Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New buildings.  (Read 3250 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New buildings.
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 01:16:50 am »

In the current version I do not build temples, because a bug makes them pray on and on without getting their needs for praying fulfilled. In one of my previous forts this even prevented my dwarves from getting pregnant - whenever they had time to relax, they would get stuck in a praying / socializing loop and they never had time to have sex with their spouse for a moment. :P As soon as I demolished the temples, I finally got some pregnancies.

Didn't try libraries yet, I do like taverns.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 01:21:46 am »

I solve that "stuck in temple" issue by overlapping temple-tavern-temple so that only like 25% of the floorspace is on the lowest level of temple.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 01:31:40 am »

I didn't mean my dwarves got stuck inside of the temple, I meant they got stuck in a prayer loop regardless of their location.

Married couples would keep "praying to Cthulu" and "meditate on family" rather than pay attention to their spouse, even when they were sitting idle together in their shared bedroom.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 02:25:31 am »

As Shonai_Dweller said, I meant the roughly half year long succession of releases following the initial "big" one before the year+ long break to work on the initial release of the next arc. They are not always small additions and bug fixes: the jobs rewrite in the last arc was a rather big change, as was the world activation.

@Quarque: Were you burrowing the spouses when they kept "praying"? If so, that's likely part of the problem that need activities don't work well with either burrows or military activities, rather than a general issue with religions activities. I've seen the issue you mention when I've burrowed spouses together (and locked the door), but I've also seen them socialize, go to the burrow to eat/drink/sleep, and then violate the burrow to return to the tavern to continue. I speculate that if the burrow was sufficiently large that they can walk to 10 or so steps dorfs walk after an activity before starting a new one doesn't take them out of the burrow they might be taken out of it, but I haven't tried that (note to self: try a double burrow [small one with the room only inside a larger "escape catcher" burrow] with the next fortress once the new release and sufficient tools are available).

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 04:48:07 am »

I put in a non-deity-specific temple, and move it eventually to a nice big room with plenty of dancing space, statues, instruments, and carved floors and walls. I make libraries, although always citizen-only ones these days. I like buying piles of books from the traders. Books on what dwarves are from the humans are particularly amusing.

I don't bother with taverns any more. They don't fulfil anything a dwarf can't get from a good booze stockpile, a food stockpile, a mug or two, and some tables and chairs. And there's too much chance the tavern will cause a disaster.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 05:14:55 am »

I disagree with Thisfox' assessment of taverns. They do fulfill socializing needs, watching and participating in singing/dancing/playing/reciting give positive thoughts (although they can be bored by it), as well as a larger forum to fulfill needs to argue and fight (they can do that outside of a tavern as well, though). I think dorfs can learn new songs/music/dances/poems as well, for a positive thought. As long as you keep the tavern free of poisoners the risk of disaster seems to be rather low (I've never had any, at any rate). Given the current resilience of dorfs, going without a tavern probably doesn't cause any visible harm to an otherwise decently run fortress, though.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 03:08:29 pm »

It always seems to that the liaison needs a tavern as well or it will leave unhappily after mucking around in my fort for a couple of seasons.

I get my "paper" from trading. Just order all the vellum (and other animal's leather) you can once and you should be set forever. Though I tend to only order the more expensive ones and still get more than enough.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 04:09:40 pm »

I disagree with Thisfox' assessment of taverns. They do fulfill socializing needs, watching and participating in singing/dancing/playing/reciting give positive thoughts (although they can be bored by it), as well as a larger forum to fulfill needs to argue and fight (they can do that outside of a tavern as well, though). I think dorfs can learn new songs/music/dances/poems as well, for a positive thought. As long as you keep the tavern free of poisoners the risk of disaster seems to be rather low (I've never had any, at any rate). Given the current resilience of dorfs, going without a tavern probably doesn't cause any visible harm to an otherwise decently run fortress, though.
Some of us somehow manage to avoid "disaster" even with tavern keepers. I think alcohol poisoning deaths must be much rarer now than back when you gave up on them. Certainly my tavern's not swimming with bodies. I'm not saying no-one will ever die, but the worst it ever seems to get is the occasional dorf being hauled off to hospital for a moment of recovery. I'm sure people do die on occasion, it just doesn't happen often enough to ever have to worry about it. Seems like fps death will get you first.

