (Fastest speed, lowest energy, smallest space). Issue is, I also hate things that take a long time; making this painful to deal with.

3) Complexity. I like my games complex, with lots of functionality. Kinda the opposite of most people.
Pages: 1 2 [3]