Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22

Author Topic: Power and Pulse: Crimson Sky  (Read 38405 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Power and Pulse: The Invisible Hand
« Reply #240 on: November 05, 2017, 07:13:09 am »

Regain control of my mech!

You push the button labeled "regain manual control". A video starts playing on all screens.

I love you Egan. That was beautifully done.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 05, 2017, 03:46:49 pm »

What are those marionettes made of, however? The material is important for sameshifting, it can't just be something superficially similarly shaped. You might be able to control a human-sized wooden marionette with a smaller one, but it's implausible you'd be able to puppet a human.
Noted. The marionettes were indeed intended to be used for human puppeteering, but they're wooden, so that's off the table.

Should I post an action this turn, or wait for some kind of introduction scenario?
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 05, 2017, 05:34:17 pm »

What are those marionettes made of, however? The material is important for sameshifting, it can't just be something superficially similarly shaped. You might be able to control a human-sized wooden marionette with a smaller one, but it's implausible you'd be able to puppet a human.
Noted. The marionettes were indeed intended to be used for human puppeteering, but they're wooden, so that's off the table.

Should I post an action this turn, or wait for some kind of introduction scenario?
You could have your marionettes be made out of human flesh or something- I'm sure a Fleshshifter could make the process of making those marionettes be morally sound.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 06, 2017, 04:43:30 am »

Quote from: Radio_Controlled
"My name is Lana Silvers, first Expeditionary Marine corps, mech support. Are you our backup?  If yes, the locals have weird magic powers, be advised. One or two of our pilots may be compromised, they mowed down my entire squad."

"Hahaa, of fucking course!  Zrand couldn't lead that stick out his ass, let alone real pilots in a firefight!  Bastard got what he deserved, finally.  You got the numbers for those pilots?  Bah, of course you don't, you're just some mook.  Thanks for the info, now shut up and get off my comms!  Your shrieky voice clashes with my tunes."

Narcissus will shut Lana off, if she doesn't hang up first, then see about calling up the pilots himself.  Keep blasting the music on full volume, just shout over it while talking.

"You son of a bit-" [CLICK]

Lana was angry, but not surprised. This was par of the course when it came to mech pilots. Half, shit most, of them seemed to be suffering from a mix of megalomania, malignant sociopathy and immense incompetence all lavishly marinated in vainglorious self-importance. Barking mad, in short.

'The mechs fly, the marines die, and then the pilots hoard the glory.' was an old saying in the corps that wasn't going to go out of style anytime soon it seemed.

((And apparently they also try to copy people's speech colors. D:  :p ))
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:14:30 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 06, 2017, 09:17:52 pm »

I made a sheet. Is there anything wrong?
Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:34:45 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 06, 2017, 09:20:59 pm »

((Well, that self-destruct is anti-game from a competition standpoint since on death you destroy the reward for killing you.
Just... putting that out there.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 06, 2017, 09:28:46 pm »

(Edited. I was thinking that since everyone has some sort of ranged attack, I can only fight on melee and have Frail, it would be fair to at least kill anything that is on melee range on death.)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 06, 2017, 10:53:20 pm »

((Your team is the all-ranged team, my team, the team you'd be fighting, is meele-heavy. so... yeah. Your basic premise is misplaced.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 06, 2017, 11:01:09 pm »

Trying to fight these mages in melee with a Titan will be like trying to kill an annoying fly that never lands, except your arms have a thousand times the inertia. Melee Titans can work, but they're for killing mechs and beasts, not mages. A melee focused Hardsuit or Tech Gear (axe-wielding drones? :3) would be a better choice.
Also the higher-ups deny your request for a giant bomb to wear on your back. Something about needlessly endangering ground troops.

Would you be willing to expand on your character being a "crazy old man"? That doesn't give me a very good picture of how he acts in practice.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:05:22 pm by Egan_BW »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 06, 2017, 11:09:48 pm »

Some sort of ERA or small explosives for close in work might be doable.  Or an electric field that shocks people who come close.  Lots of close-in weapons that may not require the most mobility.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 06, 2017, 11:11:08 pm »

While precluding people from taking cover behind you. :p

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 06, 2017, 11:43:18 pm »

Well, when you run out of options, it's time to get creative. hey, X4 This might sting a bit, but I'm getting the guest off you.

