Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 102

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 67  (Read 227027 times)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 63
« Reply #1470 on: October 16, 2023, 04:17:02 am »

”Liel, do you perhaps have some information on methods of ancient defense against such tampering? I think it is better asked at medical facility, but we seem to be quite far from there.”

While speaking his mind about close brush with death, Ulkas felt the surrounding Mind Field. It was weak yet uniform, stretching over a vast distance. He could easily filter it to see better through the fog, but what reaction would more direct opposition yield?

”I think that before hunting down the cause of disturbance, it would be prudent to test if we are indeed trapped here, or it is misconception imagined by lesser undead. The fog that surrounds us acts as dispersed Mind Field and most creatures can barely affect it at all despite its thin nature. I’ve tested on small samples, but it should be possible for me to dominate this field in our surroundings and use the lapse to teleport upwards. At very least, it should reveal if there are more components to the trap other than guile and misdirection.”

Mentally dominate surroundings and proceed with teleport. See how fog - and its master - reacts to the approach. If successful, scout the lands from above - it might be possible to send mind probes and use Astrosa eyes.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: October 18, 2023, 08:25:26 am »

(If this is starting back up, I’d be down to be continue from my mimic guy if it’s allowed.)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: October 18, 2023, 03:17:12 pm »

(If this is starting back up, I’d be down to be continue from my mimic guy if it’s allowed.)
(Allowed!)

The next turn is expected today (within 12h) or tomorrow. My energy is a bit low since last week, as I'm a little sick.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: October 18, 2023, 03:38:27 pm »

Mine is too. Most of my creative energy has gone into a cauldron.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: October 18, 2023, 03:54:27 pm »

A cauldron, and a barrel...

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: October 19, 2023, 07:52:13 am »

Identify the rusted guardian, and slowly approach from a blindspot to attempt a sneak attack. If it appears to be massively stronger then me, don’t attack and try to search for a easier target.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 64
« Reply #1476 on: September 03, 2024, 10:53:19 pm »

Update 64: Back from another long break

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
How dare you hang on to (un)life with 3HP!? Another Mana Drain, and hopefully drain some MP this time!

Assuming the fight ends, hoover up the 10 Essence and the party will continue forth.

Previously, Eximius and Prias met with an adventurer group passing by the village of Safara. At first taking Prias as a guide to complete a mission of their own in investigating the Deadland, the adventurers then decided to follow the budding Hero in his quest to understand what ails the land of his home.

To that end, they must head toward Satroya, the ancient capital of ruined Nepkeros. The journey will be difficult, and they already came across a few creatures: Ashen Ogres, and now Skeletal Wyverns.

[Prias: Mana Drain]
Spoiler: Detail (click to show/hide)
Attack Roll: 12=[8]+4
Defender Roll: -3=[1]-4
[Successful Attack]
Damage (3d8): [16]
Mana Drain (STR3 vs RES1): [11] vs [8]
Mana Drain successful. Half of damage inflicted drained as MP.
MP Drain Value: 8
Eximius has recovered 8MP. 21/29 -> 29/29

Before the Skeletal Wyvern could retaliate, Prias jumped on the back of its neck and plunged the sword straigth through its skull. The undead creature howled in what seemed like pain as its magical energy was drained away at the same time the unlife force keeping it together dissipated through the gaping wound. And at last, the creature dropped lifeless.

Without so much as a word, your wielder took out the sword and wiped it in one firm move. He then passed by the lesser Essences of the monsters you just defeated, as you instructed.

+10 Lesser Essence

Seeing the adventurers had finished with their share of the job, Prias went to check up on them. None of them seemed to have been wounded, but he still asked just in case.

"Any wound?"

Shavrine, the Ranger of the party, replied with a nod.
"We are all good, no scratch even. We eat these for breakfast."
"Well, uh, I will pass thank you very much."

The party chuckled, and Shavrine spoke on behalf of his group.
"Anyway, we are ready to keep going. No dallying right?"
"It would be best no to, yes. Let's pick up the pace."

Prias and the adventurers then resumed course, leaving behind the monstrous skeletons. There was not much idle talk, with everyone being focused on the mission.

...Time passes...

Further into the Deadland 2 (Luck): [6] -Overshoot-

The deeper you went, the more it seemed time slowed to the point of freezing. The grayed ceiling of clouds, near unmoving, neither wind nor sound to break the heavy silence. If not for the thumping of their own heartbeats, the adventurers themselves might have doubted whether or not they were still alive.

