Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Kill the Mayor - Exposition!  (Read 31520 times)

DJDALA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kill the Mayor - Dystopian Future roll to dodge/die (Not dead yet!)
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2017, 04:02:22 am »

Steeve:

"we should probably move away from the water." Start walking towards the light
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:04:07 am by DJDALA »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2017, 07:50:39 am »

Hank:

Keep on trucking, stealthily.
[AGI: 6+1, Crit: 2+1]
You keep moving along, low to the ground, but you've found your rhythm now, and you make quick progress despite your stealthy posture. As you move, you notice the consistency of the ground changing, becoming less flaky and harder packed, and you notice many small mushrooms clustered here and there, but they don't glow, and you're seeing less and less of the distinctive green glows of the large mushrooms. You feel like you're moving ever so slightly uphill, and you notice that the glow you're moving towards seems to consist of many individual points of light close together. As you reach what you reckon is about halfway from your starting point (moving faster than you'd anticipated), you hear something moving to your right. You freeze and squint in that direction, and make out the silhouette of a very large quadruped creature moving about lazily, with its head facing the ground. It's forelegs appear massive compared to the back legs, and it has a massive and intricate crest of several interwoven horns sprouting from the back of its head and covering most of its back. It's about 20 meters away from you, and doesn't seem to have noticed you.

Eddie Bard
Search around for a different mushroom. Check if there are insects on it. If so, observe them closely and try to distinguish any differences in behavior compared to the insects on the damaged mushroom. If there are no insects on it, then use a piece of metal to cut off a small part of mushroom cap and check if it's edible.

You spend a few minutes walking to another mushroom, the nearest one being slightly further inland, only about 30m away. One of the insects follows you from a distance for a while, then retreats back to the mushroom. Shortly after though, you hear a very faint buzzing noise, but each time you whirl to see what's causing it you see nothing and the buzzing stops, only to resume as soon as your back is turned. You press onward to the next mushroom, and step into its area of light. You don't hear any buzzing, and you move up to inspect the mushroom. This one also has a variety of dead insects piled around its base, but peering into the gills and poking them a bit yields none of the ones that were hanging around the other mushroom. Deciding that the coast is clear to harm this mushroom, you find a sharpish flake of metal and saw it back and forth to slice off a small sliver of the cap. It's rather soft and rubbery, and it still glows very faintly. You raise the sliver to your mouth and have a nibble. You find it a little bland, with a hint of bitterness, and very tough to chew despite the small amount you're eating. Overall not your best meal ever (you assume), but it hasn't caused any immediate retching.

Scav:
Say: "Nice ain't a word I'd use in these circumstances, but I guess it works. I don't got a name for where we are, but I seen enough to know it ain't safe, so we should probably get to moving sometime soon. Unless any o' you want to hang around and find out what else hang's out on the shoreline?"

Bobross:

Let's move. I don't like it here.
Point in the direction of the light, aassuming that's the right place to go.

Tablerace.

"My name is Tablerace. Sticks and stones may yet break bones, they have weapons, we need means...means. This place...is there light?"

Corvald
Follow the light.

Steeve:

"we should probably move away from the water." Start walking towards the light

The Scene by the Mushroom - For the Blind
"Nice ain't a word I'd use in these circumstances, but I guess it works. I don't got a name for where we are, but I seen enough to know it ain't safe, so we should probably get to moving sometime soon. Unless any o' you want to hang around and find out what else hang's out on the shoreline?" says the gruff voice that previously identified itself as "Scav." This in response to the plain-voice introducing itself as "Steeve." Next you hear the overly deep voice speak: Let's move. I don't like it here.
You decide you'd best introduce yourself. "my name is Tablerace. Sticks and stones may yet break bones, they have weapons, we need means...means. This place...is there light?"
You hear some movement in the circle before Steeve's nondescript voice saying "we should probably move away from the water." This is followed by some more movement, and a splash out in the water.