Of course, visitors don't get to use the hospital, so I doubt anyone will save them when the time comes, but who cares about the occasional alcoholic goblin keeling over?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 10:52:19 pm »

I wouldn't call that a kindness, but it's rather unfortunate fate to need alcohol to get through the working day and having NO_DRINK.

I've at least once and further considered going without taverns to have idler count more representative of population. There's few needs one can't fulfil in plain old meeting area that taverns fill, though - I think making merry was one, don't recall the other two, I think, off the top of my head. It's also easier to fulfil needs to do something creative, admire art, learn things, practice a skill than by crafting, building and ordering. If your dwarves know religious performances, those can substitute, but only for the dwarves who are not religious.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 11:04:28 pm »

My experience with taverns is in accord with Shonai_Dweller's; a single bartender doesn't seem to manage to hand out enough drinks to kill anybody directly. However, imbibing alcohol does seem to make non-Dwarven visitors into potentially serious security risks; I've had Dwarves crippled or killed by wannabe-reformed goblins and filthy humans who couldn't hold their liquor and decided to start fights. I mean, the fight starters who seriously hurt dorfs lost in the end when they were dismembered by the militia, but they still managed to hurt the dorfs in the first place.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 02:05:29 am »

My experience with taverns is in accord with Shonai_Dweller's; a single bartender doesn't seem to manage to hand out enough drinks to kill anybody directly. However, imbibing alcohol does seem to make non-Dwarven visitors into potentially serious security risks; I've had Dwarves crippled or killed by wannabe-reformed goblins and filthy humans who couldn't hold their liquor and decided to start fights. I mean, the fight starters who seriously hurt dorfs lost in the end when they were dismembered by the militia, but they still managed to hurt the dorfs in the first place.
They'll do that without alcohol in the library too. Goblins like to argue. Some people don't like to argue with annoying goblins.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 02:37:08 am »

I guess I'm particularly sensitive to needless dwarf deaths as I play dead civs, so I can't replace one of my 20 precious dorfs with someone from the next migration wave (and I've never seen any dorfs hauled off to the hospital [which I do have] when poisoned by alcohol: they either recover and stumble off, gets downed again by getting another drink shoved down their throats, or suffocate). Of course, a small fortress also means there are no idlers just waiting for someone to be hauled to the hospital as there's always more work than hands (and that also means that a poisoner won't have too many targets to chose from, unless you've got lots of visitors).
Finally, I'm not keen on actually experience a loyalty cascade: I'm perfectly fine with just having a theoretical knowledge of them...

A difference between a drunken argument->fight and a sober one is that the former seems to be far more likely to lead to serious injury or death than the latter.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 04:07:49 am »

Does it?
I've had serious injuries from fights outside the tavern. Doesn't help that the personality-alerting effects of alcohol don't ever seem to wear off (that seems to be a bug, my magic cheese syndrome personality effects seem to last forever, too, and no-one's addicted to that).

At 20 dwarves and no visitors I wouldn't spare any of them to be a full-time tavern keeper either regardless of the effects of alcohol poisoning.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 05:52:28 pm »

Sounds like a very basic temple is pretty easy: just an open area to meet in and a little coffer.  I might call it more of a "shrine" than anything else, something small and easy to establish when the fort is first starting out, just to avoid dwarves getting agitated.  I might make a more elaborate "interfaith community center" later, with a big, tall, column-filled hall in the center that is a deity non-specific space, with smaller individual rooms off that which form deity-specific shrines, hopefully with some deity-relevant decorations in each one. 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 04:08:47 am »

I don't even bother with a coffer in my temple. As far as I understand, usage of its contents is rare anyway, and I'm not sure it's ever used in omni temples. I've had some unfortunate experiences with dedicated temples, so I skip those.
Pages: 1 [2] 3