Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: Tech Support [ACT 2] [ᚦᛖ᛫ᚷᛟᛚᛞᛖᚾ᛫ᛒᚱᛖᛞ᛫ᛁᛉ᛫ᛖᛏᛖᚱᚾᚨᛚ]  (Read 53707 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: Tech Support [ᚦᛖ᛫ᛟᛚᛞ᛫ᚹᚢᚾᛉ᛫ᚨᚱ᛫ᚨᚹᚨᚲ]
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2017, 01:58:38 pm »

install doom (original one) on the thing.
And not Colossal Cave Adventure?

Install Colossal Cave Adventure.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2017, 06:40:51 am »

I am thinking "I have no mouth and I must scream" would be a much more... "entertaining" thing to install. :P

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2017, 12:48:08 am »

Before we get too gung ho, we need to keep the corporate masters happy.

1) issue this hardware a proper asset tag.
2) assign that asset tag to the support ticket.
3) look in the archived support ticket database for case notes dealing with xyzzy, heironet, and that room number.
4) update case notes for this ticket, detailing all steps taken so far. Remind the future reader that you are being serious. Add references to any search results that gave a hit and seem relavent.

This ticket is starting to get out of hand, but you'll be DAMNED (possibly literally) if you're going to let it get the better of you. After creating a proper asset tag (and writing over the sticker on the back of the tower with sharpie), you update the support ticket with a summary of the steps you've taken to fix the problem so far. You suppose your goal is still getting internet access on this thing, so you're sticking with the ticket.

After looking through the support ticket database and some floor plans, you come to the conclusion that 1.) Hieronet Explorer is extremely buggy and prone to spatio-temporal glitches, 2.) XYZZY is mentioned by no one, anywhere, and 3.) the room you are currently in does not exist. The support tickets mentioning Hieronet Explorer tend to concern connection issues and/or "madness from beyond the stars".

Try and see if the VM on the phone has internet

Okay it does have internet. Maybe something essential to the infestation wasn't copied over when you made the backup? It's still probably useful for storing these floppy images.

Torrent the necromicon or access it through Hieronet. Also, find and download a file with rune translations, for easy reference.

You probably don't need anything more than Google to translate germanic runes. That Necronomicon torrent link, on the other hand, requires Hieronet Explorer, which you now have!

You copy the URL you were given into the address bar. Huh.

Finally, you hit enter and navigate to the page hosting the Necronomicon torrent! You click the link, and the torrent download begins.

install doom (original one) on the thing.
And not Colossal Cave Adventure?

Install Colossal Cave Adventure.

To pass the time, you decide to download Colossal Cave Adventure and install it on this machine.

You were considering a couple of other spooky games, but for whatever reason you felt this was more appropriate.

Oh! The torrent is progressing much faster than you-- was the taskbar missing just a second ago?

HE IS BELOW TO BANISH HIM YOU MUST SPEAK HIS MASTER'S NAME
Type in Nyarlathotep.

Oh.

OH SHIT

HOW DO YOU SPELL IT FUCK

You hear a vast rumbling from below, as if the space beneath you just expanded immensely.

Spoiler: Documents (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Programs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:39:26 am by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2017, 01:16:46 am »

See if we can open the newly downloaded PDF. If we can't, then download Acrobat Reader 6 on a different machine and copy it and install it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2017, 01:30:47 am »

There are any number of PDF readers for Android. The now cursed(?) cellphone should work well. (If it wasnt cursed before, it soon will be though.)

Temporarily succumb to a fit of psychic sensitivity. Open a command prompt.

Code: [Select]

C:\copy con AUX

OGTHROD AI’F GEB’L—EE’H YOG-SOTHOTH ‘NGAH’NG AI’Y ZHRO!
^Z
1 file copied

recover from the fugue state to recoil in horror at the results

(For those not familiar, this is the "banishment" spell from Charles Dexter Ward)
(Edit, since we dont want to give whatever horror lies behind the taskbar a corporeal form. :P )
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:47:20 am by wierd »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2017, 12:36:53 pm »

Headcanon: our interpid IT consultant is named Charles Dexter Ward.
They prefer Charlie or, if you're a friend, Dex.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2017, 01:30:09 pm »

This is rapidly becoming my favorite game on these forums, those spooky scary skelingtons made me nearly double over in laughter.
I wish there was someway I could upvote your posts.