The Scene by the Mushroom
"Nice ain't a word I'd use in these circumstances, but I guess it works. I don't got a name for where we are, but I seen enough to know it ain't safe, so we should probably get to moving sometime soon. Unless any o' you want to hang around and find out what else hang's out on the shoreline?" says Scav to Steeve. In response, the big man says simply: Let's move. I don't like it here. He points in the direction of the orange glow on the horizon. The helmeted man says "my name is Tablerace. Sticks and stones may yet break bones, they have weapons, we need means...means. This place...is there light?" He moves his head around, but his gaze doesn't rest on anything in particular, he just looks in the general direction of sounds. Everyone present gets the feeling that this Tablerace may be completely unable to see. Without a word, the old man begins walking towards the glow that the big man pointed to. Steeve simply says "we should probably move away from the water." before following suit.
As the old man and Steeve begin moving away, everyone hears a splash some distance out in the water.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

You burst from the water, gasping. Everything looks orange, and blurry, and you can barely see a thing. You wipe your face and realise you're wearing goggles, but with all the water and muck on them you can't see a thing. You wipe them off and look around. Darkness, lights, a mushroom, people. You begin blearily making your way through the chest-deep water towards the group of people standing around the glowing mushroom on the shore. You don't know why you're here, you don't know where here is, you can't see shit in the darkness; aside from the shit you're wading through, but you know that...
I MUST KILL THE MAYOR
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2017, 11:38:22 am »

Hank:

Punch large quadruped creature with my brass knuckles.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2017, 03:57:31 am »

Struggle my way towards shore, when the water is shallow enough crouch down to rest for a bit whilst preferably remaining unseen.
Keep a wary eye on the people ahead - be ready to run for my life if I am spotted.

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DJDALA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 24, 2017, 05:07:57 am »

Steeve:

Turn to look at the splashes in the water while still walking toward the light

Secheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2017, 05:18:21 am »

Corvald
Keep on walking.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2017, 11:12:52 am »

Eddie Bard
Make a close inspection of the dead insects. Try to discern their biology and if they are actually dangerous to humans. Check if any part of the dead insects can be detached and repurposed into a tool.
Insert witty signature here

Monarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 26, 2017, 04:18:18 am »

Scav:
Squint at Tablerace and say: "Nah, not much light, but looks like er's a glow way out that we can head for."
Look around at those of the group who haven't started moving yet and say out loud: "Onwards, I guess?" Start walking towards the light in the distance.

LugeTheHuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2017, 01:10:22 am »

Bobross:

Impatiently run towards the glow, overtaking the others.

FunVake

• Bay Watcher
  • Adam kom Eerste.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2017, 02:33:23 am »

Grunt. Follow the movement toward the mushroom.

Try to listen for any more natives
Tablerace 0

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2018, 04:39:44 am »

Hank:

Punch large quadruped creature with my brass knuckles.

Deciding that the quadruped, which dwarfs you in size, would probably be pretty fun to do violence towards, you rush at it with fists raised. As you move in from its front left side, it looks up from its grazing with huge, baleful eyes, from which no light seems to escape. It slowly inhales the last of the mushroom stalks trapped in its lips as you cover the last bit of distance, before it suddenly takes a step back, raises its head, and lets out an echoing bellow. [Hank: 6+1+1, Quadruped: 4] Your right fist catches it on the front of its jaw with an audible crack before it finishes its call, and it takes a few steps back again in visible pain, before lowering its head and upper body towards you and stamping its rear hooves. You are presented with a gigantic crest of interlocking horns, about a meter tall and three quarters of a meter wide, with multiple sharp points facing in all directions, and several long horns extending forwards around the thing's head. It snorts loudly and stamps its feet again, and you hear other movement in the darkness.

Eddie Bard
Make a close inspection of the dead insects. Try to discern their biology and if they are actually dangerous to humans. Check if any part of the dead insects can be detached and repurposed into a tool.

