Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I would like to look at [SPOILERS] for an RP, but cannot figure out how.  (Read 621 times)

Sparky Lurkdragon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

To make a long story short, a friend and I generated a world and are using it for a long series of RPs. At some point in the future, there's a good chance someone's going to go sniffing around for information on how to kill or seal the one surviving demonlord, and a trip into a vault sounds like just the ticket.

The trouble is that if I'm mildly competent in Fortress Mode, I have no idea how to approach Adventurer mode, and all I really want to do is find out what the vault-dwellers look like for the RP. Is there a way to get this information outside of adventuring? And if not, any cheaty way to go on an observational expedition?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I would like to look at [SPOILERS] for an RP, but cannot figure out how.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 02:18:20 am »

Legends Mode can provide a lot of information. I generally export the info and look at it with Legends Viewer. The Legends Mode info should also provide you with the coordinates of the vault, so it should be possible to embark on top of it (which I think requires the DFHack Embark Anywhere plugin to be set to allow embark on top of it). Once embarked you can use the DFHack command "reveal all" to show everything (except the basement), which should include the vault dwellers (they may be visible even without using reveal).
Obviously, a copy of save should be used for this, as I assume you don't actually want an embark there. Also, I think Legends Mode doesn't provide the mid level tile (i.e. the tile within the embark region) where the vault is located. It's possible to use DFHack to extract the location, but if DF prohibits embarkation on top of vaults you should be able to sweep over the region to see where the 'e'mbark key is greyed out.

Getting the position from Legends Mode should presumably also allow an adventurer to go there, although I don't know much about adventure mode.

Using DFHack, it might be possible to extract the creature description by locating it in the hist fig list, but I don't know how messy it is to get a description out of that. This should be possible to do pre embark, i.e. on the view where you select where to embark, but without actually embarking. Exiting without embarking (but after having used DFHack to get info) you can just back out without any changes to the save (but I recommend backing up the save anyway, if for no other reason that to protect against fat fingering an embarkation).

Sparky Lurkdragon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:16:10 am »

Perfect, that's got them! Thanks a bunch! :D

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 10:05:46 pm »

To make a long story short...

Please don't!

I'd actually like to hear about this. How are you and your friend RPing in Fortress Mode? How do you share the world together?

I love RPing in games like TES and whatnot and just recently discovered how awesome DF can be for RPing certain types of forts.

Don't be afraid to go into too much detail!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 02:48:17 am »

I believe there are other sub fora where people who burst at their seams wanting to tell stories do so to an audience of people (like jimboob) who are eager to listen to them. Please post stories there to spare boring people like me from having to wade through stories when looking for questions in need of answers (and interesting answers to interesting questions).