Days passed, uneventful thanks to a combination of good fortune and skillful pathfinding. Now the capital would soon be in sight, as you had reached the inner Deadland where not even Prias had dared thread. There the curse took a more physical tangibility: a low fog of eerie white crawling across the floor like a skulking creature watching your every move. It was usually faint enough to be transparent, but where the fog was thick, danger was sure to lurk. To make matters worse, breathing was laborious to those not used to the Deadland, and apart from Prias everyone showed signs of unnatural exhaustion.

Something dawned on Prias. He privately spoke to you.

"Eximius, can I share something? I made a mistake as a guide. We traveled too fast through the Deadland, our luck and eagerness are now turning against us."

You understood what he was talking about. Their bodies didn't have time to adapt to the air of Nepkeros, and the scarcer air of the inner lands had caused a shock to their bodies, even though they were trained adventurers. Most likely a normal person wouldn't even be able to stand.

"I'm conflicted. I can't have them keep following in that state, but time is also of the essence. I don't think they will be able to recover even if we rest either. Drats... What do you think Eximius? I think the best would be for me to continue on alone, but maybe I am overestimating myself. Or underestimating them."

Current Location:
Nepkeros Eastern Deadland
--> Deadland
--> Inner Deadland (you are here)

Nearby Creatures:
Monsters [Enemies]
- None

Adventurer Party [Allies]
- Werbald the Squire [Exhausted]
- Malmey the Mage [Exhausted]
- Caromash the Scout [Exhausted]
- Shavrine the Ranger [Exhausted]
Exhausted: an affliction equivalent to a Medium Disadvantage (-2 to rolls)

Current Goals:
- Reach Satroya, the capital of Nepkeros
- Uncover the cause of the curse of the land

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Purrbul the Small Tiger Slime - (Egan_BW)
Feeling slightly hungry (this is the only feeling that Purrbul ever has), Purrbul glomps a nearby fern, thus filling out the important role of "vulnerable herbivore" in the local monster ecosystem.

Everything in the world has a role to play, be it little or big. Such as this tasty fern, whose role is to grow and become sustenance for you. The same could be said of you, whose role might similar: grow and become sustenance for something else. Or is it?

Well, that's not the kind of reflexion something such as you would have. All that occupies your limited mental space is usually hunger, but now some of that mental space is being freed as the fern disolve into nutrients inside you.

Luck: [2] -Bad-

As satiety starts lulling you into sleep, you hear a familiar humming sound. One that doesn't bring particularly pleasant memories. Jolting awake, you look around and see a shadow passes over you. It is a bird known for feeding on flower nectar with its long beak. It also happens that bird predates on slimes, which it also eats by stabbing and slurping on them with the aforementioned beak.

This one specimen has green and yellow feathers and look in good health, but that's not important at the moment: it has seen you, time to think fast!

Current Location:
Marandars
--> Monster Pit

Nearby Creatures:
- Unnamed Hummingbird monster Hostile
[HP??/?? MP??/?? STR?? CON?? POW?? RES?? INT?? IND??]

Current Goals:
- Feed and grow
- Not get eaten

Spoiler: Purrbul Status (click to show/hide)

The Swamp Slugipede - (Wolfkey)
Swamp Slugipede

Run away from the goblin. If i fail to get away from it, turn around and try to swallow it again.

Live to fight another day, that's probably what someone would say for you.

Escape:
Moderate-Hard (12): [14]
Outcome: [5] -Overshoot-

Having had enough whacking in the past few seconds, you dove back in the swamp and darted away as fast as you could. You don't know what the goblin did behind you, but it seems it failed to pursue you if it ever attempted that. You took a breath of relief, hiding in the shadow of a mound of mud and moss protruding from the swamp.

Right as you started to consider what to do now, you felt that mound move. Then it emerged from the swampy waters, revealing a massive frame covered in mud and moss. It was a mammal you had vaguely heard of in whispers, a large maw with flat teeth, a hide and fat layer both so thick it was near impenetrable. It was hornless, but had a huge bony bump on its forehead to bash victims with. Around these parts it's called a Bonehead.

It doesn't seem like it noticed your presence. That's a good thing, this creature is very territorial and knows how to throw a tantrum.

Current Location:
Sobol Swamps

Nearby Creatures:
- Unnamed Swamp Herbivore "Bonehead" [Unaware of your presence]

Current Goals:
- Not die

Spoiler: Swamp Slugipede Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
<Squack> "Those stupid bugs, they aren't thinking three-dimensionally!  They don't know much about up and down.  Lets get very high and see what they do next." </Squack>

https://youtu.be/CUcNM7OsdsY

(Non-squack, so the bugs can understand.)  "This isn't nearly enough to stop the Fire Lord.  There aren't even enough of you to catch us."

