Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is your favourite population cap?  (Read 13553 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
What is your favourite population cap?
« on: October 03, 2017, 05:44:54 am »

How many dwarves do you prefer to play your long term fortresses with? I'm trying to play with 80 but the immigration influx in my last fortress was so quick that we got into troubles.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favourite population cap?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 05:48:39 am »

How many dwarves do you prefer to play your long term fortresses with? I'm trying to play with 80 but the immigration influx in my last fortress was so quick that we got into troubles.

I just don't care. My computer can probably handle 200 with like 7 FPS.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 05:59:02 am »

I think mine's set at 150 or maybe 200, I forget. I build up temples and libraries so there's visitors on top of that. Sieges will slow stuff down (that cap's set pretty high too), but I don't play many long-term fortresses so by the time the fps beast bares it's fangs, I'm about ready to move on anyhow.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 06:10:11 am »

Population cap 7, always. Strict population cap varies.

If the original seven dwarves cannot form at least two married couples for long term population growth, I abandon the fort.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 07:53:25 am »

Dead civ, but using very selective petition acceptance to get a multi racial fortress. Thus, the caps never come into play.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 12:58:36 pm »

i usually set my population limit to 30, but i set the hard limit at 80 and allow births.

that way i have enough dwarves in the beginning to get things started, and over time children are born in my fort and raise the population closer to 80.

having them born in my fort makes it so that i get a fairly large heads up regarding making accommodations for them so i know years in advance to start making a room for them.

this is helpful for me because i usually make entire homes for my dwarves that include a bedroom, dining room and office; rather than just a small nook with a bed and a door
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 03:10:19 pm »

220.  But I get there slowly only letting in 5-10 dwarfs at a time.  (Always tempting to keep going to like say 500...  :P)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 03:36:22 pm »

Remember Goatmaan's sad fate...

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 11:25:40 pm »

... I get there slowly only letting in 5-10 dwarfs at a time.

Wait, you can adjust the population cap every time you start DF? Why didn't I think about this before! I thought this would be a parameter which I set only at the world-gen or embark. You see, I would also prefer a much slower rate of population growth in the fortress. Not as slow as by births only, but 5-10 people would be nice. Thanks for sharing this idea, I will try it.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 01:18:53 am »

... I get there slowly only letting in 5-10 dwarfs at a time.

Wait, you can adjust the population cap every time you start DF? Why didn't I think about this before! I thought this would be a parameter which I set only at the world-gen or embark. You see, I would also prefer a much slower rate of population growth in the fortress. Not as slow as by births only, but 5-10 people would be nice. Thanks for sharing this idea, I will try it.

Yeah you can change the init whenever. When you next start up DF, it'll adjust the population cap to whatever you set it to.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 04:14:28 am »

Yes, gradually increasing the pop cap works very well. In the rare cases where I've played civs that get regular migration waves I've adjusted the cap to be current pop + 10 after every migration wave until reaching my maximum. This typically results in 5-9 migrants, provided you've not been subject to a migrant repelling event.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 06:10:28 am »

I like to use 19 when breeding up, as by the time of first birth I'll be little more ready. Otherwise, eeh...I guess if not going to metropolis no reason to go beyond 80?

@Nagidal: If you use dfhack, there's this script to automatically adjust popcap once or after every migrant wave.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 07:39:09 am »

I usually set my soft cap to 80 and my strict cap to 100, but sometimes I'll set my soft cap to 40 if I want to raise my pop mainly through children.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 03:57:13 pm »

I like to use 19 when breeding up, as by the time of first birth I'll be little more ready. Otherwise, eeh...I guess if not going to metropolis no reason to go beyond 80?

@Nagidal: If you use dfhack, there's this script to automatically adjust popcap once or after every migrant wave.

Thanks, I think I will first try to do this manually. So far so good. I was welcoming the first winter with only 19 dwarves. No ambushes, just two thieves attacks. No werebeasts either. In winter I allowed exactly 1 dwarf more. He came and shortly thereafter we had the fist Strange mood. Looks like you get moody dwarves only after reaching a population of 20. I wonder if this limit is also the limit for beast attacks, ambushes and sieges. Anyway for the second Spring I want to up it to 30 dwarves. Everything is taking too long with only 20 dwarves. There's so much to be done that I'm neglecting military training just to do things quicker.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 02:30:22 am »

The mood limit is indeed 20, and if I recall correctly that's also when you get a mayor (seems to happen during summer).
There is no limit for thieves, necro attacks, and FB appearances. Sieges default to a limit of 80, although it can be reduced to 50 and 20 by changing the triggers (the limit can be increased as well). The Titan default limit is 80, and is a world gen parameter. Megabeast attacks default to 80, and their limits are buried in their individual raws. I haven't checked semi megabeasts, but would guess they also have triggers in their raws. I don't know if there is any limit for were attacks, but doubt it as I think I've had them visit while below a pop of 20.
Pages: [1] 2