Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: You are King! - Crown of the North [IC]: Year 353LL - Spring  (Read 12233 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! - Crown of the North [IC]: Year 352LL
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2017, 06:59:58 pm »

Helga gives Falsktnafn a long, clearly sceptical look.

"Right, well.  I honestly can't say how much of that I believe, but it is an... intriguing story.  One that might play well at the alehouses.  So.  You have a truly dangerous weapon, a... divine mandate, and your looks.  If you were forging a kingdom, that might be enough.  Inheriting one has an extra requirement.  What you lack is a pedigree, and like any good dog you need that to have your day.  I'm going to be blunt with you; I have an intricate knowledge of the genealogy of the three kingdoms, who wedded who, who birthed who, and whose bastards are whom.  You aren't in it, but you could be.

"I will, for you, craft what we in the nobility like to call an outright lie.  A falsehood.  A fabrication.  Papers will appear within the next few days that will prove that your father - or mother, perhaps - was the recognised bastard of one of the baronies of Risstan, one connected through two degrees of marriage and blood to the line of Harmondale.  Close enough to matter, but far enough away to be utterly impractical to check.  Your official place in the succession will be laughably low - but it will place you on it, and you and your magic sword can do the rest.

"If you can stomach this forgery and you accept my offer, you will not owe me a favour - I don't believe in favours, they're easily forgotten.  My price is that you will put me on a seat on your council, where my voice can be heard.  I might not even turn up much, I might send an easily swayed proxy, but that's the offer I make.  An extra edge to get you on the throne, for a chair nearby.

"You are, of course, free to get offended and walk away.  I won't mind."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 09:32:32 pm »

Mavi soon finds himself at the door of the side room. He eyes up the bodyguards appreciatively.
"I'm expected?"

Orzo nods with familiarity to Mavi, old hands in this game.  "The Rose is busy right now.  She'll call you in."  He grabs a passing serving boy.  "Get the man some wine.  Pork haunch, too."  He straightens back up, folding his arms and leaning back into a more comfortable position to wait.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2017, 12:14:26 am »

The serving boy looks over at Mavi as he gives a surreptitious shake of his head and a shooing motion with his fingers, before settling in across from Orzo
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:23 am »

"The Deceiver Shall Aid You Thrice"

Falsktnafn nods slowly.

"A deception in service to the truth is at times a regrettable necessity. Though I imagine there will be suspicion regarding the convenience, it will at least provide an excuse to support me. I accept your offer, madam, and look forwards to working with you when I become king."

The last words he speaks not with conviction of one who truly believes in something- no, he speaks them the way one might mention the sky is blue, with the neutral tone of someone stating a fact.

"I trust you have no further business with me? I have a busy day ahead."

((Assuming not. And even if there are a few small items, time magic allows things to happen simultaneously))

"Beware The Chief Servant, For He Serves No Master"

The Swordholder exits the room, nodding politely to Orzo. His gaze falls upon Mavi. He stops, holding up a finger to forestall an attempt at conversation, whilst he thinks.

"Would you be... Master Diventrade, by any chance?"
Long Live United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2017, 02:43:13 am »

Mavi gives an easy grin, a eyes twinkling. "And you would be Boy With Sword?"
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2017, 02:46:30 am »

"I suppose I fit that description, yes. You want to talk to me."

((Should we do this on Discord?))
Long Live United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2017, 02:55:10 am »

Mavi gives an apologetic smile. "Sorry friend, I'm actually here for Helga. Much as I would love to see what makes you special, that will likely have to wait for another time and a different audience. The walls have ears, after all."
He beams pointedly at Orzo.
"If I may impose upon you to meet me near the kitchens in say, half a bell?"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2017, 03:47:12 am »

"Of course.  Take some time to make yourself known.  Leave the details to me.  I should have something for you in a day or two."  Helga tilts her head and takes a draught of wine, tapping a finger thrice against the goblet.  The door opens and Orzo shows the Swordbearer out.

Helga takes a couple of moments to begin planning a heritage.  Yes... perhaps the Baronet of Holfstatten?  That one did always enjoy his serving wenches...  But, back to business.  "Do come in, Mavi, dear," she calls out, giving a head tilt of actual respect to her longstanding rival and allowing herself a wry smile.  She filled Mavi a goblet herself from the wine jug.  "Have some of the repast here.  Falkstnafn there already had a bit, but we've all had others' leavings in our time and the candied bacon flitch is actually palatable."

Intrigue? Action: Forge a bloodline for Falkstnafn in the form of 'secret love letters' and a 'small grant of land for our little union's future' to make a case for Falkstnafn's father to be a certain licentious baronet, giving him a tenuous claim to being part of the lineage of Harmondale.  Just close enough to count as a possible legitimate successor, but far enough away to be hard to disprove.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2017, 03:58:04 am »

"Ah, the sweet rime rose of the north."
Mavi plops himself into a chair, taking a goblet and toasting the lady. "You still refusing to marry me, you old woman?"

Spoiler: Log (click to show/hide)

Just outside the door, Mavi is greeted by a huffing guard reporting something about a northerner demanding entry to the castle. He calls over a nearby servant and informs them,with a despairing look at Orzo, of the need to replace one of the potted plants.
Then, with a belaboured roll of his eyes, he trots off to the gate.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:38:29 am by Tack »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2017, 05:41:26 am »

The Northerner at the gate had been trotting up and down before the guards like a caged tiger, his restless wandering making even them nervous. Relief painted their faces when their master arrived.

Domnall stopped immediately once the newcomer arrived and fixed him with an appraising look.
Yer the one in charge?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2017, 05:47:59 am »

Mavi steps outside, flanked by another two guards gathered from somewhere within.
"Of this lot? Apparently. We're working out the details. You are seeking entry?"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2017, 05:56:13 am »

Dimissing the guards as unimportant folks Domnall now fixes his gaze entirely upon Mavi.

Aye, i am looking for a man. A man with a peculiar sword, about yay high

at this he holds out his hand and indicates the exact same size of the man known as Falsknafn

He might go by an assumed name, i've been tracking the feller for the past gods know how many months.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2017, 06:08:14 am »

"Rumor is he's here, if the sword is as peculiar as you say."
He sits on a step to the side, the guards still not yet lowering their spears. "Cheese?"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2017, 06:14:07 am »

The man looks at the cheese suspiciously for a moment.

Thanks.

then he takes the offered cheese and begins eating it. For a northern babarian his "table manners" are suprisingly sophisticated.
Taking a Knife from his belt he carefully starts cutting away the crust, making a neat little heap before starting to work on the cheese which he cuts into bite-sized squares.
Only then does he begin to eat, making sure to not speak with a full mouth.

Assuming the man is here, i presume he would have wasted no time showing off said sword?

Saying that he pulls a flask of something from his belt and offers it to Mavi.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2017, 06:23:54 am »

Mavi, holding a chunk of cheese in the other hand and eating it far less delicately takes the flask, gives it a sniff, and raises an eyebrow "That I know little of. A southern Knight might have seen it, possibly a northern countess. Is it dangerous?"
It's not clear whether he's speaking of the sword or the drink.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15