Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43

Author Topic: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver  (Read 78923 times)

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver
« Reply #450 on: December 12, 2017, 12:49:20 pm »

I showed a bunch of Nopal's pictures to friends of mine who play Pokemon but not Dwarf Fortress. Confusion and hilarity abounded.

Edit to avoid double post: It occurs to me that this being a pokemon fort, the majority of us probably play pokemon - what do you think of swapping trainer IDs around?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:04:57 pm by Paddywagon Man »

Nopal

Re: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver
« Reply #451 on: December 12, 2017, 11:12:14 pm »

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:15:39 pm by Nopal »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 13, 2017, 06:59:24 am »

[Meanwhile, Glass mopes out back]
...?
Nopal you didn't include me in the cosplaying.
:P It's alright.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 13, 2017, 03:32:12 pm »

The title of the art piece was Overseers Cosplaying. My guess was that meant overseers only.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 13, 2017, 03:35:30 pm »

Ah. Whoops. Missed the overseers part.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 13, 2017, 03:54:07 pm »

I showed a bunch of Nopal's pictures to friends of mine who play Pokemon but not Dwarf Fortress. Confusion and hilarity abounded.
Dwarf Fortress is a weird game. Also, must have been difficult to explain the beard-flowers and stuff, sorry.

No, they were a huge hit. The weirdness was much appreciated. Thanks for all the work you put in (to all our fine artists)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 18, 2017, 10:42:24 pm »

Mmm. Did it really take me this long to update? The last... week(s?)... are kind of hazy. Well. You deserve more than this after such time, at least something with some *pictures*, but I only had about an hour's worth of attention, and, besides, I need input. Because, uh, I didn't ever actually set the population cap like Nopal asked. :|

Excerpts from A Million Little Pichus: A Memoir, by Maximum Spin Valecrafts:

After Mottled Petrel's election, events in GoldSilver settled down considerably, which was for the best, since at the same time I was struck by a sickness and unable to devote much attention to my businesses. But the respite is never long enough, and my recovery was interrupted with reports that a Bronzong in the caverns had become aggressive, injuring Birdy and his beloved Trumbeak. I mobilised the army (including, redundantly, Birdy himself) and hoped they would arrive in time. They did, and, though the Bronzong wasn't killed – they're far too resilient – it was successfully driven off without serious casualties.

Or so I thought, until I heard that it had fired off one last blast of Extrasensory as it ran off, which, by sheer terrible luck, killed the Trumbeak. I was just about to offer my condolences when I was informed that Birdy hadn't actually been told yet. Less than eager to be the one to tell him, then, I simply made a mental note to act surprised if he ever found out.

Just before the end of the next month, a party of migrants arrived at our borders. I had no reason to feel concerned about this at first, until my associate Nopal ran up to me and reminded me that his business interests required that GoldSilver's population not exceed 120 hands, for tax purposes, and that the newcomers already sighted would bring us dangerously close to exceeding that limit. Therefore, I dispatched Azalea to run to the front gate lever and pull it, which she accomplished just in time to prevent anyone from formally entering our walls, although one immigrant cook experienced a brief and ultimately harmless moment of flight when caught on the closing drawbridge. Though two of our less important citizens were caught outside, I decreed that the gate would remain closed until we could be certain that the incoming party was safely within the allowable population limit.

Regrettably, a quick headcount of the confused, milling peasants from atop the heights of Paddywagon Man's gulpin temple quickly made it clear that they were not. If those outside were allowed to enter, GoldSilver would technically boast 122 dwarven citizens, which is obviously unacceptable. Several of us argued for a while about what to do: let the outsiders starve to death (which could take months, since they have plenty of fresh water and forage plants), suspend Nopal's requirement, or simply execute two children (starting with Melkor). I was able to delay the problem without taking a side, though, by simply asserting that, logically, the gate must remain closed until the fortress came to a consensus — likely, I figured, to take longer than the remainder of my term as overseer. Unfortunately, I also knew that I'd want to open the gate before that, to receive the next caravans, so it would no doubt become necessary for me to intervene directly before long.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 19, 2017, 06:24:15 am »

I'd say just let them in and then set the population cap to 120. 2 dwarves isn't that far over the quota, and you could always just send two peasants to go wrestle that bronzong or something equally if not more dangerous.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 19, 2017, 01:58:59 pm »

*Birdy cancels debate: Mourning lost Pokémon.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Nopal

« Reply #459 on: December 21, 2017, 04:40:49 pm »

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:16:09 pm by Nopal »

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 22, 2017, 02:53:33 am »

Love the art as always!

Last fort had the badger for a perfect mascot. What should the mascot here be?

Joltik? Mega Medicham? A pond?

Maybe that infernape, if we're feeling very brave?

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 22, 2017, 06:22:29 am »

I think the pond should be the mascot, if any single thing has made the largest impact on the fort experience it is the pond that has saved us from countless enemies. Also, has anything even been done with the mega medicham yet?

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 22, 2017, 09:19:02 am »

Meanwhile, Azalea is stricken with another bout of well-masked depression after realizing that her actions have endangered so many.

And, Nopal...  Is that kid speaking Daemonic?!
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Nopal

« Reply #463 on: December 22, 2017, 09:20:17 pm »

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:16:24 pm by Nopal »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 22, 2017, 09:31:44 pm »

Your art style makes anything cute, but the red eyes, pointed teeth, and what almost seems like sunken eye sockets would probably have not come off as cute if anyone else had drawn it. Good job.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43