Just out of curiosity, let's see if its possible to search hieronet for 'Antartica' just to see what comes up. Also, we should try loading a ''normal website'' like say ''yahoo news or google'' just to see if they are affected in any way.

Edit; Perhaps also try going to ''crakk-freaks.net'' jus to find out about these guys, try through both browsers. P

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:36:08 pm by Paxiecrunchle »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2017, 01:32:56 pm »

Yeah, let's not forget out primary purpose here.

At the end of the day, we need to get this computer connected to the internet. All the occult stuff is just a means to an end.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2017, 05:22:27 am »

Just out of curiosity, let's see if its possible to search hieronet for 'Antartica' just to see what comes up. Also, we should try loading a ''normal website'' like say ''yahoo news or google'' just to see if they are affected in any way.

While antarctica.sothoth appears to be an unclaimed domain (golden opportunity!), google.com loads as normal in Hieronet Explorer. It does appear to have mistaken your location for "R'lyeh" however, and set the language settings appropriately.

Perhaps also try going to ''crakk-freaks.net'' jus to find out about these guys, try through both browsers.

It seems to have been a fairly normal file sharing site. Looks like the domain lapsed some time in mid-2002.

Temporarily succumb to a fit of psychic sensitivity. Open a command prompt.

Code: [Select]

C:\copy con AUX

OGTHROD AI’F GEB’L—EE’H YOG-SOTHOTH ‘NGAH’NG AI’Y ZHRO!
^Z
1 file copied

recover from the fugue state to recoil in horror at the results

The mouse raises briefly from the desk and does a few flips in mid-air, and the disk is "banished" from the floppy drive, at the wall. You're not quite sure it had an effect on whatever lurks Beyond the Taskbar, since the thing seems to have retreated into a colossal cave down below. Any attempts at banishment would have to take place... down there.

See if we can open the newly downloaded .pdf. If we can't, then download Acrobat Reader 6 on a different machine and copy it and install it.
There are any number of PDF readers for Android. The now cursed(?) cellphone should work well. (If it wasnt cursed before, it soon will be though.)

OR you could just use one of your shittier testing laptops. It already has a newer version of Adobe Reader on it, and you wouldn't mind cursing it anyway.

Alright, let's take a look at the first page.

Looks like some of the more recent keepers of The Book have been signing this blank page. This PDF might be pretty old now, no telling who the newest keeper is. That reminds you, you should have probably read the README file that came with the PDF.

Code: (README.txt) [Select]
Hey there, just a couple of notes before you dig in to the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis.
First, certain parts of the .pdf file seem to shift around at random. This is normal,
and there isn't anything I can do about it. Sorry.

Second, most of the pages in this book WILL cause you to go insane if you look at
them long enough. I do NOT recommend looking at pages unless you know they
are safe. I don't know of many pages that are safe to look at, but you can start with
pages 33, 98, and 422.

Finally, some of the pages in here seem to refer to Hieronet URLs. If you see the
Hieronet icon in the corner, that's what it is. Have fun!

-Steve

...Did Steve Jobs create this .pdf?

Spoiler: Documents (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Programs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pages (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2017, 06:12:46 am »

Hieronet explorer can access Google. Internet is working, ticket closed.

consumptiveAbsolutist

• Bay Watcher
  • should actually play Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2017, 08:42:38 am »

> Look at Page 33.
I hope that Steve didn't intentionally pick the most dangerous pages in The Book just to screw with us. That would be horrifically bad.

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2017, 09:31:24 am »

Use OCR software to find the hieronet glyphs in >>necronomicon.pdf<<. Don't feed new software to the demons.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2017, 09:38:08 am »

[X] Sign name on PDF. You'll be one of the greats!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2017, 04:33:09 pm »

yes

also something ate our game.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2017, 04:40:09 pm »

yes

also something ate our game.

I hope it liked it. :)
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30