Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Get it off your chest!  (Read 6755 times)

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Get it off your chest!
« on: October 04, 2017, 08:55:14 am »

You are dissapointed with something? You want to complain? You want to talk? You have something to get off your chest? This is the topic you are looking for! Here you can post things that make you irritated, nervous, or even you just want to say something but you want to remain anonymous. I guess I will start first...

First of all, Americans (the asshole ones):

- Hey, did you know that your "great country" was founded by a bunch of slave owners who said that all man are created equal? Ironic, isn't it? And that you live on a land your ancestors stole to the Indians? Maybe next time you should think before making fun of someone else's country which accepted you with open arms.

- If you are gonna claim you are Christian, then either act like one or don't call yourself Christian. It is because of people like you that makes us look bad. Read the Bible? Remember what New Testament said? "But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy." What is faith without actions? What are actions without faith? Look, I know that you are not perfect. Nobody is! The point is, we, as Christians, must spread God's word by helping people! See the Pope? He is one of the most powerful people on Earth and yet he talks with the poor just like Jesus talked with prostitues and the sick (in other words, people who society discarded). Don't ask God for material things, for everything that is in this world will sooner or later rot and dissapear. Instead, ask Him to give you peace, to give you strenght, to give you love. Remember: "Each of us will give an account of ourselves to God."

Second, France:

- Ah yes, nothing says "liberty, equality, fraternity" like killing your own people and sending them to the guillotine. For the love of God, don't be like the British, who are so full of pride that they rarely realize that more than half of their wealth came from the colonies they drained to the very last drop of blood. You claim that our language is brutish just because you refuse to learn it (despite having the abilities to do so)? Great! Why did you come here in the first place then?

Third, politicians:

- Oh, boy.

- Ever heard the saying "Res, non verba"? Things, not words?  If you wonder why people stopped caring about politics, it is mostly because of that (and because, the smartest in the group, realized that most elections are rigged anyways, because who gives a fuck about what paesants want, never mind that those same paesants are the sole reason why you sit on that comfy chair of yours nowdays). If you want to be a politician who wants to earn respect of your people, then first educate yourself and try to be as honest as possible.

Fourth, people in general:

- Oh, so philosophy and art are bullshit and unimportant? Let me remind you that it is because of philosophy that you have that fancy smartphone you use 24/7, like a good zombie that you are. Philosophy (translated, love of wisdom) had done so many things for us, that we should give it respect it deserves. Also respect the philosophers. I personally don't like Nietzsche's POV (part of the reason is because that same POV was the reason Fascism and Nazism exist), but I have respect for the man! Just like I have respect for every artist (except modern ones, because tbh, modern art is not even art anymore but a mockery) that gave us books/paintings/whatever. Mozrt's compositions are more than two hunderd years old and yet people still want to listen to them. Do you know what this means? Do you have any idea how good you must be to write something that people will happily listen two centuries after your death? Who knows how many people were inspired to build/write/whatever thanks to him. Give some respect for fuck's sake! It may be old, but remember that it played an important role in shaping music as we know today.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Get it off your chest!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:51:12 am »

This sort of smacks of the RAGE thread which Toady isn't cool with anymore. Just figured I'd give you fair warning.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 12:49:22 pm »

Where to begin...
First of all, Americans (the asshole ones):

- Hey, did you know that your "great country" was founded by a bunch of slave owners who said that all man are created equal? Ironic, isn't it?

Better than anyone else at the time. The American Revolution predates the French Revolution, which is about how long it took for the concept to arrive in Europe. Really, the current system of goverment in most of the Western World pretty much started there. With a forerunner in the Roman Republic, which, granted influenced a lot the early US system. But it was certainly the first of the new batch of Republics.

