Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Sailing on the Sea of Stars [5/5] - Turn 6  (Read 42901 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Sailing on the Sea of Stars [5/5] - Turn 6
« Reply #240 on: October 28, 2017, 11:19:12 pm »

Thomas was elated; this was the first time in a long time he had gotten to win a case. Maybe things wouldn't be so bad in this new life; maybe he could even learn to enjoy it.

As they walked out of the courtroom, Thomas put his arm on Starbeard's shoulder. "You know, when I joined this crew, I figured we were just doomed to failure after failure, but, today, we just got our first win. And I choose to believe it wasn't a fluke. From now on, we're going to be winners, and you know why? Because we're just that damn good! I saw those surveillance videos; you're pretty good in a fight. If you just used your talents to keep us safe instead of getting into trouble, no one would be able to mess with us. And the same is true for the rest of the crew. If we can figure out a way to work together, I don't think there's a force in the universe that can stop us.

"Now, what say you I get us some drinks and we celebrate our new found camaraderie?"

Thomas will take Starbeard to a (safer) bar and buy the two of them some drinks.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 29, 2017, 08:55:39 am »

wise word from wise man
Starbeard now muscle to lawyer brain

Follow Thomas to a bar, but don't drink too much. Also protect him from any danger.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 30, 2017, 02:37:00 am »

Sneed, full of emotions after what it just saw, rushed to catch up with Thomas and Starbeard as they walked out.

"Well done, Thomas! Though I've only seen a total of three trials in my entire life, I can confidently say that your skills as a lawyer are unrivaled. That display of lawyering was remarkable! You won over the hearts and/or cybernetic replacement hearts of the entire courtroom. You too, Starbeard, you crazy old goon! I had no idea about the struggles you've faced. Hidden beneath that rough, gritty exterior is an abused man who just wants a chance at life, and maybe...a hug." Sneed felt like it finally knew the real Starbeard.

Offer Starbeard a hug. Then accompany Thomas and Starbeard to the bar. If they insist I don't come along, then instead go see the captain and tell him everything I learned on my adventure.
Insert witty signature here

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 30, 2017, 02:15:58 pm »

Thomas will allow Sneed to come along and will buy it a drink.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 30, 2017, 02:25:15 pm »

Don't be hugged by the slime
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 30, 2017, 02:37:36 pm »

"Rhave fun then, rhand don't manslaughter rhanyone this time, rhall right?"

Head back to the ship and ping Katerina to make sure she hasn't run into some kind of obvious danger herself.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 30, 2017, 02:44:55 pm »

yes captain

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 31, 2017, 02:16:55 am »

Interlude 6.XX: Still in The Megnat Spaceport (Planet Gavarle)

Katerina bought the drill, then looked around the store for some more... exotic items. Exciting things.

Exotic items... unfortunately that was a pretty general store. Most stores had roughly the same goods, with slight variants from places to places. Some gadgets caught her fancy though. Magnetic boots/gloves with com device link (500 each), portable rebreather in case of oxygen failure (200)...

She received a ping from Jim, inquiring about her whereabouts, but her com device was still in silent mode.

Thomas was elated; this was the first time in a long time he had gotten to win a case. Maybe things wouldn't be so bad in this new life; maybe he could even learn to enjoy it.

As they walked out of the courtroom, Thomas put his arm on Starbeard's shoulder. "You know, when I joined this crew, I figured we were just doomed to failure after failure, but, today, we just got our first win. And I choose to believe it wasn't a fluke. From now on, we're going to be winners, and you know why? Because we're just that damn good! I saw those surveillance videos; you're pretty good in a fight. If you just used your talents to keep us safe instead of getting into trouble, no one would be able to mess with us. And the same is true for the rest of the crew. If we can figure out a way to work together, I don't think there's a force in the universe that can stop us.

"Now, what say you I get us some drinks and we celebrate our new found camaraderie?"

Thomas will take Starbeard to a (safer) bar and buy the two of them some drinks.
wise word from wise man
Starbeard now muscle to lawyer brain

Follow Thomas to a bar, but don't drink too much. Also protect him from any danger.
Sneed, full of emotions after what it just saw, rushed to catch up with Thomas and Starbeard as they walked out.

