Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Random things people don't usually think about  (Read 5523 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Random things people don't usually think about
« on: September 26, 2017, 12:40:28 am »

Returning members of some branches of the U.S. Military have been conditioned to use the term "Oo-rah" or "Hoo-ah", so much so that those who look for jobs in the States after getting out say it at their place of employment. As you might guess, this doesn't always go over well, as it isn't a 'normal' response to use in the workplace.

The heart has actual neurons in it. Not brain cells, but neurons to send signals to and from the brain to regulate its activity. Similar to the neurons in our actual brain, but just not organized enough to actually form what we'd call a "mind".

You can grind crickets -- yes, the bug -- into high-protein flour, and produce baked goods out of it. Yes, that includes cricket bread, cricket chips, cricket pie crust, and even cricket dog food. "Farming" crickets for protein is about 3 times more efficient than beef, and produces way less greenhouse gas emissions.

A single cumulus cloud in the sky, with all its water vapor combined, can weigh more than 1 million pounds.

Lightning bolts can form within the plume of a volcanic eruption. This is called a "dirty thunderstorm".

(Anyone else have any fun ones to share? ^^)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:42:59 am by Xvareon »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random things people don't usually think about
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:52:16 am »

Lightning bolts can form within the plume of a volcanic eruption. This is called a "dirty thunderstorm".

Occasionally pyrocumulus clouds can form tornados. And then they pick up burning stuff and you have a tornado on fire.

A slightly different phenomenon occurs with big fires, where the large heat differential forms a vortex and you also have a giant moving column of fire.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 06:29:10 am »

You can grind crickets -- yes, the bug -- into high-protein flour, and produce baked goods out of it. Yes, that includes cricket bread, cricket chips, cricket pie crust, and even cricket dog food. "Farming" crickets for protein is about 3 times more efficient than beef, and produces way less greenhouse gas emissions.
Works with ants too. They need to be cooked for about a minute or 2 before grinding them into a paste though.
I wouldn't be surprised if ant farms are even more efficient than cricket farms.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 07:03:29 am »

The real efficiency is in fly larvae.

"Oo-rah" or "Hoo-ah"

I don't even know what those even mean actually.
Love, scriver~

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 10:27:00 am »

Just a general guttural shout which is well suited for yelling explosively in sync with the rest of your fellow jarheads.

Weird thought stuff: modern drum kits didn't take the current form usually seen of a snare/hi-hat/kick/toms/ride/floor tom until the 30's and 40's, but there was a stretch where one of the key jobs for drummers involved sound effects during silent movies.

Many of those sound effects are stuck in our heads to this day, the "chk-a-chk-k-chk-kshh" train sound, the "clip-a-ta-clop" horse running, the way a quick tom hit "tonnnnn" can make you think of someone getting hit in the head, then a bass drum "BOOMPH" for them hitting the floor, all these and more came out of those silent movies, many picked up by things like looney tunes and comedy movies, and now a hundred years later we've still got the same sound effect > expected cause ties in our heads.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 10:58:49 am »

"Oo-rah" or "Hoo-ah"

'Yes', 'Righto', 'Will do', anything but 'No', effectively. As far as I know. It is rather odd, and I wonder why the United States Army has cultivated that particular phrase as it has.

On a similar note, I rather like the phrase 'Jawohl', and use it now and then when appropriate. I try not to, however, for it almost never is. What I, of course, mean when I say it is a chirpy 'Yep, I hear you, I'll get to it right away!', but what people hear (due to general lack of knowledge and uncultivated association skills) tends to be 'Alright, geez-Louise, I'll do it, you Nazi slave-driver, gerrof my case!'.

Now, my contribution: Imagine how lovely it is to live in an age and a place where one can (almost) always count on having access to a flush-toilet. With the exception of our own (and very briefly), we do not have to have any kind of contact to loose excrement at all, when all goes well. That is an extra-ordinary luxury, come to think of it. We do not have to see it, smell it or clean it away. It all goes into pipes, and clean, fresh water comes to replace it, in most cases hot or cold at our leisure.

For the vast majority of our history, we have had to live with it, close and personal. Raking it up in buckets to empty on the field, chucking it out of the window, dashing off to a cold and cramped shed outside the house, et cetera. Never before has it been easier to manage the logistics of digestion than today. Further, cholera, typhoid and dysentery are all things that one can live very merrily without, and the humble toilet is a very reliable insurance against them. Heaven knows how many lives they save every day.

Hats off for the modern toilet!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 06:12:37 pm »

Horses. Theyll destroy trees in an attempt to procure proper ass scratching posts. Like any limb below hip height will be broken off. But the telephone pole in the middle of the pasture isnt good enough. Too smooth or something. Nor any of the rose bushes.