More on this later
And that you live on a land your ancestors stole to the Indians? Maybe next time you should think before making fun of someone else's country which accepted you with open arms.
*shrug* what is this about really? I mean, pretty much every nation in the Americas is an ex-colony of European nations that shed the blood of the people who were living there beforehand, but since noone can unkill those people, blaming the descendants of those colonists feels like the biblical concept of "visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation". And speaking of the Bible...
- If you are gonna claim you are Christian, then either act like one or don't call yourself Christian. It is because of people like you that makes us look bad. Read the Bible? Remember what New Testament said? "But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy." What is faith without actions? What are actions without faith? Look, I know that you are not perfect. Nobody is! The point is, we, as Christians, must spread God's word by helping people! See the Pope? He is one of the most powerful people on Earth and yet he talks with the poor just like Jesus talked with prostitues and the sick (in other words, people who society discarded). Don't ask God for material things, for everything that is in this world will sooner or later rot and dissapear. Instead, ask Him to give you peace, to give you strenght, to give you love. Remember: "Each of us will give an account of ourselves to God."
... don´t we have one or two religious threads for this sort of thing? Anyways, I don´t think you´re correct. I mean, you´re probably correct on general terms as far as Catholic doctrine is concerned, but I´ve never felt that the argument of "so-and-so isn´t a true Christian because he doesn´t follow the scriptures to the letter" sticks. Because it´s kind of a "no true Scotsman" fallacy. And because even devout people will find it hard to follow the myriad of rules. You know, "Thou shall not winnow with a fork, wear not mixed fabrics, thou shalt not open the wrong end of a banana(no mention of which end is that)....". Where do you draw the line? And why are you so quick to judge? As Jesus said, "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"
speaking of which...

Ah yes, nothing says "liberty, equality, fraternity" like killing your own people and sending them to the guillotine
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Mark my words, the French Revolution was a force for good in Europe. It changed things altogether, and in no small measure it´s responsible for modern democracy.
For the love of God, don't be like the British, who are so full of pride that they rarely realize that more than half of their wealth came from the colonies they drained to the very last drop of blood.
Yeah, colonialism is bad. It´s not like the British or the French are the only ones. This is... kind of beating a dead horse, really.
You claim that our language is brutish just because you refuse to learn it (despite having the abilities to do so)? Great! Why did you come here in the first place then?
Whoa there, first, why do you generalize to all French, what language is that?. Also, do you speak French? Speck of sawdust and all that :jesusgrin:

- Ever heard the saying "Res, non verba"? Things, not words?  If you wonder why people stopped caring about politics, it is mostly because of that (and because, the smartest in the group, realized that most elections are rigged anyways, because who gives a fuck about what paesants want, never mind that those same paesants are the sole reason why you sit on that comfy chair of yours nowdays). If you want to be a politician who wants to earn respect of your people, then first educate yourself and try to be as honest as possible.

I donno man. Don´t you think that not voting because the voting is rigged anyway is kind of a  self-fulfilling prophecy?

- Oh, so philosophy and art are bullshit and unimportant? Let me remind you that it is because of philosophy that you have that fancy smartphone you use 24/7, like a good zombie that you are.
I did not know that Kant was a code contributor to Android  ??? ?
I personally don't like Nietzsche's POV (part of the reason is because that same POV was the reason Fascism and Nazism exist), but I have respect for the man!
Nietzsche's philosophy and the nazis were not meaningfully related.  No offense, but I kind of suspect that your knowledge of Nietzsche´s thought is coming from text written by people who are made uncomfortable by his point of view. Maybe you should try a more balanced approach?

Just like I have respect for every artist  that gave us books/paintings/whatever. Mozrt's compositions are more than two hunderd years old and yet people still want to listen to them. Do you know what this means? Do you have any idea how good you must be to write something that people will happily listen two centuries after your death? Who knows how many people were inspired to build/write/whatever thanks to him. Give some respect for fuck's sake! It may be old, but remember that it played an important role in shaping music as we know today
...a worthwhile statement

(except modern ones, because tbh, modern art is not even art anymore but a mockery)
with this contradictory pearl in the middle. Speck of sawdust, man! Speck of sawdust!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:53:07 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 02:37:20 pm »

(I have no idea how to quote desired paragraphs so I am just gonna add letters for each, ok?)

a) But then don't say you are a country made for freedom lovers if you own slaves! It is like when Hitler/Nazi party made the ideal of the Aryan race... except that their leader had no Aryan traits at all!

b) (the tree of liberty bs) Say what? You sound like a politician that is spitting out propaganda during a war. Well let me ask you, why don't you go out there and loose your life for a freedom that you never got in the first place? Why should others loose their lives for something stupid as that?

c) (French) Russian. I get it. It can be hard. But don't piss on something that people gave their lives for. As for French, i know few words here and there.

d) In what way it is a self-fulfilling prophecy?

e) I am saying for philosophy in general. It is because of philosophy that we got things like chemistry, physics and economy (which used to be a branch of philosophy until the 17th century I think, but then came Adam Smith and co. and turned it to a science branch).

f) Dude, I read his works. The guy basically says that you should go above puny moral standards to become Ubermensch. Although I admit this is a very shortened version of his whole idea.

g) Modern art... come on man, don't be that guy.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 02:53:00 pm »

come on man, don't be that guy.

