Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 3789 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you discover Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 10:22:21 pm »

I think I saw it mentioned on some Roguelike forum back in about late 2006, early 2007 and went to investigate from there.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 11:02:55 pm »

I think I heard about it from someone I know in real life, but it was so long ago now that I'm not sure. I read Headshoots/Syrupleaf almost immediately after and that was enough to get me to try to learn how to play it. That was in 2012, and I've been playing on and off ever since.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 11:03:27 pm »

Bored searching that actually lead at first to slaves of armok: god of blood. Which I thought was confusing and kinda eh, I checked not that much longer and while looking through toadys other games as a bored and poor college student I found this part of the board.
Somewhere like this for me, but when I was 15 or so.
Was really wondering where I could find good roguelikes--since most games didn't work on my device, and I wanted to find an RPG/Strategy game I could actually PLAY because nothing graphically amazing could be done, as I noticed I was skilled in those genres (and I'm poor, and have no money to divert to games)...wow my laptop is already a long time running until now ._.
I stumbled upon DF, tried downloading it, and got confused with its ASCII scale and wondering how to make sense of water and other notes that had notes that aren't applicable [i.e. That one farming 'farm plot needs water!' messed everything up] and then came back to it 2 months later with hindsight pushing me to try these things more even if it looks confusing at first. One tiny bit of how I developed Resilience and openness to experience. :P

Otherwise, in joining the forum, it was around a year or so after that because of reading up good stories people wrote that piqued the imagination very well.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 11:48:22 pm »

A very old print magazine.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 12:00:53 am »

As I recall, it was mentioned/recommended on a chat channel in a MUD I frequented.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 12:29:07 am »

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 12:56:53 am »

NY Times?

I'm about seventy percent sure that it's the July 2007 edition of Games for Windows, but confirmation will need to wait until I have to get into the local library archives.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 04:33:39 am »

Russian Wikipedia's page about DF.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 05:38:35 am »

One particular day I was exceptionally bored and looking for a game which was more than an idle time-waster. Didn't find Dwarf Fortress then, but I did start looking into roguelikes, and ended up finding Dwarf Fortress. I thought Dwarf Fortress was terrible and had no idea what I was doing, stopped playing it. After 2 months I remembered that curious game with the odd matrix-like graphics and went back to it, started learning how to play it, then began to realize just how special this gem was. ☼Dwarf Fortress☼ is easily the best game in the world imo

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 07:17:10 am »

I discovered bay12games through WWI Medic, on some site dealing in freeware and possibly abandonware games (either GameHippo or The Underdogs). This was shortly before the first gameplay footage of DF was publicly shown, I believe.

I recall one of the first things I saw of it was a bunch of dorfs shooting projectiles at an oncoming D before getting covered in a burst of flames.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 08:59:06 am »

TV Tropes.

Just TV Tropes really. Thought it was cool, it was cool, the rest is history.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 09:09:52 am »

I found Boatmurdered's entry on tvtropes. It sounded fun. I tried it out. It was fun.

Same.  Or, well, I know I found it on TV Tropes, but I don't remember the exact article.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 01:17:08 pm »

I think I saw it on slashdot or something, and eventually found this handy tutorial to teach me to play:  https://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 10:25:32 am »

NY Times?

I'm about seventy percent sure that it's the July 2007 edition of Games for Windows, but confirmation will need to wait until I have to get into the local library archives.

I can confirm that it was the July 2007 issue of Games for Windows. Also, for some inexplicable reason, my college library archived the entire run of Games for Windows.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 01:18:25 pm »

Somebody posted some screenshots on the forums on Home of the Underdogs (an abandonware site that had a pretty good community), and I remember asking "What the hell is that? Some kind of ASCII roguelike that shit the bed?"

Grabbed a copy (some flavor of 0.21 -- the old 2D version) and was engrossed. Think it was 2-3 years before I ever created a forum account, mostly because HOTU went kaput and I needed a new online home.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3