Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43

Author Topic: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver  (Read 78883 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile

What bad thoughts king gain from living in a hole in the ground?
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kings, like all nobles, get bad thoughts from insufficient housing accommodations, "inferior" dwarves having better offices/bedrooms/dining rooms/etc., or unsatisfied mandates or demands. There may be others but they escape me for the moment.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile

Kings, like all nobles, get bad thoughts from insufficient housing accommodations, "inferior" dwarves having better offices/bedrooms/dining rooms/etc., or unsatisfied mandates or demands. There may be others but they escape me for the moment.
Yeah, you would know... grumble grumble...

To Maximum, the demons thing was mostly just for story; this is actually a whole different world I generated because of the new Dwarvemon version. I checked the Legends just to see though...

...Some group called The Midnight of Dances; a goblin gang, to be specific, kept attacking The Machine of Exaltation. Apparently there were a lot of new barons/baronesses at that period and a ton of dwarves were killed; I can't find the specific king at the moment, but basically my assumption is they wanted the king to be in this hole in the dirt so The Midnight of Dances won't kill us.

Nopal

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:24:28 pm by Nopal »

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To Maximum, the demons thing was mostly just for story; this is actually a whole different world I generated because of the new Dwarvemon version.
Sorry for stick in my nose Cole, but I'm pretty sure Maximum Spin said 'Thematically'

Also, the early king stuff occurred to me a couple times but DF send me a pop-up every time in embark screen sayin' "Your dwarves may assume important positions", or something like that, perhaps you missed it.
...Okay, I'm inattentive. I'm sorry. :(

And I did get that pop-up once for a previous world, but I got rid of that world because I was dissatisfied with the embark results. This one di not have a pop-up as far as I remember.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That prob'ly means that everyone else died off in a goblin attack or something then.

Welp, guess we're all alone now.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the bright side, Shidoni is only the baron of some burned-out ruin with no prospects, and the position of Baroness of Goldsilver is still up for the taking... heh heh heh.

Someday the outpost liason is going to ask one of you to make a choice, and on that day, even if you don't know it, Paddywagon Man will be eyeing you from the shadows with a very sharp spear in hand.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

...Okay, I'm inattentive. I'm sorry. :(
It's okay, I won't hold it against you more than a little. :P

Someday the outpost liason is going to ask one of you to make a choice, and on that day, even if you don't know it, Paddywagon Man will be eyeing you from the shadows with a very sharp spear in hand.
Help me become Queen, and you can have all the baronies you want. I'll even commission a book about you, Goblin Stripper Baroness: The Rise, Then Fall, Then Rise Again of Paddywagon Man.

Shidoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow. Halfway through that post, I was thinking, "Wow, I'm not even playing and I managed to screw everything up!" I was so proud.

Then bloop_bleep upstaged me so well I couldn't even get jealous. :-P

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Help me become Queen, and you can have all the baronies you want. I'll even commission a book about you, Goblin Stripper Baroness: The Rise, Then Fall, Then Rise Again of Paddywagon Man.
||
You're almost exactly as bad as bloop_bleep and Shedoni put together.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile

I've been lurking around for a while, and would like to humbly request a dwarfing for this thread. :)

xSkeletalx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From the journal of xSkeletalx Matkeskal, wandering gem cutter

MALACHITE 14

The trip from the Mountainhome has been arduous, and I find myself questioning why I felt it was a good idea to leave the jewelcrafting life behind to join this caravan to Goldsilver. Sure, shop space was getting tight in Artisan Row, and there was that little incident where someone hit Urist with a hammer... but I hadn't suspected it would take quite so long to get there. Nature is quite unsettling when it's all around you every single day. I saw a flock of Butterfree passing overhead yesterday and couldn't help but flip them the cave swallow. I felt better afterwards!

Still... I feel something calling me to Goldsilver. I can't quite place it, but my dreams are filled with strange, floating purple orbs; they're always fuzzy but are becoming more and more vivid the closer we get to our destination. I suspect one day soon I'll have a better understanding.

MALACHITE 18

We've finally arrived, and the tales circulating about this place really did not prepare me for what I'm seeing. The soaring stone walls lined with ballistae, parapets bristling with marksdwarves and sentry pokemon; the well-crafted paved road, lined with statues of heroes; the massive, engraved gate of black bronze. None of them are real. Goldsilver is a literal hole in the ground in the middle of the forest, manned by a mere handful of dwarves! Wild Pokemon wander nearby and can be seen in the river, and the underground living spaces are still being dug out. Arban save me, if these dreams weren't so impossible to ignore, I'd walk back to the Mountainhome and give that recruiter an up-close view at the pointy end of my next sabre cut gemstone!

