Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traitor King?  (Read 1396 times)

Aranov

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Traitor King?
« on: October 03, 2017, 06:59:27 pm »

Long time lurker and player, finally registered just to share this story. Bit of a post, but I had to share.

Preface, using some mods. I give you the story of Ulolkulet, "Lastabbey", Last hope of The Elder Citadel.

So after getting the newest version of DF up and running, and working out the kinks in the mods I'm using, I finally get a usable world.
As always, I export legends and start studying histories while looking for ideal embark sites. Cheated a little bit, used DFHack to find "ideal" site.

Meanwhile looking though Legends Viewer I find something interesting, A Dwarf Civ on the brink of death after 200 years of war against a Goblin Civ and their Clown King.
According to legends, when I embarked there where only 22 dwarves, living a in camp, having lost all fortresses and Mountainhomes. When I embarked, there wasn't even a Monarch.
Meanwhile I found a site in tropical forest, with all then ore I could want. One catch was a Aquifer. Been long time since tried to breach one. The other was the tower, but I turned invaders off since the Aquifer was an experiance in itself.

Anyway, I embark, dorfs work hard and stupid, on the 3rd or 4th try I improvise system to punch past it, and DFHack did not lie. The layers under where as rich in iron, flux and fuel as the Aquifer with water.
Progress is made, a Mountainhome is made in the jungle, Towers of marble rose, trenches dug, forges working non stop to provide steel arms and armor for the coming Armageddon when I flip invaders back on.

Now remember when I said there wasn't a Monarch? Well after we embarked someone took the title. Now imagine my surprise when not even a barony, I'm told the King has come. One Stozu Splatteredtick, Cook.
Cool, Right? All is well. Then after a few months I look at his traits.

Like others in his culture,
Power is the ideal goal, Laws are abhorrent, Repelled by honesty and lies without compunction, Disgusted by fairness and will cheat anybody, abandoned self-control, sacrifice is disgusting, disfains loyalty, introspection is valueless,
Self-Examination is for fools, Can't fathom orderly society, Values cunning, Values independence, Values war, Decorum is silly, Disregards tradition, Dislikes cooperation, Working hard is foolish waste, Perseverance is foolish, War is useful and Knowledge isn't.
Hates friends and artful-speech, Values nature(!!!!!!!), and Dreams of ruling the world.

Who in the name of Magnetite is this joker?
So look in in my legends export, and there he is. Administrator. Of The Square Devil. The Goblin Civ that nearly wiped my Civ.
Ten years afer being made Administrator, and 5 after I embarked, He came and claimed the title of King, while still being member of "The Folded Scourge", the sub-group who ruled his site.

So, what shall we do with Traitor King? And invaders are on now, so !!Fun!! is coming.
And I suppose the question is, if I kill him, will another dwarf become King?

EldritchVoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traitor King?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 09:53:22 pm »

If you kill him another dwarf somewhere in your civ will immediately claim the title, it is almost guaranteed to be a dwarf from your fort due to the condition of your civ.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:08:50 am »

Invaders incoming? Draft the false king and send him out alone to "negotiate" with his former bosom buddies. If he beats the siege, consider all sins forgiven. If not... well, may the next kings reign be long and prosperous...

But yeah, the game tends to do surprising things in a "dwarfkind on the brink of extinction" type scenarios. When you embark, suddenly any dwarf in the world, including those whose families have been citizens of a goblin culture since time before time, can suddenly awaken to their newfound dwarven identity. That can lead to anything from some very interesting migrants to whole courtfuls of nobility springing to existence in various goblin fortresses all over the continent.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 02:26:40 pm »

What an awesome character to have pop up lol

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 04:04:30 pm »

ptw, great. story. Tell us how you did, please.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 06:23:23 pm »

I've had a similar problem before, except in my case, a member of a bandit gang (and a former member of the goblin civ) became monarch.  This caused more problems than not, since, among others, it stopped migration and caravans since the mountainhome under her rule was, theoreetically, the bandit gang she was member of.  The only way I could resolve this problem was to retire the fortress, send off an adventurer  (that is, restart in adventure mode), slay the bandit queen, and reclaim the fortress, at which time things became normal again.  Successions are kinda funky this way.  In my present world, the ruler of the dwarven civilization is another dwarf with a goblin name (and yes, a former goblin civ member), but he hasn't given me any trouble so no assassination effort is being organized...yet.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 02:14:57 pm »

What happened here? Would love to know.

