Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 43

Author Topic: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver  (Read 79012 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver
« Reply #315 on: November 23, 2017, 06:51:52 pm »

make a copy of the game and set that aside before you do that.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
Re: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver
« Reply #316 on: November 23, 2017, 09:53:53 pm »

make a copy of the game and set that aside before you do that.
No worries, I was joking.
Unless someone wants to do it?

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 23, 2017, 10:02:54 pm »

If you make a copy of it, it's worth a try to see how gloriously destroyed it is.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 23, 2017, 11:07:31 pm »

If you make a copy of it, it's worth a try to see how gloriously destroyed it is.
Glitches for everyone!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 23, 2017, 11:29:58 pm »

I could definitely do with more them in goldsilver.

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 24, 2017, 12:16:06 am »

Love the missingno Cole.

Sorry for the long wait, it's been a busy week but I'll have next part up Saturday

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 24, 2017, 12:20:35 pm »

Love the missingno Cole.

Sorry for the long wait, it's been a busy week but I'll have next part up Saturday
*bows*
And no worries! Thanksgiving week is crazy. I know I'm stuck in a house filled with dog hair for the next two days

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 24, 2017, 04:30:20 pm »

See, that's why we get our Thanksgiving out of the way a month and a half early.

So instead I get to freak out about finals.

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 24, 2017, 05:20:06 pm »

After some discussion with the other denizens of Goldsilver, I buy all of the elves' pokemon except the Gogoat. Mottled Petrel and Beirus argue a bit over the Hitmonchan, but Beirus ends up taking a Steelix instead while Maximum Spin takes the Mismagius.

It seems a little unfair, Maximum Spin having more than twelve thousand pokemon pets already. But I let it slide.

Petrel warns against claiming it, but I decide we can handle the risk. We've got two gengars running around already.

I'm stroking the lovely Arbok and thinking of a name for it when Shidoni elbows me out of the way.

"Amulets!" He yells, gloatingly. "Amulets! Everything is Amulets! I'm the Baron!"

With that he shoves me aside and walks off with my beautiful Arbok. I'm about to protest when I realize the irony of me, Paddywagon Man, setting a precedent of Overseers disobeying barons. I decide to let it go, but there's no way I'm forgetting this. When I'm baron of Goldsilver and Shidoni doesn't outrank me anymore...

I put the thoughts from my head, start crying, and make another amulet. On the next workshop over, Bearskie is furiously working with a pile of various materials - I try to make out what he's making but it's beyond me.

Meanwhile, Conibo the wannabe elf asks us to stop cutting down trees. "Yeah, that's fine." says King Bembul, as the sounds of falling trees and the smoke of charcoal furnaces fill the sky.

I go down to check on Bearskie between amulet mandates. He's just pleased as punch, holding up a really nice quern.

"Great job Bearskie, we sure did need another quern! Now go make two more querns to fill the mandate, and put them all on the massive heap of querns!"

Meanwhile, I turn my mind towards the industrial capacities of Goldsilver. There are a few inefficiencies holding things back, mostly in travel time between stockpiles and workshops. I move a few shops around and punch out a couple more staircases - nothing massive, but it speeds up production quite a lot. Azalea starts churning out armor for the expanded and better-equipped militia, stone blocks come rolling out of the mason's workshop, glass statues and clay bricks from the furnaces, and we start mass-producing mechanisms to facilitate better caging efforts.

Speaking of better caging efforts... anybody like pansage?

'cause we got pansage. I'm probably going to butcher most of these, but if anybody wants to spare one from the chopping block let me know.

We get a migrant wave early in the year, a refugee group from Fire-Type Lovers Anonymous. They're on the run after their last fort burned down and hoped they could crash here with us. They bring with them a charmeleon, a charizard, a torchic, a braixen, a quilava, a litten, and a few non-flaming pokemon of various types. Every one of them is owned already before any of you ask.

Not very many useful dwarves among them, although I draft a few into the militia and we do get one really awesome Pokemon Trainer. The influx of flaming death reminds me of our resident flaming monster, time I did something about the infernape problem...

I build a slate bridge, raised and ready to crash downwards at the pull of a lever. Once it's primed I unlock the door leading to the Infernape and give a whistle.

This is going to work great, you're gonna love it. Trust me, my mechanical death traps always work!

Zon the Infernape strolls down the corridor, arrives at the awaiting death bridge, and promptly melts it into magma with his searing flames.

JUST HOW HOT ARE INFERNAPE FLAMES?

I freak out and start evacuating people. He strolls around, lights a few tables and chairs on fire in the Mimikyu library, and then heads back to the stairs. I watch his progress nervously. Where's he going? He had us all completely at his mercy.

He goes down into the caverns, starts a fire, and brutally murders a couple Baltoy before returning to his old corridor. Some kind of Stockholm Syndrome maybe? He didn't know what to do with the freedom? Maybe he's just plotting something even more sinister?