And in the winter, they will deliberately roll in the snow to the point they get soaked. Or sometimes youll find them all sweaty, because their winter coat is just that effective, i guess. Only the thoroughbred ever has trouble keeping his weight up, hes a race horse of course, bred to have little fat and tons of muscle so thats not surprising. But none of them ever show issues with frost bite or anything. They just bunch up during strong snow storms and then go back to grazing. Dont really like their shelter, they prefer to hang out in the stream bed. Lower elevation is better wind break than walls i guess.

Meanwhile my hands go numb indoors, by the fire, with two pairs of socks and multiple layers on. Only the pig (she builds herself a hay nest in her shelter) and the one nearly hairless dog and 15 year old cat (sometimes, sometimes not) agree with me. Everything else is frolicking in the snow like its a beautiful world that totally isnt trying to kill you.

Why are tropical apes residing in the freezing higher latitudes? We are such a stupid species it seems.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 06:13:57 pm »

Horses. Theyll destroy trees in an attempt to procure proper ass scratching posts. Like any limb below hip height will be broken off. But the telephone pole in the middle of the pasture isnt good enough. Too smooth or something. Nor any of the rose bushes.

Unproperly cleaned asses itch.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 06:44:09 pm »

People don't think about the extreme depth of difference in perspective between a person who is fundamentally religious and a person who is fundamentally secular (and some people live as if they are on the "other side" without knowing it, very few religions are genuinely consequentialist, they are almost all deontological).

Even having been religious once, it weirds me out to think that there are people out there who truly approach every issue in life as if they've got a god watching and judging their actions. Oddly enough, I don't see as much of the reverse attitude (at least not ones that have been articulated beyond "atheists are evil/stupid/mutant theists"). Like, does a fundamentalist Christian realize, truly realize how different everything in the day-to-day has a different context to a secular person? I'm not convinced most do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 06:51:18 pm »

Beard hairs is a bit like tiny face tentacles C:€
Love, scriver~

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 06:55:49 pm »

"Oo-rah" or "Hoo-ah"

'Yes', 'Righto', 'Will do', anything but 'No', effectively. As far as I know. It is rather odd, and I wonder why the United States Army has cultivated that particular phrase as it has.

Establishment of esprit de corp in general and desire to copy the Marines in specific.

In specific units, it's frequently replaced by some other motto or significant phrase. In cases where it's being said sarcastically, it might be replaced by some other unit's motto.

Aieeah!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 06:56:49 pm »

Aieeah!

In a super screechy squeaky voice?
Love, scriver~

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 11:39:59 pm »

Beard hairs is a bit like tiny face tentacles C:€
Tiny? Only that one fucking hair under my nose that doesn't want to grow any longer than the perfect amount so it can come loose from my stache, curl up, and land right in my fucking nostril when I go to take a bite of food.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 01:01:18 am »

People don't think about the extreme depth of difference in perspective between a person who is fundamentally religious and a person who is fundamentally secular (and some people live as if they are on the "other side" without knowing it, very few religions are genuinely consequentialist, they are almost all deontological).

Even having been religious once, it weirds me out to think that there are people out there who truly approach every issue in life as if they've got a god watching and judging their actions. Oddly enough, I don't see as much of the reverse attitude (at least not ones that have been articulated beyond "atheists are evil/stupid/mutant theists"). Like, does a fundamentalist Christian realize, truly realize how different everything in the day-to-day has a different context to a secular person? I'm not convinced most do.
Thomas Aquinas does!
Quote from: St. Thomas Aquinas
To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.
As a bonus, it sounds exactly like a Warhammer 40K "Thought for the day."

Why are tropical apes residing in the freezing higher latitudes? We are such a stupid species it seems.
Speak for yourself you damn dirty tropical ape. It takes all my willpower not to permanently flee to colder climes. As it stands I spend the summer as a permanent refugee from the heat, and only in the winter am I truly at peace with nature. Sometimes in the winter, I will go to the park and just sit on a park bench, watching the few people outside go by; I never do this any other time of year. when I hear someone else say "it's a beautiful day" I shudder to think of what the weather is like, and when everyone else is miserable from storms I struggle to conceal my genuine glee at the weather.

Here's a strange thing then: why are there some people whose temperature preference is so dramatically different from their peers? There's no obvious reason why this should be. My family is from a summer clime, the Mediterranean in fact. And yet, knowing only what you do above you'd think I was born and raised in Greenland or something. Is it some sort of temperature disorder? A bodyheat thing? A cultural thing? Is it all in my head, and have I simply convinced myself that black is white out of sheer perverse contrariness? If anyone has any theories or info, I'd like to hear it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: [1] 2 3