Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A siege without weapons?  (Read 1671 times)

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A siege without weapons?
« on: September 28, 2017, 10:07:58 pm »

A siege of several dozen goblins supported by trolls arrived and my military wipes them out, with expectations of goblinite, only to find that there is very little.  I noticed that most of the gobbos were "recruits," which I didn't think of much, until I slaughtered the lot of them and realized that none of the "recruits" had weapons.  (only 4 or 5 weapons and shields and no armor at all).  What the heck?  Practically an entire siege with unarmed enemies? 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A siege without weapons?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:13:34 pm »

Quirk of worldgen. The real soldiers probably all died in another war somewhere. Check Legends.
Remember in the current version, only the nearest goblin site will send sieges. If that's a single pit with a troll farm and some farmers, that's what's gonna attack you.

Hopefully the next version mixes things up a bit with armies being sent based on rumours of your artifacts rather than just distance.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:17:27 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:46:26 pm »

Not the first siege, though.  I've beaten back a couple of armed (albeit small) sieges already, and it's an old world where I already played and retired a few fortresses, all of which were attacked by properly armed sieges.  The new fort was sited next to a thriving dark pit in the hope of attracting more serious sieges, so having the first big siege full of unarmed gobbos is disappointing.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 10:52:54 pm »

Not the first siege, though.  I've beaten back a couple of armed (albeit small) sieges already, and it's an old world where I already played and retired a few fortresses, all of which were attacked by properly armed sieges.  The new fort was sited next to a thriving dark pit in the hope of attracting more serious sieges, so having the first big siege full of unarmed gobbos is disappointing.

Maybe you killed off all the armed gobbos already, so they were forced to send unarmed unskilled goblins in turn.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 12:52:11 am »

What version are you using, by the way? Full armour availability for siege members (along with the much-needed ability for dorfs to remove prone enemies' helmets) was introduced right towards the end of the last release cycle..

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 12:52:19 am »

Maybe you killed off all the armed gobbos already, so they were forced to send unarmed unskilled goblins in turn.

That's what I was wondering about:  I hadn't played the same world this long before.  Do hostile civs actually run out of resources to arm their armies with?  Is the supply of metals and such available for goblin civs finite?

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 12:53:51 am »

What version are you using, by the way? Full armour availability for siege members (along with the much-needed ability for dorfs to remove prone enemy's helmets) was introduced right towards the end of the last release cycle..

Still on 40.24.  While I liked the newer features, I'm badly distracted by the way they work sometimes.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 12:54:43 am »

What version are you using, by the way? Full armour availability for siege members (along with the much-needed ability for dorfs to remove prone enemy's helmets) was introduced right towards the end of the last release cycle..

Still on 40.24.  While I liked the newer features, I'm badly distracted by the way they work sometimes.
Well there you go. It's a bug. Has been fixed.

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 12:57:28 am »

Well there you go. It's a bug. Has been fixed.
Ah.  Figures. 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 01:09:28 am »

Also look out for the instant crash when a tree branch clashes with any construction and really, you're lucky to be getting sieges at all; in 40.24 invaders had a habit of getting lost on the way to siege you.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 03:14:20 am »

I found the complaint about lack of invasions with 0.40.24 failed to match my experience. It was only occasionally I failed to get them (although I did make sure to scout out siege friendly sites to maximize the probability of getting them: embarking based on other criteria, such as nice scenery or resources would probably experience a lot more siege AWOL cases.). In fact, I've had a lot more problems with hello/goodbye sieges in the latest arc than with missing sieges in the 0.40.X one.

While the latest arc has fixed the partial armor bug, I don't think it has done anything with recruits: they tend to be unarmed and unarmored (and I think almost all the trolls and ogres are "recruits" from this perspective). If you've used up all the experienced troops recruits are all that's going to be left (I had one fortress wait for 70 years for a follow up siege after the site the sieges came from ran out of warm bodies. The disappointing result was two sieges of raw recruits before the site was depopulated again).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 04:19:09 am »

I admit I was also blessed with plentiful sieges throughout 40.24 but it seems to have effected some people so thought it was worth mentioning. Tree bug is annoying though.

So recruits don't get access to the site weapon and armour pool then even in the latest version? That's interesting.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 07:16:54 am »

I've never actually suffered from that tree bug, but I've also kept trees at bay. I agree the siege drought many suffered from is worth mentioning.
I'm fairly sure recruits have not changed in the latest arc, and I'm completely sure "recruit" trolls haven't (although I'm not sure if I've encountered any experienced trolls in this arc).

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 03:09:56 pm »

I admit I was also blessed with plentiful sieges throughout 40.24 but it seems to have effected some people so thought it was worth mentioning. Tree bug is annoying though.

So recruits don't get access to the site weapon and armour pool then even in the latest version? That's interesting.

I'm with Patrick wrt sieges.  Never had problems with sieges of any kind in 40.24, until the latest one.  BTW, has the bolt restocking problem been completely resolved in the post 40.24 updates?  I was able to track down the bolt problem in 40.24 to dorfs leaving bolts in quivers when they have have hunting disabled or get rotated out of marksdwarf squads, and the same bolts being (still) assigned to squads and the remaining troopers not being able to find them (a little bit like lye buckets in barrels problem).  I know the lye buckets problems have been solved, but I am curious if dorfs now put unused bolts in stockpiles when they rotate out of squads (if they don't, I'm skeptical that the problem has been fully resolved). 

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 03:59:50 pm »

Goblins desperate enough to send their recruits into a battle with their bare fists, that is epic though.
Pages: [1] 2