Gain altitude to get an advantage in terms of momentum or air positioning.  Both myself and Kra will use [Squack] to try and disorient the insects for a further advantage.  Kra can use any other abilities if she has them, I don't know her powerset.

Skra Status has been updated

Previously, Squacks initiated its plan to end the Elemanoptera menace for good. The first phase was under way, creating a sufficient enough disturbance to weaken the defences of the main hive, and then sneak in and assassinate the Queen. Right now, Squack and Skra are facing the first vanguard party of the insect monsters.

Skra replied with confidence and soared with you to the skies.
"Got it Squacks! They won't see us coming, yahaaa!"

Chasing after you, the insects robotically warned you for invading their territory. There wasn't a hint of emotion in their voices.
"Intruders confirmed. Order to eliminate. Order to eliminate."

Squack! (d10 vs INT): [10]
ES1: [4]
ES2: [6]
ES3: [1]
3EHL #1A: [3]
EH #2A: [3]
EH #3A: [2]
EH #4A: [8]
3EHL #1B: [5]
EH #2B: [1]
EH #3B: [8]
EH #4B: [4]

Once you had confirmed all the insects were chasing after you, you suddenly turned around and let out a combined squacking cry with Skra to great effect. The squads jolted in confusion as some thought they heard you from various directions.

Current Location:
Savarde Jungles (North)
--> Elemanoptera Hive Outskirts

Nearby creatures:
Initial Scouting Party:
-Elemanoptera Scout #1 [HP17/17 MP17/17 STR0 CON1 POW2 RES1 INT-1 IND-1]
-Elemanoptera Scout #2 [HP17/17 MP17/17 STR0 CON1 POW2 RES1 INT-1 IND-1]
-Elemanoptera Scout #3 [HP17/17 MP17/17 STR0 CON1 POW2 RES1 INT-1 IND-1]

Hunting Squad A:
-Tri-Elemanoptera Hunter Leader #1A [HP28/28 MP18/18 STR0 CON1 POW3 RES1 INT-1 IND0]
-Elemanoptera Hunter #2A [HP17/17 MP17/17 STR1 CON0 POW2 RES1 INT-1 IND-1]
-Elemanoptera Hunter #3A [HP17/17 MP17/17 STR1 CON0 POW2 RES1 INT-1 IND-1]
-Elemanoptera Hunter #4A [HP17/17 MP17/17 STR1 CON0 POW2 RES1 INT-1 IND-1]

Hunting Squad B:
-Tri-Elemanoptera Hunter Leader #1B [HP28/28 MP18/18 STR0 CON1 POW3 RES1 INT-1 IND0]
-Elemanoptera Hunter #2B [HP17/17 MP17/17 STR1 CON0 POW2 RES1 INT-1 IND-1]
-Elemanoptera Hunter #3B [HP17/17 MP17/17 STR1 CON0 POW2 RES1 INT-1 IND-1]
-Elemanoptera Hunter #4B [HP17/17 MP17/17 STR1 CON0 POW2 RES1 INT-1 IND-1]

Tri-Elemanoptera Hunter Leader: chosen individuals of the hive to lead mono-elemental members of the hive in various missions. They are able to use the elements of fire, ice, and lightning.
Elemanoptera Hunter: a mono-elemental member of the lesser caste, tailored for combat. Stronger and fiercer, but more fragile than scouting units. Overwhelm their targets with numbers and aggression.
Elemanoptera Scout: a mono-elemental member of the lesser caste, sturdier than the hunters to ensure better survivability in unknown environments.

Ally:
- Skra the Scorching Vulture (Stage 3)
[HP28/28 MP17/17 STR4 CON1 POW-1 RES1 INT-1 IND0]

Current Goals:
-Defeat the Elemanoptera
-Overturn the Awakening

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Skee, the Insect Parasite (Legendary Marksdorf)
Skee calmly analyzed the situation. Contrarily to the Arachnastinians, the Makralians lacked any real ranged firepower, which put them at a massive disadvantage on this battlefield. The heavy cavalry also seemed threatening, but the Great Horde had more than enough brawn to match this kind of fighter, and once the archers stopped raining arrows on their heavy frontliners, they would be able to break through with no problem. However, it's not like Skee and his pack could easily take down the archers... First, they would have to get to them unnoticed. Being discovered would risk an immediate counterattack, which would most likely skewer them right there and then. And then, even if they got to close range... Skee wasn't sure he could deal with that black leader. He hadn't faced any such Arachnastinian in the previous battles, and he could tell he was most likely much more dangerous than the small fry he'd had to deal with before. No matter how much he thought about it, there was no way to safely get rid of them.