Just because you don't like modern art (which is a broad, vague category since pretty much everything made between the fall of the Eastern Roman Empire and the French Revolution (and yes, I know that everyone means contemporaneous when they say modern, but I like to be pedantic)) doesn't mean its trash. It just means you don't like it.

For instance, I dislike abstract art. Doesn't mean I think it is hot garbage.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 03:05:28 pm »

Rate 4/10 very uninteresting things to be angry about. Some points for delivery.

Would like to see complaint focused on double-breasted suits, sticking-out swan feathers and mathematical structuralism. Send pictures.
One wheel short of a wagon

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 03:13:00 pm »

But then don't say you are a country made for freedom lovers if you own slaves!
Every country owned slaves at the time. The US made a difference bringing back popular sovereignity at a time where all other countries were monarchies of one sort or another. It wasn´t without inspirations (Rome one of them. European, particularily British Parliamentarism another), but it´s noteworthy
It is like when Hitler/Nazi party made the ideal of the Aryan race... except that their leader had no Aryan traits at all!
  It´s not the same at all. And while we are at it, there´s no such thing as an "Aryan race" anyway. Nazi racial theory had little basis on... anything, really. They made it up as they went on.
(the tree of liberty bs) Say what? You sound like a politician that is spitting out propaganda during a war. Well let me ask you, why don't you go out there and loose your life for a freedom that you never got in the first place? Why should others loose their lives for something stupid as that?
I don´t need to fight the same things Revolutionary France fought, largely because Revolutionary France fought.
You think social advances are achieved without struggle? 

(French) Russian. I get it. It can be hard. But don't piss on something that people gave their lives for. As for French, i know few words here and there.
Guess what dude, most people in Western Europe hold the same opinion about the Russian language as of any foreign language they don´t actually speak, aka, they don´t hold an opinion at all. You made yourself a victim for an imagined slur against your language.

BTW I find it amusing that you say "don't piss on something that people gave their lives for" (which is odd enough in itself in this context), RIGHT after pissing on Revolutionary France. A bit hypocritical, don´t you think?

Also: You dissed the Americans before because their country was founded on the misery of native tribes... I wonder if you´re aware that the Tzars did exactly the same thing in Siberia?

EDIT: INB4RE we get a reply of the "HOLY MOTHER RUSSIA HAD THE RIGHT AND THE DUTY TO CIVILIZE SAVAGES"... because I just *know* he´s going to reply something of the sort

In what way it is a self-fulfilling prophecy?
You don´t vote because the same guys always win, hence the same guys always win.
Fun fact, even in rigged elections it´s a good idea to participate. That way you can show how it is rigged.

e) I am saying for philosophy in general. It is because of philosophy that we got things like chemistry, physics and economy (which used to be a branch of philosophy until the 17th century I think, but then came Adam Smith and co. and turned it to a science branch).
You'll have to clarify and support this statement. It´s either giving "philosophy" a too broad (and hence meaningless) definition, or attributing things to philosophers which.. aren´t really their thing.

The guy basically says that you should go above puny moral standards to become Ubermensch.
Ok, either you haven´t read Nietzsche or you badly misunderstood Nietzsche. No, it´s not about that. 

I bet you think you´re cool by making blanket statements like "I don´t like modern art".
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:34:03 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 03:18:55 pm »

People who feel bad/hateful and then try to make others feel bad/hateful. I'll use video games as an example (though many, many things could apply in this situation, from knitting techniques to how you hold your pen/pencil when you write).

I get that a game that many, many people love may very well be a game that other people absolutely hate more than anything else.

I get that maybe the fact everyone loves it and you don't might give the impression that something is very, very wrong with the world.

What I don't get is people shouting at each other about liking or not liking a game. If a game is not fun to play don't play it. Play some other game. Don't go shouting at other people about how the thing that they enjoy is 100% terrible when it's not 99% terrible, play some other game and leave the people who like it alone! When you find something not fun and start shouting at someone who does find it fun, the overall fun had by the two of you decreases, and while I don't actually believe utilitarianism too hard, decreasing the fun of every member in a pair for no discernible reason seems irrational/illogical/stupid to me.