You walk up to the dead insects and stare quite intently at them, trying to figure out what you can. There is a large variety of sizes, shapes, and colours present, and they are certainly not all of the same species. Most of them have wings, but there are several without. They vary in size from smaller than a fingernail all the way up to about the length of your hand. Most of the larger ones have stingers of some description, and those that don't have massive mandibles that would quite obviously break skin. Among the smaller ones are a very large amount of simple insects with wings and no stinger or mandibles that probably aren't harmful, and a slightly smaller amount of long-legged ones with wings and much longer, sharper-looking proboscises.

Overall, probably a dangerous bunch, if they were all alive. Maybe they're non-venomous or something, but you doubt it.

You check around for a part that might be useful as a tool. You find an insect with a body the size of your hand that has mandibles as long as its body. They feel fairly sturdy, and have a few sharp points, but they are brittle and you manage to break them off quite easily. They may come in handy as improvised knives, you reckon.

Struggle my way towards shore, when the water is shallow enough crouch down to rest for a bit whilst preferably remaining unseen.
Keep a wary eye on the people ahead - be ready to run for my life if I am spotted.

[AGI: 2+1]
The waist deep proves more of a challenge than you anticipated, with many variations in depth and obstacles on the bed . You struggle and splash in a decidedly un-stealthy way as you approach the shore, and before you get halfway there you're certain that they've all seen you. You make ready to run for your life, but you're not sure where would be safest.

Steeve:

Turn to look at the splashes in the water while still walking toward the light

Corvald
Keep on walking.

Scav:
Squint at Tablerace and say: "Nah, not much light, but looks like er's a glow way out that we can head for."
Look around at those of the group who haven't started moving yet and say out loud: "Onwards, I guess?" Start walking towards the light in the distance.

Bobross:

Impatiently run towards the glow, overtaking the others.

Grunt. Follow the movement toward the mushroom.

Try to listen for any more natives

You can hear people continuing to move around, mostly away from the shore, and there's that splashing noise out in the water. You hear Scav's voice respond to your earlier question: "Nah, not much light, but looks like er's a glow way out that we can head for." He pauses for a bit, then says "Onwards, I guess?"

You hear him start moving as well, and then hear some rather rapid movement in the same direction by someone else. You grunt, and then follow the rest, guided by the sound of their footsteps.
You listen for any more movement, but if the sound of the subtle shift of weight on the flakes is present, you can't hear it over all the movement going on in your own party.

You hear the splashing, which has been getting progressively closer, stop quite suddenly, about 30m away.

The Scene [slowly moving away from] the Mushroom

Steeve and the old man keep walking, but Steeve glances over his shoulder to see something coming towards the shore. There's a lot of splashing and he can't quite make out what it is, but water definitely isn't its home environment. Scav squints at Tablerace as Tablerace looks around jerkily, like a small bird, his gaze never lingering for terribly long.
"Nah, not much light, but looks like er's a glow way out that we can head for."
Scav looks around at those still stationery: The big man, Tablerace, and himself. "Onwards, I guess?" he asks, before joining the others in walking towards the horizon. The big man, starting to feel impatient apparently, breaks into a run and overtakes the rest to place himself at the head of the merry march. Tablerace grunts and follows the rest.

All present can hear the splashing out in the water getting slightly closer and then stopping.

"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

LugeTheHuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2018, 04:49:28 am »

Bobross:

Continue towards the glow and try to get a better idea of what we're moving towards.

DJDALA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 01, 2018, 05:27:03 am »

Steeve:

Start running to catch up with Bobross

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 01, 2018, 11:29:28 am »

Hank:

Continue punching giant enemy.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2018, 06:02:05 pm »

Eddie Bard
Okay, so now I have a better understanding of these insects' biology. Next, I should dig up some dirt and gather soil samples. Oh! I wonder if the soil here is so rich in nitrogen that the mushrooms can-

Suddenly, Eddie snapped to his senses.

Wait, what I am doing? Why am I wasting time playing with bugs and plants? I have a mission!

Urged foward by his newfound resolve, Eddie got to his feet, looked up at the sky, and yelled,

"I have to kill the mayor! Nothing will stop me!"

Take my newfound weapon and search for someone who can assist me in my mission.
Insert witty signature here
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15