Ferrus will launch his missile at the Mage crawling over the titan, If he can hell have it activate it's submunitions and haave them hit the mage rather than the main warhead.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Power and Pulse: Ludicrous Gibs
« Reply #252 on: November 07, 2017, 01:33:25 am »

Well, when you run out of options, it's time to get creative. hey, X4 This might sting a bit, but I'm getting the guest off you.

Ferrus will launch his missile at the Mage crawling over the titan, If he can he'll have it activate it's submunitions and have them hit the mage rather than the main warhead.

Intent not to be outdone by the titans, Ferrus levels his enormous missile launcher on an ally.
[Contingent: 5]
The missile screams through the air for a half-second before shattering into a small swarm of angry, buzzing, burning, explosive insects. By some amazing feat of luck each and every one of their tiny brains recognises the target, and they race in for the kill.

[Surprise half dozen missiles to the face: 2]
Thomas, preoccupied with drawing out his inner strength, fails to notice anything, and all half dozen of the submunitions slam into him and explode.
[And now the true test... hold fast, or expire?: 3]
Three of the missiles dig into Thomas's abdomen and explode, ripping him in two and flinging the upper half a yard away. One collides with his left shoulder, turning that limb into useless meat. The remaining two hit his legs, turning that now dead flesh into a quite large and messy stain on X4's titan.

[Perception - Wise: 1 5]
Ferrus watches where Thomas lands after that detonation, in a bed of leaves. That injury is easily enough to kill any normal human, but the weaponmaster groans and opens his eyes. Still conscious, and not screaming.

Alright, let's try and focus my remaining mana energy towards healing my eyes, or at least partially regaining vision. Rest them and blindfold them like I said I would after I do all I can to heal them.

Mana can help you correct for injuries and survive things that might normally kill you, but it can't directly heal what's broken. You cover your eyes with a bandage and let yourself rest for a bit, trying to let your magic take over where your body has failed you. Gradually you come to realize just how sharp your other senses are. The smell of blood, and the smoke that also smells of blood. The breath of the unconscious woman in front of you. Distantly, a rapid series of explosions that ring a nearby metal surface, and the accompanying squelch of a human body hitting the ground a short distance away. Whirring servos keeping the smaller warmachine balanced. Booted feet running, under more weight than a single human body; carrying something.
Oh, and a flashbang going off, right where you were hearing those steps. But you think you'd probably be able to hear that anyway.

Command give you the number of a Hardsuit guy who's apparently on the way over. Assume that link works now.
[Blindness Recovery: 1 1] (I cheated and gave you a second roll because I felt sorry for you, and because you hadn't crit failed the FIRST time. But welp.)
Your vision does not return. You feel someone pick you up. They seem to be running with you over their shoulder?

Can I feel who is transporting me? Can I make contact with this person/suit, or perhaps at least feel if it's a mech or a person carrying me? If I can't make contact or it feels like a person and not a mech carrying me, point blank flashbang time! Like literally explode it next to/in front of their face or something, if possible.

"Ferrus? Is... is that you? Please don't tell me it's one of the Titan fucks."

(over radio to the hardsuit guy command connected me to): "My name is Lana Silvers, first Expeditionary Marine corps, mech support. Are you our backup?  If yes, the locals have weird magic powers, be advised. One or two of our pilots may be compromised, they mowed down my entire squad."

Definitely an unsuited human. Rough leather clothing, body warmth, and the slightly faster breathing of someone who is running. Whoever it is doesn't respond to you, so you grab a flashbang from your belt and-
[???]
You thankfully don't get to have your eyes burned out a second time today, but still, all you can hear is ringing. You are now laying on the ground.

Continue Operation: GTFO

Tanya does something and it has some results.

"Prepare to die."

PUSH. Climb up the enemy mech, get on top of the cockpit(I can tell what the cockpit is by tapping it with my foot and listening to the noise from that), and start cutting my way into the cockpit.
Roll over on Thomas.