Or at least... no way to do it alone.

Skee, remembering the tournament matches he had watched after getting crushed by Napash knew that in the entire great horde was just one Makralian that was perfect for this job. Klikshi the Gale. With his blazing speed, he could easily get to the archers, allowing you to follow right behind while they'd be distracted by his attack and take them out in coordination. Now the only thing left to do was contact him.

Using his new found [Telepathy], Skee attempted to speak with Klikshi, speaking these words. "Hello, Greater Leader Klikshi ? This is pack leader Shnapa, I'm speaking to you directly in your mind. I've spotted where the enemy archers are, along with what seems to be one of their leaders. I think that with your great speed, we could easily take them out and eliminate this ranged threat which we have no means to match. This would in turn allow other Greater Leaders such as Napash and Knakarsh to fight more easily. What do you say ? Just think your answer, I'll be able to hear it as well."

"Shnapa, we're gonna have to take out these archers. This shouldn't be too different from our last battle, but be careful of the Black Leader. Just like you said, you can fully handle the body now, although I'll intervene if necessary."

If Klikshi agrees, communicate the location of the Black Leader and his archers cohort to him telepathically. Then, warn your pack that the level of enemies in this battle will be greater than what they've faced before, and that they should try to save themselves if they're in danger. Once Klikshi has made his move, or is close enough, go with your pack to attack the archers, using [Mind Crusher] on the Black Leader and [Telekinesis] to try and snap his greatbow. Then, you can focus your [Telekinesis] on enhancing Shnapa's speed and the power behind his strikes. If arrows are shot at you, quickly use [Psychic Forcefield] to defend yourself.

If Klikshi doesn't agree, try using [Mind Crusher] from afar on the archers, while watching out for retaliation. Shnapa should be able to focus on dodging at the distance. This should at least relieve some of the pressure on Knakarsh.

Shnapa's Status updated

The battle between Makralians and Arachnastinian rages on. Skee has been analyzing the battlefield, searching for the best move that would let his side gain the advantage. He formulates a plan to take down the hidden archers, summoning Klikshi the Gale...

Contact Klikshi with Telepathy
Luck: [2] -Failure-

You sent the telepathic message to Klikshi, hoping for a positive answer. When you heard the reply of the Greater Leader, your hopes were quickly dashed.

"What's that? Shnapa? Ah right I remember you! I- Wrah! Sorry I'm busy with some fast as hell scum! I can try heading where you are once - COME BACK RAAH! - ONCE I AM DONE WITH YOU I-"

The thoughts of Klikshi became overcome with primal emotions, cutting off the telepathic link. It seemed the Greater Leader was himself very busy with something else, so they couldn't assist you immediately. But you were prepared for that outcome, and would push forward nonetheless.

You relayed your strategy and orders to the squad. They understood the gist of it, and swore not to overdo it to the point of risking their lives needlessly.

Operation Start!
Sneaking around the battle:
Easy 6: [11]
Outcome: [1] -Success-

Thanks to your prior battlefield analysis you identified a clear path to your target, one that would allow you to avoid needless confrontations with enemy warriors. Your squad moved swiftly across the battle line, and then in the trees while avoiding attention.

Finally the targets were now in your sights. The Black Archer wasn't alone, several other archers were under its command. You could count at least twenty of them, but there were more still. Too many for your squad to take all of them down, but that was okay. So long as you could thin out their numbers without risking your lives, that would count as a win.

You gave the signal to attack and everyone lept out.

Round 1:
Skee used Mind Crusher (2MP)
[Skee: Mind Crusher (+4 AL vs INT)]
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)
Skee Attack Roll: 14=[13]+1
Defender Roll: 4=[4]
[Successful Attack]
Damage (3d10): [19]
Confusion: [2] -Failure-

With your signature mental attack, you blasted the Marksman with such mental force it recoiled in pain. It immediately recovered its bearings and started aiming at you, but your Telekinetic attack was faster.

Skee used Telekinesis (2MP) on the Chitin Greatbow.
[Skee: Telekinesis (INT vs STR)]
Skee Attack Roll: 6=[5]+1
Defender Roll: 9=[9]
[Failed Attack]

The material of the greatbow was sturdier than you expected, so rather than crush it you opted to pry it out from the hands of the archer. A fierce struggle ensued between the Arachnastinian and the invisible force pushing and pullibg on its greatbow. In a feat of pure determination, your opponent managed to break your telekinetic attack and resumed aiming at the charging Shnapa. Just in case, Shnapa hardened his fur and you created a Psychic Forcefield.

