Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you encrust furniture?  (Read 2156 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Can you encrust furniture?
« on: September 24, 2017, 05:30:11 pm »

I am preparing the royal chambers. I have a stockpile of cut gems and a stockpile of furniture made of gold. When these stockpiles give things to a jeweler's workshop. Yet when I queue encrusting jobs, they get cancelled due to lack of encrustable items. Why? I thought you could encrust furniture, can't you?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Can you encrust furniture?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 05:54:07 pm »

You can encrust furniture, see jeweller's shop. If it is not a bug, it likely is an issue with the stockpile links to the workshop. Test that by setting up another jeweller's workshop next to the current workshop, and try a couple of encrust jobs with the same gem type; without linking the stockpiles. He should stay near the workshop and look for nearby items to encrust, hopefully he will find the furniture stockpile.

Also, are bins involved in the cut gems stockpile? If yes, make a new stockpile without bins. Cutting and encrusting at the same time might cause too much contention since gem bins hold many items.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 06:23:13 pm »

the bins are there, the annnouncement said that he needs encrustable finished goods. I'll take further look at it in 18 hours, will also try without stockpile links.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 08:54:50 pm »

Sometimes, the error messages in DF are misleading or not quite right. I don't know if this would be the case here, since I never use bins.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 09:02:38 pm »

Perhaps you enabled workshop restrictions on a burrow that excludes the furniture pile?

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 12:22:22 am »

Well I saw the gem setter accepting the job in the workshop. He started hauling some gems from the bins in the gem stockpile. Once he had about 6 gems hauled, he aborted the job with the message that he needs some finished goods. Well, technically, furniture is not finished goods, so I wondered.

I need to see how I generate the job. I remember just queuing 10 enrusting job with a shortcut sequence always use for encrusting finished goods (a, egra, egra, egra, ... a = add job, e = encrust with gems, g = finished goods?, r = repeat, a = add another job), without actually reading whether there is some other key to press if I want furnitures encrusted.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 12:47:28 pm »

Yup, that was it, I must queue the jobs like "a, efra, efra, efra, ..." to encrust furniture. 'Twas all mu fault.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 02:15:21 pm »

Encrusting items is on a per-gem basis. Typically what I do is first cut all available gems, including glass. Then I'll have a stockpile that accepts only the kind of furniture I want encrusted and also the gems. Note that a dwarf will pick the closest item to decorate first, so you can adjust the orientation of the stockpile in relation to the workshop to give preferential treatment. Put the stockpile north of the workshop. Have the furniture hauled to the stockpile from the south. This puts the gems and bins further away from the furniture so it shouldn't be decorated, only the furniture.

Then have the stockpile give to the workshop.

You'll have to periodically refresh the work orders in the work shop. If you want everything queue up the full list of encrustable gems and set it to repeat. It'll go until you either run out or gems or run out of furniture. Once the workshop is done move down a page and go on to the next set of gems. And the next set and so on and so forth.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 04:12:41 pm »

I don't mind having a large gem encrusted from time to time, but thanks for the tip anyway