Unfortunately, your plans for a battle are interrupted by one of you being blown in half and flung halfway across the forest. How rude.
Instead, X4 manages to bring his mech back up to a standing position. Only superficial damage to the mech itself, but the miniguns will require some fixing.

Push all the butans and yell at high command to unlock the thing.

Every button you press increases the volume on the video, which would also appear to now be uncapped. You scream at whoever will listen on the other end of the radio but nobody seems to care.

Hey, everyone hears a flashbang go off, by the way. Everyone.

Quote from: Radio_Controlled
"My name is Lana Silvers, first Expeditionary Marine corps, mech support. Are you our backup?  If yes, the locals have weird magic powers, be advised. One or two of our pilots may be compromised, they mowed down my entire squad."

"Hahaa, of fucking course!  Zrand couldn't lead that stick out his ass, let alone real pilots in a firefight!  Bastard got what he deserved, finally.  You got the numbers for those pilots?  Bah, of course you don't, you're just some mook.  Thanks for the info, now shut up and get off my comms!  Your shrieky voice clashes with my tunes."

Narcissus will shut Lana off, if she doesn't hang up first, then see about calling up the pilots himself.  Keep blasting the music on full volume, just shout over it while talking.

You shut Lana off. You don't know why she would even bother to call you, when she doesn't even have a problem. Stupid ungrateful marines.
The navigation computer beeps and notifies you that you've reaches your destination, so you regain manual control and perform a graceful dive down through the trees, landing near the other mechs.
One tech gear with two broken drones laying around it, one titan with disabled main weapons, another titan in low-power mode with a "do not disturb" signal, a perfectly undamaged hardsuit with its pilot's corpse laying outside it, and just one enemy who just got splattered by the looks of it. Oh, and lots of fires. All this looks like some hefty evidence that these people all managed to get totally messed up by a single unarmed human with "weird magic powers"; probably just some primative magic tricks.
Sometimes other people's incompetence staggers you.

Quote from: spazyak

You sigh and take another sip of wine. You could be out going on an exiting mech mission right now, on this foreign new world, but instead you're sitting in your quarters and drinking because command says your track record "indicates that you're not suited for first-contact missions".
Bullshit! Those natives were reaching for pipe bombs and about to explode you all! You had to gun them down. As for why no explosives were found on the corpses... well, you always suspected that Narcissus was s thief. Probably stole them to sell for "Narcissus is great" trophies or whatever it is he puts up in his room.
Ugh, you're bored. Maybe something interesting is going on somewhere else.

Quote from: Atomic Chicken

You're at the entranceway to the Roth Mages Academy in Xeniga, about to head out. Apparently the fleshshifters ran out of toads ahead of schedule, so now you have to run out to the animal store and buy some so they can do tomorrow's class. Why exactly this is your problem beats you, and you're tempted to ignore them and do something else, but you're not quite sure what that would be just yet. At least grabbing toads is more interesting than sitting around doing nothing.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
Re: Power and Pulse: Ludicrous Gibs
« Reply #253 on: November 07, 2017, 01:56:14 am »

Ferrus smiles within his mech. Well that worked. X4 next time be sure not to let the guy holding a sword run over and take you out after you end shooting your infantry cover. You're in a titan, not a goddamn farm walker.

Ferrus, will launch another missile at the weapon master. Practically a mercy like that, Ferrus has seen far too many wounds like this, you don't get back up from it. After launching the missle Ferrrus will look up Lanas location and start moving towards it. Eyes peeled for any magic that might be happening.

Noticing the new arrival Ferrus hails them.

Ah, reinforcements excellent. It's a fucking mess down here, My scanners are showing all but one of our infantry is dead. We lost our hardsuit to fucking magic. And to cap it all off Our Titans are likely compromised, shot up our infantry support and one of them broke my fucking drones. There is an edge in his voice here.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:38:38 am by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Power and Pulse: Ludicrous Gibs
« Reply #254 on: November 07, 2017, 02:13:00 am »

Lend Thomas some of my ghost-stength, giving him the willpower needed to continue fighting.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22