Also, jingoism fucking pisses me off. The shirt I'm wearing right now was made in the Dominican Republic, for instance. The computer I'm using was probably made across the Pacific. Some of the food I ate was in France.

Gotta go now so I'll add more stuff to shout about later.

EDIT: Is this gonna turn into a rage thread? Or one of the politics threads?

'Cause if so I don't wanna be involved no more.

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 03:42:05 pm »

I don´t need to fight the same things Revolutionary France fought, largely because Revolutionary France fought.
You think social advances are achieved without struggle? What are you smoking exactly?

Ffs, I know it is achieved with struggle, damn it! But does it have to be paid in blood when there is something like... gee, I dunno... diplomacy?!

I am not trying to be a victim. I am trying to say that people died for stupid reasons that could be solved peacefully. It is just absurd. Why throw your life away like that? Something like that can only come from the Warhammer universe.

For the rigged elections: Well, people tried. Many times. Same result. Why bother trying again?

For philosophy: I am meaning people like Democritus, Leonardo Da Vinci (although he was more things, not just philosopher. In general, those schools of thought were the foundations of modern day science. The Greek school of skepticism, philosophy of economy, shaping the scientific method, things like that.

If I haven't read his works, then tell me, am I imagining all that stuff on "Ubermensch is the meaning of the earth" and "ignoring those who promise other-worldly hopes" or even "the death of God and creation of new values"?

Painting a white stripe on a giant blue rectangle is not art. Making a chair out of junk is not art. Placing a hat in the middle of an empty room is not art. Ripping out pages from a phone book and placing them in a frame is not art.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 03:47:45 pm »

Painting a white stripe on a giant blue rectangle is not art. Making a chair out of junk is not art. Placing a hat in the middle of an empty room is not art. Ripping out pages from a phone book and placing them in a frame is not art.

what makes you say that?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 04:01:30 pm »

what makes you say that?

Been to several exhibitions. Also this.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 04:06:44 pm »

That's nothing.

We just had a gallery showing here at work where the guy's portfolio was literally, I shit you not, 90% pencil shading tests. Large pieces of canvas or hardboard with about 8% of it covered in pencil line and shading tests.

That's it. And we're calling that art these days.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 04:16:11 pm »

If I haven't read his works, then tell me, am I imagining all that stuff on "Ubermensch is the meaning of the earth" and "ignoring those who promise other-worldly hopes" or even "the death of God and creation of new values"?
See, for the kind of stuff you say I'm pretty sure that the info you have about Nietzsche is from  angry christian tracts about Nietzsche (Which I know all too well). See, you're going apoplexic about Nietzsche's "God is dead" et al statements, and building your impression from there, because of course you take the statement at face value (eg: "he's saying that MY god is dead!"), and this makes you very angry. From there you pile up common misconceptions about Nietzsche to make him up into a proto-nazi.

I beg to... seriously disagree about this view.
I don't think it's possible to sum up any serious thinker's philosophy in a couple of lines, and there are people that will be able to explain it better. But anyway, here it goes:
When Nietzsche says "God is dead" he's not talking about any literal deity. What he means is that religion is an unquestionable source of morality is gone//falling apart, and can no further be the core of European culture.  His worry is that, without anything to replace it, nihilism but follow, and saw people becoming more self aware and creating new values for themselves as an alternative (AKA Nietzsche's Ubermensch). This, btw, is likely even more uncomfortable to religious authorities, but is a far call from the flanderized view of Freddie that they usually parade around

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 08:15:54 pm »

The French Revolution was pretty bad, but it was the ruling class's own fault.
That's the sorta thing that happens if you don't keep the peasantry firmly beneath your bootheel. :(   

Apart from that, though, I really don't expect this thread to last very long. As has been said, it's basically a Rage thread, and there are already heated posts being thrown about.
Oh, how I miss the days of the Rage thread. I really need to get my journal/diary back on track so that I can start bottling up my anger in its pages again, as opposed to my spleen.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 10:06:43 pm »

I used to be like blah blah thats not art. Until I started doing art...
By the fucking way a chair mad out of garbage sounds like art to me.
Art is expression. However one expressed themselves in that time, what is ridiculous is buying it.
If you want to spend your cunt money on a white rectangle on blue then feel free to get falcon punched. But it is art.
Like sex. Sex is sex bad or good it is sex.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:10:58 pm by Avarice »
××××××××××××××××××
Pages: [1] 2 3 4