Aranov

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:12:58 pm »

In short, FPS Death, and....uh... intelligent pets I guess? Plus other bugs. That has lead me to just playing Elder Scrolls Online and then Shadow of War instead of DF.

I suspect the low FPS is just an ambusher swarm hiding and path finding around as it came on sudden.
Other potential cause is our large number of keets. Going to be a pain to clear out.

And the pets....one of the mods I'm using are bits and pieces from an Elder Scrolls mod.
And among other things it has the "Dremora" and other Daedra as trainable of all things. But in the case of said Dremora and a few others, they are also intelligent.
Those familiar with creature modding may see the issues here.
Tried to train 5 of em, since they're "Intelligent" I can't pasture, meaning I needed to build the cages and connect them to a lever.
But cause already trained creatures can't be further trained in cages and the lever connecting took forever at least one reverted to wild.
I did send the King to let them out(lever was in the same room as the cages, cause why not?), but instead the wild Dremora ran off, cornered a guest in an abandoned mine shaft and then just went to town on him.
The still trained Dremora however a running around like they where dwarves, only if the trainer doesn't find them in time they'll go on the attack.
Daedra training has not been a fruitful endeavor.

Meanwhile caravans are acting up, It seems like anything brought by horseback(not on a wagon) isn't being put in the trade depot, so I can't buy half of what the caravan brings.
Oh and we've been getting a lot of guests, some of which applied for citizenship. Not familiarizing myself with there names, it's a gamble what I'll get when I say yes.
This has lead to 2 goblins joining the fort. Also a Human poet and Hammerwoman. The later of which I can't make large armor for so...not much help.

I'm picking the fort back up however, to see if I can fight off the greatest enemy of all forts, Low FPS.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 08:13:15 pm »

Mm. Since you're keeping pets, it might be caused by pet-impassable doors. If it is dorf-passable, they'll keep spamming pathing requests to open the door already you human, and this can lead to a noticeable drop with even just 1 door and 1 pet.

You may want to set visitor cap lower than the default 100, btw. Though you can make armor for humans, by using details menu, or even armor that's big enough for both humans and dwarves, if you make it for hyena or cougar men.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 12:37:31 am »

In short, FPS Death, and....uh... intelligent pets I guess? Plus other bugs. That has lead me to just playing Elder Scrolls Online and then Shadow of War instead of DF.

I suspect the low FPS is just an ambusher swarm hiding and path finding around as it came on sudden.
Other potential cause is our large number of keets. Going to be a pain to clear out.

And the pets....one of the mods I'm using are bits and pieces from an Elder Scrolls mod.
And among other things it has the "Dremora" and other Daedra as trainable of all things. But in the case of said Dremora and a few others, they are also intelligent.
Those familiar with creature modding may see the issues here.
Tried to train 5 of em, since they're "Intelligent" I can't pasture, meaning I needed to build the cages and connect them to a lever.
But cause already trained creatures can't be further trained in cages and the lever connecting took forever at least one reverted to wild.
I did send the King to let them out(lever was in the same room as the cages, cause why not?), but instead the wild Dremora ran off, cornered a guest in an abandoned mine shaft and then just went to town on him.
The still trained Dremora however a running around like they where dwarves, only if the trainer doesn't find them in time they'll go on the attack.
Daedra training has not been a fruitful endeavor.

Meanwhile caravans are acting up, It seems like anything brought by horseback(not on a wagon) isn't being put in the trade depot, so I can't buy half of what the caravan brings.
Oh and we've been getting a lot of guests, some of which applied for citizenship. Not familiarizing myself with there names, it's a gamble what I'll get when I say yes.
This has lead to 2 goblins joining the fort. Also a Human poet and Hammerwoman. The later of which I can't make large armor for so...not much help.

I'm picking the fort back up however, to see if I can fight off the greatest enemy of all forts, Low FPS.

You can make large armor, there a button to push at any building that produces clothing to change the size to a specific creature