Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30

Author Topic: Tech Support [ACT 2] [ᚦᛖ᛫ᚷᛟᛚᛞᛖᚾ᛫ᛒᚱᛖᛞ᛫ᛁᛉ᛫ᛖᛏᛖᚱᚾᚨᛚ]  (Read 53730 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech Support [ᚦᛖ᛫ᛟᛚᛞ᛫ᚹᚢᚾᛉ᛫ᚨᚱ᛫ᚨᚹᚨᚲ]
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2017, 01:45:46 pm »

Open the recycling bin.  Scary.  Maybe run XYZZY.

We should probably not cruise the new demon explorer to random web pages.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2017, 01:53:26 pm »

Open up Hieronet youtube and blast Spooky Scary Skeletons through the speakers
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2017, 03:03:49 pm »

Sacrifice some windows install disks to placate this linniks demon.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2017, 06:48:52 pm »

Summon Mac OS to deal with linniks
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2017, 07:52:54 pm »

MacOS is spineless and pitiful (If we are looking at period software).  You used to be able to download classic mac system software direct from Apple at one point, free of charge.  I will see if they still offer the images... just for S&G. (Nope, they have definitely taken it down. There are other mirrors available though.)

Just that MacOS from that era wont run on x86 hardware. It was motorola 68k based hardware.

Besides, Tux-Daemon seems like a more friendly system daemon than the under-horror that breaks the task tray for no reason. He was just angry to wake up in a windows system, that's all.  Feed him some deep ones, and he will be just fine.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:02:58 pm by wierd »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2017, 09:05:17 pm »

Pit the penguin against the toad.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2017, 01:08:43 am »

Hey, Look! It fixed the taskbar!
Nah, if you look closer, we're currently on the Deeper Desktop from Before the Dawn of Time, where the icons all fell. Look at the maximised scryglass picture again.

Let's get this cleaned up, there we go. Near as you can tell, this is the computer's original desktop, before the false one appeared above. The taskbar is completely non-functional, but you brought your own start button so that's alright.

Okay. Let's try and take this one step at a time. Step one is...

Quick! End process! delete that file!

Emergency shutoff if we have to!

You have no idea what would happen if you shut this thing off right now, but if things get really bad, that could be an option. The Daemon that was summoned up on the false desktop doesn't seem to be coming after you. You could always try deleting the file, see if that helps.

Shit! It's write-protected itself somehow.

Code: (linniks.es) [Select]
import eldertongue : summon;

void main() {
Daemon linniks = summon("abberation/tux");
linniks.initHunger();

Entity[] entities = getLocalEntities();
foreach(ent : entities) {
linniks.provokeMadness(ent);
}
linniks.addDirective("gather", "sigils");
linniks.addDirective("consume", "system32");
return 0;
}

However, you can read the contents of the file. Looks like it's written in ElderScript. It looks like an interpreted language, but after writing and testing a couple of small scripts you can't seem to get them to run like this one did. Maybe you need some specialized software?

Uh... there are like, a thousand AOL trial disks in the corner of the room. Is that close enough?

I am curious what the aura monitor has to report about the rampaging tux install daemon... Or scryglass, that could be fun too.
aura monitor, anyone?

You would think about examining the Daemon with the Scryglass if it was around. As for the Aura Monitor...

Well, it hasn't moved at all. It only responds to changes in the desktop background; now that you've found the real desktop, you may be able to experiment with it.

I reccoment we try downloading OS software/wine next.

NOPE no no no no no no no no no we're not installing any more weird OS-related software, we're not here to fill this computer up with unknown eldritch viruses.

Just need to clean the screen off and realign the icons.

Good idea. Let's clean up our work area a bit.

Much better.

Open the recycling bin.  Scary.  Maybe run XYZZY.

Well, you've already looked at the only file in the recycle bin, and you doubt that "linniks" Daemon has enough traits in common with the undead to be affected by that spell, considering its origin in a PROFANE SCRIPT and all. It is important to keep these disks in mind, however, in case you need them.

Open up Hieronet youtube and blast Spooky Scary Skeletons through the speakers

You're going to choose to not die of brain explosion and just blast it from regular Youtube for now. It's about 1am at this point, so you hope no noise complaints are ma--

A wadded up note arcs out of the computer tower and bounces off your head.