"Well done, Thomas! Though I've only seen a total of three trials in my entire life, I can confidently say that your skills as a lawyer are unrivaled. That display of lawyering was remarkable! You won over the hearts and/or cybernetic replacement hearts of the entire courtroom. You too, Starbeard, you crazy old goon! I had no idea about the struggles you've faced. Hidden beneath that rough, gritty exterior is an abused man who just wants a chance at life, and maybe...a hug." Sneed felt like it finally knew the real Starbeard.

Offer Starbeard a hug. Then accompany Thomas and Starbeard to the bar. If they insist I don't come along, then instead go see the captain and tell him everything I learned on my adventure.

That was their first victory as a crew! That had to be celebrated! No hug though, as Starbeard made clear. Sneed felt like cursing his naivety: of course a hug wasn't a space pirate-like display of affection! He would have to think of something else...

They went to a bar chosen by Thomas. Fine and respectable establishment, one where they wouldn't encounter any nasty individuals. Each with a full glass in hand, they rejoiced and thanked the stars for this luck.

"Rhave fun then, rhand don't manslaughter rhanyone this time, rhall right?"

Head back to the ship and ping Katerina to make sure she hasn't run into some kind of obvious danger herself.

[Hollistic Insight +2] [8] -Overshoot-

Jim was close to the bay where the HMS YOU'RE NEXT rested. He decided to take a shortcut through an empty storage bay, full of containers of various origins. It only took a few seconds for Jim to realize something was wrong with the atmosphere. Feeling restless, he quickened his pace, hoping to quickly leave the place.

Suddenly at a turn, he came across the wrong place at the wrong time. There was an Acrean -a people of humanoids with slimy skin and a very roughly squid like head for the lack of better description-. That Acrean was floating in midair, being choked by an arm with no body attached to it.

Oh crap. Jim quickly processed what was going on. Optic camouflage. Probably very advanced one. Bad, very bad. He shouldn't have witnessed that.

He could feel the invisible being turning toward him.

STATUS

Spoiler: Crew Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:13:16 am by Nakéen »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 31, 2017, 03:19:12 am »

There was a very fine line to walk when witnessing assassination of this caliber, and for law enforcement and the regular citizenry alike it led straight the hell out of here. Of course, Jim Barkley was neither of these - he was a detective, dammit, and this was what detectives did as far as he was aware.

"Rhlook on the bright side - rhI definitely didn't see nothing!"

Put the assassin thing off-balance with witty repartee before engaging it in single doggy combat if for some reason it doesn't see fit to respond with polite understanding and/or a valid reason to be choking this person to death. Hopefully the Acrean will be able to help somehow at least.

Also ping the rest of the crew with a high-priority distress call with coordinates attached, which I assume is a thing that space adventurers ought to have (or at least something I as a security expert ought to have).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 03:25:12 am by Harry Baldman »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 31, 2017, 05:10:52 am »

Katerina returns to the ship, more heavily armed than before, and a little drunk.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 31, 2017, 06:21:21 am »

fortune is with this crew
crew has luck unlike Starbeard

we return to ship now? captain worry Starbeard start fight again

Return to ship, unless they don't want to yet.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:56:34 am by randomgenericusername »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 31, 2017, 08:42:19 am »

"You know, I was thinking, after this next mission, maybe we should go into private investigating or bounty hunting," Thomas says to Starbeard with a glass of whiskey in his hand and a somewhat glassy-eyed look. "Captain seems pretty good at sussing out clues, I can handle all the legal permits and make sure we don't get arrested and stuff, and you can bring in the perpetrators. I mean, you might have to bring them in alive, which I know isn't exactly your modus operandi, but I think you could handle it, or I guess there might be some contracts where they don't care about their animate state; they just want the body for proof."

Thomas notices the distress call from the captain.

"Oh, hey, Captain's calling us! And with coordinates. I bet he's lonely because we went drinking without him. Wait, can dogs even drink. You know what, that doesn't matter; we should go see the captain."

