Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What books would you reccomend?  (Read 3613 times)

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What books would you reccomend?
« on: October 04, 2017, 02:03:30 pm »

Here you can write a list of books you would like to reccomend to other users.

OPTIONAL: You can write near each book why you would reccomend it and to who. Although, good luck doing it without spoiling anything.

I will add my soon.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
Re: What books would you reccomend?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 08:49:23 pm »

A dictionary and a hollowed out bible to hide the dictionary in. The dictionary is also hollowed out...
××××××××××××××××××

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 02:04:48 am »

Here is mine.

- The Idiot, Dostoyevsky
- Fahrenheit 451, Bradbury
- A Clockwork Orange, Burgess
- Republic, Plato
- Matia Pascal, Pirandello
- The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Traven

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 02:09:38 am »

For those interested in ww2 diaries, I should recommend my great-grandfather's diary from camp Westerbork.

Philip Mechanicus - Waiting for Death
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 10:32:31 pm »

The entire electronic manual of first edition F.A.T.A.L
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 11:19:58 pm »

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 01:27:09 am »

I concur. I've read that thing once.
It is simultaneously one of the most inadvertently hilarious, cringeworthy, ridicliously bad and disgusting things ever created by an allegedly sentient being.

Tried to convince my tabletop group to play a game of it and they threw interesting insults at me for making them read the manual.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 01:31:14 am »

I am afraid I have no idea what are you talking about.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 01:36:19 am »

I think he's joking, Archibald. F.A.T.A.L. is a legendarily bad tabletop role-playing game; not only are the mechanics horribly complicated, but the setting is riddled with ahistorical descriptions of lasciviousness and mind-boggling levels of sexism and racism. There is really very little point in reading it except to mock it.

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 01:50:50 am »

I think he's joking, Archibald. F.A.T.A.L. is a legendarily bad tabletop role-playing game; not only are the mechanics horribly complicated, but the setting is riddled with ahistorical descriptions of lasciviousness and mind-boggling levels of sexism and racism. There is really very little point in reading it except to mock it.

Huh, I never knew anything about it until today. I am not knowledgeable enough for tabletop games (Monopoly and Warhammer being one of the few I know) so I can't really talk about the subject. But I can talk about video games and books.  :)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 02:03:55 am »

If I remember right, creating a character involves certain forms of advanced mathematics, it goes into almost ten pages describing sugar and salt, and contains, erm... colourful magic items such as "the Jack-off Jar" and "Armour of Jewy Jewbacca". I recommend reading it on the basis that it's a hilarious and bizarre trek, which leaves you wondering "why?".

Apparently the creator is a college professor now.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:13:39 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 02:36:16 am »

If I remember right, creating a character involves certain forms of advanced mathematics, it goes into almost ten pages describing sugar and salt, and contains, erm... colourful magic items such as "the Jack-off Jar" and "Armour of Jewy Jewbacca". I recommend reading it on the basis that it's a hilarious and bizarre trek, which leaves you wondering "why?".

Apparently the creator is a college professor now.

"Jewy Jewbacca"... it's like I am looking at Cards Against Humanity tabletop version.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 07:31:52 pm »

Another Bible. Carve it out... hide your hip flask of holy water in it.
Then inside your other hip flask hide your whisky but say it's holy water
××××××××××××××××××

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 04:18:41 pm »

The Disaster Artist - The backstory behind the creation of the movie "The Room" which is widely regarded as one of the worst movies ever made.  Memoir/Biography

House of Leaves - A fictional analysis of a fictional documentary film about a family discovering their house is much larger on the inside than the outside.  Horror/Thriller

Catch 22 - A cowardly airplane bomber on the Italian front of WWII, trapped into service by increasingly demanding requirements.  War/Dark Humor

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bible - Common stories of the bible told in a humorous way.  Humor

I have no mouth and must scream - Far flung future where an omnipotent and hateful AI keeps a few humans alive as playthings.  Sci-fi (there's also a sequel in the form of a point-and-click adventure game)

Farenhiet 451 - A future where reading is illegal and books are burned.  Sci-fi

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Man goes on galactic adventure after earth is destroyed for hyperspace bypass. Sci-fi/humor
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 05:48:14 pm »

Dune, by Frank Herbet. A seminal classic science fiction novel.

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. Another seminal classic science fiction novel.

The Color of Magic/The Light Fantastic, by Terry Pratchett. The first two books in the Discworld series, and so close to my heart, it's where my username comes from.

The Call of Cthulhu, by HP Lovecraft. Probably his most famous work, but not my favorite, honestly. (It's really great for getting a taste of his work, but I prefer The Horror at Red Hook, despite its racism, because the urban terror is much more compelling for me, and the mystery is a bit better. For something a little less racist, I'd recommend Dagon or At The Mountains of Madness, because they're both much better at filling you with cosmic dread.)

The Name Of The Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. A classic fantasy saga, written for a Post-Harry Potter era. Literally everyone I've met who's read it has loved it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 12:50:46 am by My Name is Immaterial »
Pages: [1] 2 3