The local leader introduced himself as RedMageCole, and asked me for my profession. I told him I could shape a jewel into anything he could imagine, and that I knew my way around a chisel, blade, and clamp; I've now been assigned as "Chief Dwarf In Charge Of Dwarven Medical Needs". I glared at him and flipped him the cave swallow, heading below to check out what medical facilities I'd be dealing with.

On one hand, I'd prefer to work with raw jewels instead of dwarf flesh, but I did manage to get my "wound binding" badge in Dwarfscouts, and that's the most medical experience anydwarf has here. Father always did want a surgeon in the family...

(Trying to hit the intelligence and weird aspects of my dorf; hopefully this works out!)

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Winter, Moonstone 1

So... Wow. Where to begin.

It's my last season, and I have to finish up my secret project, and also carve out some new rooms for these stupid nobles so that people can later just load them full of gold (that we don't have). To start, I'll put in some work orders for the furniture they need (what is someone gonna do with five cabinets and ten chests...?).

Winter, Moonstone 8

A wild Tyrogue appeared!

Paddywagon Man's Crobat was demolishing it, but it left to go do whatever and now a stonecrafter is getting badly beaten. Time to send in the military!

Nopal OHKOs it and is promptly unsatisfied.

Winter, Moonstone 9

Goddamn fucking seriously?

Thankfully King bloop_bleep just wants thrones which I was making a shitton of anyway for the secret project but Baron Shidoni wants amulets. Which I have to go out of my way to make. God dammit.

Regardless of my disdain towards Shidoni at the moment, I start on his quarters first since they don't have to be as large.

I make Shidoni's stupid amulets and he mandates we don't export any amulets. Sure.

Winter, Obsidian 1

An ambush!

By a... fluffy thing. Seriously?

FirePhoenix11's self-defense kicks in and he completely demolishes that thing.

Spring, Granite 1

...Wait, what!? That was the last season of Winter!? Jesus, nothing interesting happened! Again!

Well, I guess I can at least give a report.

The fort is very new and it shows. There are clusters of workshops in the main meeting area that probably could use some relocating. There's a wood stockpile with wheelbarrows, a finished goods/furniture stockpile, and a metal bar stockpile that I think I was originally making into a barracks but completely forgot to actually do that. There's also a weapons/armor stockpile.

You got a food stockpile and a economic stone stockpile. Speaking of which, there are some querns and screw presses there. I had originally had that ready for making paper sheets, but... I don't have the right plants. Please, please make paper sheets? I have the library and everything; you don't even need to mine out the library or do furniture for it! It's already finished!

You ask; it's finished? But I never showed it! That's because I didn't finish it until now.

I may not be as good as Paddywagon Man at recreating party sprites into DF, but dammit I tried. And I say it looks good.

Also, in between the library and the second basement floor is the unfinished king's room.

Other notes for overseers:
-There's a guy bleeding out outside because of that Tyrogue attack. I'd make a hospital once the king's quarters are done so he can get treatment.
-Try to get more Pokemon AND PAPER SHEETS from our next caravan.
-We have access to copper and silver, so I'm not sure how you want to make the baron and king happy, but do your best with what we got unless you want to dig to HFS.
-We got a decent amount of supplies for food and drink but it's still not enough to stockpile; keep harvesting plants and hunting for food, as well as making stuff for us to trade not amulets or chairs. so we can get more food from caravans.
-Current mandates are no exporting amulets or chairs as said above, the king wants three chairs made but I already put in the work order for that so you don't have to worry.
-I'll make the Pokemon document once we get more Pokemon, don't worry about that either.
-All of the current overseers are dorfed but some aren't; they're not crossed out on the front page.
-PLEASE GOD GET ME MY PAPER SHEETS PLEASE

Good luck! Passing onto Nopal.

Save File

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

This fort seems to lean towards the south.

The less said about being only rectangles, the better (got to say, DF has given me light dislike towards rectangular housing. This is arguably bad, as almost all buildings I've seen are rectangular. Even some pretty amazingly pretty buildings!)

The library, in comparison, is much better. Maybe smooth like 6 floor tiles to bring out the ...closer wing of the bird, but it works as silhouette already.

Are the dwarves here modded to be short-tempered that you prioritize the happiness of nobles over bleeding out peasant?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This fort seems to lean towards the south.

The less said about being only rectangles, the better (got to say, DF has given me light dislike towards rectangular housing. This is arguably bad, as almost all buildings I've seen are rectangular. Even some pretty amazingly pretty buildings!)

The library, in comparison, is much better. Maybe smooth like 6 floor tiles to bring out the ...closer wing of the bird, but it works as silhouette already.

Are the dwarves here modded to be short-tempered that you prioritize the happiness of nobles over bleeding out peasant?
"pretty amazingly pretty"

I deserve better treatment than that filthy street urchin! Ptui!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43