Thomas will pay for their drinks and try to lead the others to the captain.
Glory to Arstotzka!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 31, 2017, 08:56:04 am »

Starbeard already do mercenary and bouty hunter work in past before crew
Starbeard like friend idea of work

*distress call*
captain? if captain in danger Starbeard must protect with life
Go help Thomas find the captain to save him.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 31, 2017, 04:04:01 pm »

Sneed mentally reprimanded itself. It got so caught up in its emotions, that it failed to demonstrate affection in the proper way for space pirates. Sneed quickly corrected its mistake.

Aggressively slap Starbeard in the back with one of my tentacles. Assuming there is no horrible fallout from this action, follow Thomas afterward.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 12:18:27 am by GigaGiant »
Insert witty signature here

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 13, 2017, 06:26:29 pm »

I apologize for the 2-weeks long delay. Sickness combined with apathy combined with studies... Anyway, let's get this back in track.

Interlude 6.XX: Still in The Megnat Spaceport (Planet Gavarle)

There was a very fine line to walk when witnessing assassination of this caliber, and for law enforcement and the regular citizenry alike it led straight the hell out of here. Of course, Jim Barkley was neither of these - he was a detective, dammit, and this was what detectives did as far as he was aware.

"Rhlook on the bright side - rhI definitely didn't see nothing!"

Put the assassin thing off-balance with witty repartee before engaging it in single doggy combat if for some reason it doesn't see fit to respond with polite understanding and/or a valid reason to be choking this person to death. Hopefully the Acrean will be able to help somehow at least.

Also ping the rest of the crew with a high-priority distress call with coordinates attached, which I assume is a thing that space adventurers ought to have (or at least something I as a security expert ought to have).

[Fortitude +0 Ex-Cop +1] [1] -Critical Failure-

Jim hasn't even finished his sentence, that he sees the muzzle of an advanced weapon appearing out of thin air. Ungentlemanly! But effective, Jim barely has the time to roll away as a blast of energy fires toward him.

A searing pain sparks in his right side, and his whole body starts burning and feeling cold. Jim has been hit by a silent blaster shot! He doesn't have time to assess his wound, but his mind is still holding on, and he seems to be able to walk. Ah, not really, his rear right leg is unresponsive.

He has to act fast!

Katerina returns to the ship, more heavily armed than before, and a little drunk.

Katerina starts returning immediately to the ship, wobbling a bit from slight drunkenness.

[Luck -1] [6] -Critical Success-

Some kind soul decides to pick up Katerina in his hovercraft, bringing her to the ship in no time. He drops Katerina there, and promptly leave for his hangar nearby.

fortune is with this crew
crew has luck unlike Starbeard

we return to ship now? captain worry Starbeard start fight again

Return to ship, unless they don't want to yet.
"You know, I was thinking, after this next mission, maybe we should go into private investigating or bounty hunting," Thomas says to Starbeard with a glass of whiskey in his hand and a somewhat glassy-eyed look. "Captain seems pretty good at sussing out clues, I can handle all the legal permits and make sure we don't get arrested and stuff, and you can bring in the perpetrators. I mean, you might have to bring them in alive, which I know isn't exactly your modus operandi, but I think you could handle it, or I guess there might be some contracts where they don't care about their animate state; they just want the body for proof."

Thomas notices the distress call from the captain.

"Oh, hey, Captain's calling us! And with coordinates. I bet he's lonely because we went drinking without him. Wait, can dogs even drink. You know what, that doesn't matter; we should go see the captain."

Thomas will pay for their drinks and try to lead the others to the captain.
Starbeard already do mercenary and bouty hunter work in past before crew
Starbeard like friend idea of work

*distress call*
captain? if captain in danger Starbeard must protect with life
Go help Thomas find the captain to save him.
Sneed mentally reprimanded itself. It got so caught up in its emotions, that it failed to demonstrate affection in the proper way for space pirates. Sneed quickly corrected its mistake.

Aggressively slap Starbeard in the back with one of my tentacles. Assuming there is no horrible fallout from this action, follow Thomas afterward.

Having paid the drinks preemptively, the trio is able to leave the bar easily. Sneed slaps Starbeard on his back, in an tentatively aggressive way. Starbeard doesn't react violently, surprisingly. Maybe he didn't feel it, actually.

[Average Luck +0] [2]

The last members of the crew return to the ship. Being a little tipsy, they take a little more time than needed.

They will never get there in time, but they don't know that.

STATUS

Spoiler: Crew Status (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21