Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Activision just patented bad matchmaking to sell microtransactions  (Read 2926 times)

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Re: Activision just patented bad matchmaking to sell microtransactions
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2017, 09:04:51 am »

I remember in the alpha test of Heroes of the Storm, it said, "get matched against players of similar skill".

They removed that tooltip fast, because there is no matchmaking system for the top 500 players. It's just for expediency finding average players a game. And then when competent players were sustaining a 70% win-rate they banned duo-queue. I think my peak solo queue mmr was #34 NA. You just had to have a duo queue that was better than the other team's duo-queue and cheese the other team because you would only get a team of 5 competent players one in every 40 games (assuming you were ranked top 100 on your continent).
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 03:23:50 pm »

Rise from the dead, thread, for Activision continues to be shit!

Now not only can you buy lootboxes, you can also force people to watch you doing it to shame them into doing it themselves!

Not what's in the patent itself, but the spirit is there.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2017, 04:55:49 pm »

I don't think "it is the research team instead of the game team so it isn't in the implementation side of things" is a valid argument. They are not funding a research team just for entertainment value, they are funding it to come up with ideas that they will then force into their game team to make more money, and this is one of the ideas that was seen as viable enough to preemptively patent-block.

The most likely reason for not implementing it is that it puts the paying players who they want or income reasons, and the expert players that they want for advertising reasons, into matches against people who cannot defend themselves effectively, and thus are unlikely to be satisfying in the long-term. There is also the matter that free players help to provide a healthy population, and beating them down will likely lose you at least two of your population for every one that converts from free(or at least non-microtransaction) to paid. Far more likely is matching payers with non-payers of similar performance, thus highlighting the difference that the items make to both players while barely registering a smirk on the "What would Satan do"-meter but still being enough to maintain some evil-cred.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 2 [3]