Cool, another bit of completely illegible writing, from... something... in the room on the other side of the computer tower.

Alright. You have an unknown being trying to communicate with you, two more unread Necronomicon pages to go through, two possibly-close-by beings haunting your hard drive, and some programs and documents to experiment with. Where to next...?

Spoiler: Documents (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Programs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:18:32 am by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2017, 01:24:36 am »

Read the other known safe pages in the necronomicon I guess.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2017, 01:27:00 am »

Get an antivirus on that thing. Hieronet might have one that works on eldritch.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2017, 01:34:46 am »

If we can pass directives to the tux-daemon using the profane script, we can use it to perform many useful functions!!

Hop on Heironet explorer, and see if we can find an API reference for the Tux-Daemon, and a syntax guide for Profane Script. (though, it appears to be some abberation of object-oriented language with C-style line ending syntax and main process invocation... At least it isn't PERL.)

Replace the background image with something cute and adorable. Possibly something related to father dagon and mother hydra. (We need to feed tux-daemon, after all.)

Also, if we have a picture of the company CEO, we can use the afore mentioned syntax and API guides to craft a profane scriptlet that produces a local entity object populated with enough data to satisfy the "cause madness" directive. This will surely have only positive outcomes.

In response to the angry note from the creature behind the system chasis door, use the red dry erase marker to write "USE ENGLISH" on the back of the note, and throw it back in. :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:05:29 am by wierd »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2017, 02:17:04 am »

Wait, does google translate work on the Hieronet.

Anyway, we should stick to URLs in the necronomicon for now.

Also it looks like it gets local entities and the entity that is local to the program is the summoned one?

Is the start menu still working, the one we brought with us?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2017, 02:43:43 am »

If we can pass directives to the tux-daemon using the profane script, we can use it to perform many useful functions!!

Hop on Heironet explorer, and see if we can find an API reference for the Tux-Daemon, and a syntax guide for Profane Script. (though, it appears to be some abberation of object-oriented language with C-style line ending syntax and main process invocation... At least it isn't PERL.)

Replace the background image with something cute and adorable. Possibly something related to father dagon and mother hydra. (We need to feed tux-daemon, after all.)

Also, if we have a picture of the company CEO, we can use the afore mentioned syntax and API guides to craft a profane scriptlet that produces a local entity object populated with enough data to satisfy the "cause madness" directive. This will surely have only positive outcomes.

In response to the angry note from the creature behind the system chasis door, use the red dry erase marker to write "USE ENGLISH" on the back of the note, and throw it back in. :)

I badly wish to upvote your post, it is amazing.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2017, 02:44:54 am »

I wondered about the context for local entities myself.  Is is local to the script's context, or local to the vicinity of the computer?  Either way, if we can inject into the script and create a local entity in the script context, it would still be parsed and processed by the tux-daemon, so we need some way to inject into the script process, or to invoke the tux-daemon with our own profane scripts.

For instance, we might be able to tell it something along the lines of:

Code: [Select]

import eldertongue : invoke;
import stdio;

void main() {
Daemon linniks = invoke("abberation/tux");
linniks.bind();

Entity[] invocation_entities = newLocalEntity("CharlesDexterWard");
foreach(ent : invocation_entities) {
linniks.EntityBehavior.addDirective("obey", "instructions");
linniks.EntityBehavior.addDirective("protect", "invocation_entities");
}
sys.stdout.write(linniks.Directives.list);
return 0;
}

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:50:16 am by wierd »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2017, 02:45:42 am »

Is the start menu still working, the one we brought with us?
May be wise to avoid clicking that button until we have at least checked with the scryglass whether it still says "RELEASE".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2017, 03:19:29 am »

(Just in case anyone is curious why I am mentioning deep ones, father dagon, and mother hydra, it is a tongue-in-cheek reference to some obscura about Tux penguin's appearance from the linux mailing list from ages past, coupled with Shadow over Innsmouth's tale of what was given in exchange for supplication to those two eldritch gods. An evil version of Tux would likely not become compliant and useful until AFTER gorging on something, such as said deep ones. :P)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30