Shnapa uses Fur Hardening
Skee creates a Psychic Forcefield (-4MP)

[Arachnastinian Marksman: Greatbow Spearshot (+4 AL vs CON)]
Marksman Attack Roll: 9=[6]+3
Shnapa Defender Roll: 10=[1]+9
[Failed Attack]
[Open to counterattack]

The sound of a thick silken rope spliting the air was followed by a heavy whistle from the fired spear. Even with his enhanced reflexes, Shnapa wouldn't have been able to dodge the blinding fast arrow which had pierced through your forcefield with brute force alone. Fortunately the forcefield caused the greatarrow to veer off course slightly, just enough for Shnapa to dodge it by a hair.

Shnapa couldn't let the marksman fire that bow again. He closed the distance and brought down the banera blade with the savagery of the Makralian style.

[Shnapa: Banera Tail Slash]
Shnapa Attack Roll: 19=[11]+8
Defender Roll: 14=[12]+2
[Successful Attack]
Damage: [1]

Shnapa felt the blade scratching against the incredibly tough chitin, cracking it slightly. The Arachnastinian drew what looked like an ebony scimitar with a glistening edge.

Makralian squad abstraction:
-> Knap-knap 1d12 (+2): 10=[8]+2
-> Apa-nap 1d12 (+2): 4=[2]+2
-> Kenep 1d12 (+2): 12=[10]+2
-> Peshnep 1d12 (+2): 13=[11]+2

Meanwhile, the squad was doing overall quite well. Save for Apa-nap, they took no damage so far and had started harassing the archer lines.

------Telekinesis actions have been updated------
Telekinesis [Innate Intermediate Magic]:
> Telekinetic body support: Cost 1MP. Confers a Medium Advantage (+2).
> Telekinetic object manipulation: Variable cost depending on the target's weight and size. Move an object. INT vs STR if the object is wielded by someone.
> Minor Telekinetic attack [Basic: +1 AL / 2MP / INT vs CON]: a direct telekinetic attack.
> Medium Telekinetic attack [Intermediate: +3 AL / 6MP / INT vs CON]: a strong telekinetic attack. Powerful, but energy inefficient.
------Telekinesis actions have been updated------

Current Location: Central Savarde Jungle -- Arachnastinian Territories --- Inner Arachnastinian Territories
Nearby Creatures:
[Immediate Surroundings]
-Arachnastinian Marksman
[HP5/25 MP10/21 STR 2 CON 1 POW 0 RES 1 INT 0 IND 0]
-Arachnastinian Archers [20+]
[HP15/15 MP??/12 STR 0 CON 1 POW 0 RES 1 INT 0 IND -1]

-Shnapa's Pack [Friends!]
[HP10 MP10 STR 1 CON 1 POW 0 RES 0 INT -1 IND -1]
-> Knap-knap 8/10
-> Apa-nap 4/10
-> Kenep 8/10
-> Peshnep 8/10

[Big Battle!]
-Hundred of Arachnastinian
-Hundred of Makralians

[Makralian Horde]
-The Horde Leader: Krauraka
-The 7 Greater Leaders
-The 39 Lesser Leaders
-The 24 last contestants
-Nearly a thousand of Adult Makralians

[Arachnastinian "Spiderfolk" Kingdom]
-Countless Arachnastinians
Current Goals:
-Defeat the Arachnastinian Archers
-Win the War between Makralians and Arachnastinians

Spoiler: Skee Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 10:11:32 pm by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: September 03, 2024, 10:53:52 pm »

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
Azarian recoiled away, focusing purely on his own survival and leading the chimera way from where the group was concealed as he sought to keep from being struck again. The sensation reminded him of the numerous times he had brushed with death already, and he did not wish to experience that horrid aching sensation and confusion again.
(wow, thats some seriously bipolar rolling, and both rolled 1s on defense as well, which is very unlikely. guess i’ll get two shotted.)

Azarian is in dire straits. An unexpected encounter with an undead chimera has left him with half his vitality, and the relentless beast shows no sign of stopping.

Escape
Hard 14: [5]
Outcome: [3] -Failure-

The lumbering mass of dead creatures was far faster than one would expect, and more importantly faster than you. You darted with a speed you didn't know yourself capable of, but that wasn't enough. You heard a roar, now so close you were certain of it. The creature had already caught up, and now an arm thicker than a trunk was crashing down on you.

