Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: To become part of the realm or not?  (Read 2710 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: To become part of the realm or not?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 01:54:41 pm »

100 days in the cells / brutal beatdown by fortress guard is always annoying when it happens to someone who you needed doing their jobs.

That's why no dwarf with item preferences should make it to a noble position. No item preferences, no mandates.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 07:30:01 pm »

No reason why not get both. You'll get 4 bars per ore (3 different for iron & copper, 4 for silver), but only one bar of steel per flux stone (5 different options), so that's the limiting option.
Oops.  That's a good point.  *Facepalm*

It comes down to "How much you want to order stuff from the caravan" balanced against "how annoying the mandates are going to be".  Thankfully, you can select who becomes your first baron, so if you know that someone is going to not make annoying mandates, you can give them the title and keep making trade agreements.

Can you select their successor when the first baron bites it?

Edit:  Bah, a ninja.
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 09:44:50 pm »

I don't think so - at least as far as other inheriting barons go - but you could keep them permanently too incapacitated to mandate.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 10:46:55 pm »

I don't think so - at least as far as other inheriting barons go - but you could keep them permanently too incapacitated to mandate.

Levers and menacing spikes are useful here, and add value to you noble's room as well. Just connect the two, assign your noble to pull the lever via workshop profile, and set to repeat. You can adjust the lethality through careful selection of spike material and by assigning the noble ro his own personal squad with a uniform that must always be worn. There will be a non-zero mortality rate, so don't do this for nobles with more reasonable mandates. Noble won't be completely prevented from issuing mandates, but you can reduce the frequency and give your doctors training, which is about as useful as a noble can be.

Note that nobles may often survive, so use magma if you absolutely need to end a mandate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 11:10:55 pm »

Heh, while making them bleed would work, I meant more like keeping them permanently nauseous/dizzy, caged or sleeping. After all, if you kill every mayor who makes mandates you're probably going to go through something like dozen dwarves.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 12:40:06 am »

100 days in the cells / brutal beatdown by fortress guard is always annoying when it happens to someone who you needed doing their jobs.

That's why no dwarf with item preferences should make it to a noble position. No item preferences, no mandates.

or......

Appoint noble who has a preference for expensive items that you can produce easily. Follow his mandates. The either sell between mandates or apply magma to the problem once you have a decent stockpile. Repeat the last step until you have another Nobleman with decent demands.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 01:07:50 am »

Meh, they'll live, and they probably deserve a beatdown from time to time  ;)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 01:23:28 am »

Meh, they'll live, and they probably deserve a beatdown from time to time  ;)
If your fortress guard is strong enough, they actually might die.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 02:24:50 am »

Mayors are easily handled, as you can just replace the elected one with one that won't spew out mandates. That has to be done yearly, though.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 03:06:18 am »

I don't have justice and just ignore mandates. Negative thoughts countered by statues of the noble's preferences.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 04:29:05 am »

I don't have justice and just ignore mandates. Negative thoughts countered by statues of the noble's preferences.

That's what I'm doing if I can't avoid mandates completely. That way would-be production violators also get happy thoughts about "having their punishment delayed."

However, when taken too far, entire population starts to get mild negative thoughts about "being unprotected", what with all these horrible criminals walking around unpunished. You really can't please everyone all the time.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 [2]