We may never know, as I quickly send a couple masons who wall off the corridor. I've learned my lesson - I'm never messing with that Infernape again. That part of the fort belongs to him now.

The floral genocide has payed off! Turns out these nasty sliver barbs make a really cool black dye when milled. I've set up an aboveground farm producing rope reeds and sliver barbs, allowing us to produce large quantities of gothic black cloth year round. I set up another loom and clothier's workshop to accomodate the workload as the militia all don their black cloaks. We even have some sliver dye left over for eyeliner! Truly an intimidating force.

Nice! The trapping binge payed off in a non-pansage way! You can take this if you want Beirus, I know you missed out on the Hitmonchan.

But this new addition to the Pokedex is overshadowed by a much bigger event...

Our cloth and charcoal worries are over! A massive cavern absolutely chock-full of joltik silk is uncovered, along with a tall magma pipe. And most importantly of all, adamantine! Loads of it! And quite a ways above the magma sea, so we'll probably be able to mine quite a few levels of their priceless adamantine. I remember the Pocketball days all too well, though, so I won't excavate any below the first level before I've made any and all necessary precautions. There are also a lot of mega stones down here, but none for any of the Pokemon we have. The most useful one I see is Pidgeotite - I've seen pidgey flying around overhead so maybe we'll luck out.

Well I figured out where all the silk came from, there are a heck of a lot of Joltik down here. Zefer and Shidoni get into a fight with one, which proves annoyingly difficult to hurt.

Come on, hold still!

HOLD STILL! The evasion modifiers down here are a pain.

Harsher measures are necessary.

Sorry Mottled Petrel. I'll try to catch at least one but I don't want to risk anything when everybody's working so close to a pool of magma.

Meanwhile our scribe Bim shows off his courage by dismembering a tiny spider and then surrendering to it...

While bleep-bloop gets beaten up by a Gengar.

There are no serious injuries in all these many battles but it slows work down considerably. Meanwhile, as Summer arrives and I draw this chapter to a close...

Some random Cheese Maker wins a surprise election victory over incumbent MCreeper for his lauded "tough on Infernape" platform. Having no patience for populist politics, I kick him out and install myself as mayor through strength of arms rather than administrative ability.

Say it with me! J-U-N-T-A!

I'd wanted to make myself mayor for a while now as a stopgap before my barony, but I didn't feel comfortable usurping MCreeper. He was a buddy from Pocketball, he's lived through a lot. But I've got no problems with curbing this whiny Cheesemonger.

Anyways, this has been Spring and early Summer in Goldsilver, see you next time.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:45:19 am by Paddywagon Man »

FirePhoenix11

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels Programming: Went insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 24, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »

You know a question like this can't bode well, but...

HOW FREAKING HOT ARE INFERNAPE FLAMES
Normal fire material temperature (14000 °U)
Dwarvemon Mod (For all your Pokemon needs)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 24, 2017, 10:43:22 pm »

The bug type army can finally begin *cough* I mean, I'm sorry to hear that you guys had trouble down in the caves. I didn't think that vermin could put up that much of a fight, or ANY fight for that matter.

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 24, 2017, 11:04:03 pm »

These aren't vermin, just very, very small.

Now the previously vermin pokemon come in both vermin and non-vermin varieties.

I did manage to get you one Joltik so far, and there are still plenty in the cavern - hopefully more will wander into the traps.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:48:25 am by Paddywagon Man »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 24, 2017, 11:07:02 pm »

Joltik silk shoe?

Hm, I figured a joltik would be small enough to use as a shoe.

What is the irony, though?

Looks like bearskie is making another amulet....

I guessed wrong. But, an artifact quern doesn't satify a mandate either.

...You know, it occurs to me that querns would make fine floor decorations to give happy thoughts.

That's quite the migrant party. This will not backfire in no way whatsoever.

...Snrk. Should have used dolomite or periclase - two stone types that melt above 15k.

Setting library on the fire again, making everyone run...

Hey, shouldn't you be able to fight fire with fire - namely, those new fire types you just got? A surefire way to reduce the amount of fire in the fortress, izzit?

Ah well, someone else can free him.

Mm. Dry caverns. Well, muddy. That's quite a lot of bloodthorn saplings, or kindling if you will.

...Just how small are Joltik? At least they seem to not kill quickly.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 25, 2017, 12:35:37 am »

I'll take the Hitmontop. That should be fun.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 25, 2017, 12:29:25 pm »

Holy crap that Infernape is relentless.

Also, nooo... I worked really hard on that library. Aside from actually starting the fort, that was the only notable thing I even did on my turn! ;~; And nobody even got me my paper sheets...

Where am I supposed to do nothing and be useless now?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 43