[Undead Chimera: Arm Swing]
Attack Roll: 4=[4]
Defender Roll: 2=[2]
[Successful Attack]
Damage: [17]

There was a shadow, then darkness as you lost consciousness after an explosion of pain. Death, again...

(...)

Luck: [5] -Critical Success-

From the darkness, a light. And a voice. Annoying. Familiar. Reassuring. Something cool flowing, a liquid? A beat. Your own. Alive... alive?

A sense of relief cleared out the fog over your consciousness, and with it incessant jolts of pain coursed throughout your body. You were hurting terribly, and that strange relief was only exacerbating the parts of your body that were hurting.

Still in a daze, you saw Toc. What had happened to him? His face was bloodied with his blood, and he had lacerations all over. One of the human was pouring something on you, hoping they weren't pouring it on some critical part. The silvery liquid was the source of the relief, and you could feel your wounds there not aching that much anymore.

"Azarian? Azarian! Alive, Azarian alive! Waaaah!"

Your goblin friend's face was now covered in snot and blood and tears, such that he didn't even look like a goblin anymore to you, more like a slime. What kind of physiological reaction was that even, you wondered. Now that you had become somewhat accustomed to the pain, you only wanted to sleep. And maybe know how you came out of that alive, beforehand.

Toc wasn't able to articulate much with all these fluids obstructing his mouth. Yevlaine spoke on his behalf.
"Your friend rushed in to save you after hearing the roars. Honestly that we managed to escape was a miracle of sort, I thought we were done for. And... er, I owe you an apology. You risked your life for us, and we saw what your goblin friend did... it was really touching. It might sounds strange to you, but I didn't know monsters could, well, display such emotions and care. You have our full trust now. Sorry for doubting you, Azarian."

The other humans were on the side, with sorry expressions. It seems they were thinking the same as Yevlaine.

Current Location: Lineine Woods
Nearby Creatures:
- None
Allies:
- Toc the Teal Goblin and Friend [Wounded]
[HP4/10 MP10/10 STR0 CON-1 POW0 RES1 INT1 IND-1]
- Human Party Wary
> Shiny and long weapon holding human, named Breios
[15/15 12/12 STR1 CON0 POW1 RES1 INT1 IND2]
> Human with long hair holding some strange object, named Yevlaine
> Big human like a small ogre, holding nothing. Named Patreio.
> "Sleeping" on the back of the big one human, named Paimni Badly Wounded

Current Goals:
-Survive
-Learn more about the humans

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

The Horned Hound - (Prophet)
This was the chance it had been waiting for. It's warden might be stronger, but the Hound's senses were superior in a situation of compromised vision. While the other's sight was obscured, it used this chance to attempt to slip off into the storm, and escape. It favored it's chances in the snow, over staying with it's cruel captors.

Under cover of the storm, you escaped without much difficulties. You created a sufficient enough distance between you and the force to be sure they wouldn't be able to catch up if they somehow noticed your disappearance. You jubilated, freedom at last! Although you wished you could have ripped off the throat of one of your captors before, one couldn't have everything in life.

Luck: [1] -Critical Failure-

You wandered a bit in these snowy wastes, trying to find someplace where to take refuge. The snow was piling on and on, and seeing through the intensifying storm was getting very difficult. Then you sensed something. A shadow. Two shadows. Maybe more.

An ambush! Predators of these lands most likely. It made sense, isolated as you were you made an easy prey for those who hunted in groups.

Perception:
Hard 14: [7]
Outcome: [2] -Critical Failure-

You cannot guess what you are facing, or where it will come from. Do you attempt something?

Current Location: Unknown
Nearby Creatures:
- Unknown ambushers

Current Goal:

Spoiler: Horned Hound Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
”Liel, do you perhaps have some information on methods of ancient defense against such tampering? I think it is better asked at medical facility, but we seem to be quite far from there.”

While speaking his mind about close brush with death, Ulkas felt the surrounding Mind Field. It was weak yet uniform, stretching over a vast distance. He could easily filter it to see better through the fog, but what reaction would more direct opposition yield?

”I think that before hunting down the cause of disturbance, it would be prudent to test if we are indeed trapped here, or it is misconception imagined by lesser undead. The fog that surrounds us acts as dispersed Mind Field and most creatures can barely affect it at all despite its thin nature. I’ve tested on small samples, but it should be possible for me to dominate this field in our surroundings and use the lapse to teleport upwards. At very least, it should reveal if there are more components to the trap other than guile and misdirection.”

