Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Warcraft discussion  (Read 4047 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Warcraft discussion
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:07:20 am »

This is a thread for talking about World of Warcraft, and the three original warcraft games.
I noticed that the forum doesn't have anything talking about this yet, and so, here it is.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Warcraft discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 06:28:44 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145634.0
Yes, the topic is a bit dead. I would only speculate the reason why is because the theme park mmo is the opposite of the sandbox nature of dwarf fortress.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 06:39:38 am »

A quick search revealed about four Warcraft 3 topics as well.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63329.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=48689.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34444.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74192.0

I do miss the heyday of Warcraft 3 in DotA, Europa Universalis, Parasite, among others, as I spent entirely too much time of my formative years playing it (wasn't great at the melee/ranked though). Starcraft 2 feels lacking in a lot of ways for custom maps in comparison, and the custom map community is nowhere near as thriving as it once was.

Probably due to Blizzard a) over eSporting the shit out of it, and b) realizing they could potentially have another cash cow like DotA on their hands if they didn't throw in a lot of scary legalese that boiled down to "if this is popular enough, we can take control of it and profit off of it, with no credit due to the original maker,"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:43:50 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:45:33 am »

:-[
Oops.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 12:25:17 pm »

Those threads are all rather ancient though.

And now I'm going to go off topic and complain about starcraft 2.

Why did they think it was necessary to add forced macro mechanics? Why is the UI intentionally getting in the way of me executing a strategy?  Macro mechanic management is a single player high speed clicker that has nothing to do with strategy and could be automated easily.  In fact... it was automated! Then enough "pro level" players complained it would lower the skill ceiling (hah) that they made it something you have to manually do every 20 seconds.

I mean, in a sense, yes, that adds more "skill" to the highest level of the game.  However, so would requiring me to solve a sliding tiles puzzles every 30 seconds to continue commanding my units.  And that's my complaint, they've made the most important skill in the game one that has nothing to do with the other player.   Performing this mechanical sequence of operations every X seconds is more important than having a good strategy.  Mechanical skill is always going to be a part of any activity, but when we think of "strategy games" we usually think of the mind, not reflexes. 

On top of that, these mechanics aren't part of the single player campaigns (not to mention everything else that's so different), so you don't even get prepared for it by playing through the campaign.  You get good at these mechanics by playing by yourself.  Playing by yourself isn't fun.  This game is demanding players put in unfun work to participate in the theoretically fun strategy game.

I argue that this doesn't raise the skill ceiling, it just changes the required skills.  If you didn't have to perform these macro mechanics, then the ceiling would be determined by a players abillity to strategize, react to the other player, and adapt to the situation.  You know, what do you call it... strategy?

Yes, that means it would take less "work" to reach the skill ceiling. Instead, it would take more gameplay.  Work is boring, I do work so I can earn money to live and entertain myself.  I engage in gameplay to have fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • working hard or barely functioning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:54:30 pm »

Esports is work.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:38:19 pm »

Starcraft I always irritated me in that I can only select a dozen units at once.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 12:11:37 am »

Also slightly off-topic I guess, but am I the only one who liked the Warcraft movie? In the US that is.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 12:35:01 am »

The entire problem with Starcraft 2: It's not a reskin of Starcraft 1.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 12:55:06 am »

Also slightly off-topic I guess, but am I the only one who liked the Warcraft movie? In the US that is.
I'm not from the US, but I loved that damn movie. It's nothing like other video game films.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 01:35:31 am »

I loved the movie as well. It had enough in jokes to keep me amused as a long-time (former) WoW player, and it didn't butcher the pre-existing lore too badly. Overall, I thought it was a fun film to watch.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 04:59:19 am »

It was mediocre. Which means it's better than pretty much every other video game movie.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 05:14:33 am »

The entire problem with Starcraft 2: It's not a reskin of Starcraft 1.

That's shouldn't be an issue anymore since there is a SC1 remastered now ;)
I've never played SC1 much though. Only on LAN parties if at all.

I loved Warcraft 3 for its editor and the thousands of funmaps, many of which are real masterpieces.
Never really enjoyed the melee matches though.

Starcraft 2 has an even more powerful editor and has many great maps as well, though, as already mentioned here, the community isn't as active as it was in WC3 unfortunately. You still find enough players to play most funmaps (or Arcade games as they are called now) and new ones keep coming (even for WC3, which surprises me but makes me super happy :))

Starcraft I always irritated me in that I can only select a dozen units at once.
That was the case with Warcraft 3 as well. Starcraft 2 doesn't have that limitation, though.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 07:51:51 am »

That was the case with Warcraft 3 as well. Starcraft 2 doesn't have that limitation, though.
I do believe y'all will enjoy this one animator who makes nice humor from Starcraft and otherwise :3
The link is an episode depicting that limitation entirely, but the whole series made depicts a lot more. :P

Also, I remember from my childhood (on my older brother's PC) that the only warcraft I first met was Warcraft II (y'know the old style Alliance vs Orcs, and I was sort of too young to strategize well [I was enamoured with those oil tankers -_- and oooo resources!])
Then Warcraft III, then Frozen Throne. :P

Then I had fun doing EVERYTHING on the editors \o/ just like starcraft editor (Both the SCI base game, and Brood War funtime), made a campaign with multiple maps and a story line of escaping a terran science facility because ZERG EVERYWHERE D: (having fun editing all the variables and to-the-second triggers for actions and speech, where my love of subtitles started) . . .
And then I lost all that info when I changed to my laptop that I use all the time now. :'(

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 04:17:44 am »

I found warcraft 3 because my friend played WoW and Wc3, and I loved just watching him play both. Eventually, his computer broke, I got my own computer, got WoW, Wc3, Wc2, lived my life, and the today came.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: [1] 2