Mentally dominate surroundings and proceed with teleport. See how fog - and its master - reacts to the approach. If successful, scout the lands from above - it might be possible to send mind probes and use Astrosa eyes.

Liel took a moment to think up an answer.
"I do not have such information available, but we could reverse-engineer something. My body is equiped with what you would call ancient defences against tampering. But... well that would fall in the realm of classified information, I am not exactly allowed to reveal everything about myself. I could maybe skirt around the interdiction using another clause... if my wielder is in mortal danger, then I should have enough authority to override the interdiction and make an exception."

If that ring could move, you were sure it would be moving left and ring from the inner conflict.
"Although I can't exactly use THAT lightly, the logs will be studied by my administrator unit, Xatares that is, and I might face decomission if it is found I severely abused of my privileges."

You understood that the faction of ancient artifacts were very meticulous in upholding their old codes and restrictions. Most likely to avoid another case like the Rogue Core of Ersenas, or something similarly catastrophic to them.

Well, you would formulate an answer after testing the waters.

Mental Domination (INT7 / Advanced Mental Technique):
Easy 4: [19]
Outcome: [5] -Overshoot-

To you, dominating and clearing this mental fog was as easy as blowing away a cloud of smoke. Your action didn't go unnoticed, but what did you care? Let whatever it belonged to come if it wanted, you weren't exactly trying to hide yourself. Anyway.

You focused on the fog and your surroundings, analyzing every steps, every change occuring.

Analysis (INT7):
Easy 8: [2]
Outcome: [1] -Critical Failure-

Everything went as expected so far: clearing the fog removed the spatial restriction that prevented you from teleporting away, and the fog kept trying to resist your domination and fill back this cleared space. Like a tether pulled by a curious hand, the fog stretched back and forth, sending information to its origin.

You iniated the teleport, locking coordinates upwards from your current position.

[Advanced Magic: Translocation] Short Range Teleportation (4MP)

Something went wrong. Your coordinates were correct, but then right as you were about to translocate, the coordinates went awry and you quickly shut your spell off. There was something terribly wrong with the new coordinates, and you were partly sure that if your spell had gone through, you would have been sent into an unknown place from which you might not have been able to come back.

Astrosa saw that you cancelled the spell, and were now thinking about something.

"Is everything all right?"

Current Location:
Deadland of Easenval (East from Fordania)
Nearby creatures:
- ?
Current Goals:
-Escape the Deadland

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Kori, the Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)

Like many other residents of the Frozen Summits, Kori has become involved in the conflict between four pretenders to the title of Lord of the place. At the moment, Kori has decided to support Suro the Ice Sword Spirit whose followers are mostly made up of spirits and undead. Today is the day the White Fang has promised to return.

The promised dawn rose.

And soon there was a great agitation in the winds, messages from panicked sprites carrying ill tidings: the White Fang had returned as promised, but he wasn't alone. A great host of horned strangers and their thralls from a faraway place were following him.

The old lord let out a roar audible across all summits.
"Mountains, know of the return of your lord! Let all hear of the coming demise of the challengers and their ilk: their blood and entrails will cover the mountain whole!"

Answering to the challenge, a roar rose along with a behemoth of a monster from beneath the forest.
"The only entrails that will spill are yours and those of your allies!"

An avalanche of claws and fur emerged from the cover of the woods, crashing into the invader forces. An even greater tremor was heard as the two Beasts clashed, the shockwave of their battle raising a great cloud of snow and dust from which sometimes one could see their massive frames.

(...)

Suro who until then had been observing the scene spoke to his followers. Your head was poking out from the crowd.
"The hotheadedness of the Broken Fang works in our favor. Let us head out as well. I want you to slay the invaders while I go take care of the White Fang. Be careful all, and may fortune be with you all."

Current Location: Iron Ridge - The Frozen Summits -- Frost Tree Woods
Nearby Creatures:
-Allies of Suro
> Niveris, Spirit of Frozen River
> Hari the Snow Spirit
> Scar and Frostbite the Husks
> Eyeless and Half-Maw the Undead Wolves
> Crooked, Gut-Hole, Coldfur, and Rotscale the Undead Beasts.
> Hooves the Undead Centaur Beast
> Four Wings the Undead Winged Beast
> F'nelshee the Wraith
> Folphyr the Spirit of Northern Wind
> Hari the Spirit of Snow
> Karorai the Mountain Spirit.
> ... and a lot more.

Current Goals:
-Grow

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Moretti the Mimic (Knightwing64)

Identify the rusted guardian, and slowly approach from a blindspot to attempt a sneak attack. If it appears to be massively stronger then me, don’t attack and try to search for a easier target.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Identification (INT):
Moderate 10: [8]
Outcome: [4] -Failure-

You couldn't really gauge the danger this being posed to you. It might even have been weaker than you for all you knew?

Moretti: Sneak Attack
[Moretti: Surprisingly Sharp Teeth]
Attack Roll: 8=[6]+2
Defender Roll: 11=[11]
[Failed Attack]

You attempted to sink your teeth in the rusted metal, only for them to glance off. This thing was tough, you could tell it wouldn't be easy to bring it down! The armor looked down toward you, and tried to swat you with its hand.

[Rusted Guardian: Rusted Punch]
Attack Roll: 2=[2]
Defender Roll: 8=[8]
[Failed Attack]

The impact of metal on metal let out a loud banging sound. Despite this, you emerged completely unscathed.

Current Location:
-Some unknown dungeon?

Nearby Creatures:
-Rusted Guardian
[HP? MP? STR1 CON1 POW? RES? INT? IND?]
[A quite massive complete set of armor fit for an ogre. Rust and grim cover the dull metal, giving it a... vintage look I guess.]

Spoiler: Moretti Status (click to show/hide)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: September 03, 2024, 10:55:08 pm »

Welp, here we go. It's been a while, ahahaha. Haha.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: September 03, 2024, 11:07:16 pm »

((Hey there!))

Purrbul stares at the bird. Well, Purrbul doesn't have eyes, so the slime stops for a moment listening to the buzzing. Well, there's nothing in particular that Purrbul can really learn from listening to the bird, so it's more like Purrbul is briefly deep in thought. Except Purrbul isn't very good at thinking, so really it's more like a frozen indecision moment.

Of course since such a simple creature isn't really capable of anxiety or terror or regret, there's a sharp limit to how long it can remain frozen in fear, not knowing what to do. After all, there is only the one thing.

Glomp the bird! Everything is food, therefore bird is food. Glomp is used to eat food. Bird is food, therefore it is possible to glomp bird.

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: September 04, 2024, 12:20:50 am »

The slugipede moves slowly away from the "mound", if spotted, it moves less slowly.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: September 04, 2024, 06:17:45 am »

<Squack> "We're going through em.  No point in sticking around with these losers, we want to get their boss.  Break through first and then we sneak around  You take the fire ones." <Squack>

Dive.  I'm above them, dive through an entire squad of them, using Melee Tornado to strike each one in turn, starting with the leader.  Weakpoint strike the leader.  Bull through them and try to maintain speed heading down and away.

If we get through, taunt them:

"Let me know when the real army shows up, not you losers!"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 06:45:59 am by Devastator »

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: September 04, 2024, 09:28:53 am »

Eximius fell silent, letting out a heavy sigh after a few moments.

"They've told us they're ready to risk their lives for our cause. But in the state they're in... we can't force them to continue," The ring groaned, clearly unwilling to simply disband the party, "... Ask them if they're still willing to continue like this...  whether they leave or endure, it has to be their decision. As for us - we can't stop here. If we'll have to do it alone, so be it."

Potential heroic party disintegration ho! (hopefully not, it'd have lasted a whole 5-ish turns if it ends now ._.')
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: September 04, 2024, 02:00:53 pm »

Ulkas grinned, excitement overriding instinctual reaction at the close brush with malignant unknown.

”Nope, definitely not alright!”

“I could not even tell if that was my own ominous premonition, or the fog has adjusted information flow to feed me its own predictions. Hm… So, I will require some more experiments, for now without translocation, as it seems that anchoring to reality here is close to impossible, spellwork… just slides into something dangerous. A gaping maw? An isolation chamber? An echo of an illusion matrix?”

Ulkas shrugged, not dwelling too much on guesswork. As his previous experience has shown, when there was either a lot of information or irritating lack of it, something - or someone - was trying to mess with his mind and it would be unwise to send his mind onto a wild chase for possibilities.

”Liel, we understand your plight and will return to conversation later. For now, could you help me with analysis? I mostly require support with second-guessing, as I am not entirely sure if information I gather right now is devoid of interference. As we have rather different means of observing the world, mayhaps there would be some notable differences?”

Check the fog again, this time using Liel’s help to second guess my findings.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: September 04, 2024, 05:57:43 pm »

The Hound was not deterred, not with freedom so close! It will feint a retreat, using it's keen ears to listen for and keep track of the first Predator closing in on the sign of weakness, then take the opportunity to catch it by surprise with a rapid turn into a Piercing Charge of it's horns.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 102