Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I built a magma mist trap, effectively a gas chamber that vaporizes victims.  (Read 2755 times)

G3Kappa

• Bay Watcher
  • You lick the Badger Boar tongue.
    • View Profile
    • Fieropa

Essentially, the idea is as follows: you have this 3x3 module that you can extend to create a bridge. People can walk over it just fine, except that, once triggered, the trap will lock shut and fill with magma mist, and then smoke. Victims are vaporized; you will find their belongings on the bridge but their body will simply disappear. (I figured this out once I had to engrave the 5th slab, but it was well above my expectations! I hadn't realized yet that my testing was disintegrating passersby.)

This works by dropping heavy magma-safe objects, such as statues, from above into a hole in the bridge (which is made of grates, to let the mist spread). Below the bridge lies a pool of 7/7 magma, and a floor hatch upon which spent ammo collects. Once the floor hatch is opened, the spent ammo drops onto another grate below, while the magma keeps flowing through the grate and collects in a buffer room from which it can then be disposed of (for example, by pushing it out of the map). The hatches can then be closed and the spent ammo can be retrieved safely.

The setup isn't extremely compact or cheap, spanning 5 Z-levels and requiring various mechanisms and the use of quantum stockpiles, but the 100% ammo efficiency and its ability to dispose of bodies while simultaneously looting them is remarkable and a great time saver in the long run.

My current design consists of three such modules linked together. They are operated from a control room in which a minecart evenly loads ammunition between three chutes. When a lever is flipped, the chutes open, releasing dozens of statues onto the bridge below, while the trap closes shut. The best thing is, you don't even need access to the trap floor to retrieve ammo, so it can be used continuously by separating the chutes from the locking mechanism (although it doesn't seem necessary for now).

This is a link to my design, color coded for levers: http://stucameron.ca/dwarfCanvas/#f4bab

Here you can see a turkey, a baby Llama and a peacock standing atop the bridge.

The operating room, chutes loaded with obsidian statues (and the ammo retrieval lever covered by my cursor).

The instant the statues are dropped, a magma cloud engulfs the poor critters, then they get smoked alive. When the trap is done working, no trace of them is left. Were they dwarves, you'd probably see a few [ here and there, as well.

The magma is collected directly from the volcano, and regulated by an obsidian floodgate.

Statues are recovered from the special reclamation room.

Excess magma is disposed of by using exploits by carving a fortification on the edge of the map.

All said and done, I have yet to test this trap on real enemies. I'm not sure if their armor and weapons will melt away, but if they don't then it's jackpot!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Huh. Well, this is is first time I see someone use automated heavy item loading to melt invaders with magma mist.

Usually, these things are done with a minecart skipping across lava surface, or one that constantly falls in and climbs out of magma.

If I'd have to guess, they wouldn't melt away - you can test it by sacrificing a dwarf. (in fact, it's possible to haul magma with copper minecarts, provided one doesn't submerge them so long they melt).
In previous versions, half a day immersion in magma killed invaders while leaving their copper gear intact, and I'd expect magma mist to be less heating.

Also, hey, new DF site *joink*

G3Kappa

• Bay Watcher
  • You lick the Badger Boar tongue.
    • View Profile
    • Fieropa

Huh. Well, this is is first time I see someone use automated heavy item loading to melt invaders with magma mist.

Usually, these things are done with a minecart skipping across lava surface, or one that constantly falls in and climbs out of magma.

I'll take compliment in that  ;D
I wanted to take my shot at a new concept, and I'm glad to see that I up with something original.

If I'd have to guess, they wouldn't melt away - you can test it by sacrificing a dwarf. (in fact, it's possible to haul magma with copper minecarts, provided one doesn't submerge them so long they melt).
In previous versions, half a day immersion in magma killed invaders while leaving their copper gear intact, and I'd expect magma mist to be less heating.

Also, hey, new DF site *joink*

That sounds great! I can't wait for the next siege.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool idea, but would it not be more effective to use a steel minecart which climbs out of and then drops back into the magma? Could be accomplished with a tiny amount ofnpower input and a very simple ramp leading to a ledge. This way it could keep going forever without needing any sort of manual reloading. Or alternatively, what about having 2 tile wide killzone, covered in grates with an open space leading to a drain beneath. Above would be a retracting bridge with matching dimensions covered in magma. Pull the lever, the magma falls evenly over the killzone, ignites everything flammable, and then moves on. Just leave em to burn and douse em again if necessary. Not sure if that would work though.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting. I don't normally like messing with magma (I don't like vaporising valuable dorfs or socks), but this has merit.

I'm also wondering if I can do it with water to make a mist generator that doesn't rely on fluid flow. Yes, I'd have to cause flow to retrieve statues, but still. I can make infinite statues.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile

Very, very interesting. I once built a ghetto version of this trap; it was basically a U-bend with magma pool at the center. Invaders would be forced to walk past the magma pool and trigger a pressure plate as they go; this would open a hatch upstairs to release a bunch trash and heavy objects into the magma. Reloading happened simply by having designated the hatch cover as a garbage dump. I made sure do dump some boulders from time to time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It worked quite well for single attackers, burning bodies away completely while leaving metal items intact, but unfortunately it also left half-burned XXclothesXX as well. Larger attack waves usually had some survivors after this, since the trap was practically one-shot and spewed mist for only short time.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting. I'm curious, what causes the bodies to melt away but the gear to stay intact?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very, very interesting. I once built a ghetto version of this trap; it was basically a U-bend with magma pool at the center. Invaders would be forced to walk past the magma pool and trigger a pressure plate as they go; this would open a hatch upstairs to release a bunch trash and heavy objects into the magma. Reloading happened simply by having designated the hatch cover as a garbage dump. I made sure do dump some boulders from time to time.

Have the half-burned crap dumped back into the dump, and use a second trap. Problems solved!

Weaponising a garbage toaster also seems attractive to me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It worked quite well for single attackers, burning bodies away completely while leaving metal items intact, but unfortunately it also left half-burned XXclothesXX as well. Larger attack waves usually had some survivors after this, since the trap was practically one-shot and spewed mist for only short time.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting. I'm curious, what causes the bodies to melt away but the gear to stay intact?

Well the metal objects are not in direct contact with the lava, just gaseous mist which probably interacts with the surrounding area temperature to still be unreasonably hot to organic matter (especially since the victims would catch fire and the remains would also catch fire & vanish)

• Similar effect happens when certain creatures freeze to death (not caught in ice, but rather recieve such scolding damage their corpse becomes brittle and is destroyed)
Maybe the metals not melting on contact with high heat gas is a bug (perhaps) but hey, as long as it works. And in regards to concerns over long term item spam, i second the suggestion of using a minecart instead of junk for item lag reduction purposes, so you can keep all the sweet products for yourself.

This trap should be interesting vs dwarves in the upcoming update, if you trigger a dwarf retaliatory invasion for sweet dwarfite and steel armors as they'll basically husk inside their own lava-proof armor.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Maybe it's an issue of melting versus burning. Metals are non-flammable.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I built a magma mist trap, effectively a gas chamber that vaporizes victims.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 04:05:37 pm »

Wait, so it doesn't save their clothes? I thought it did.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I built a magma mist trap, effectively a gas chamber that vaporizes victims.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 08:53:54 pm »

Wait, so it doesn't save their clothes? I thought it did.

Why would you want their clothes though? With the (relatively) new manager order options you can have a clothing industry fully automated with no further input from you, and you can do it almost right from the start.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 10:42:00 pm »

No, I understand, I just thought that it saved their clothes, even if that's not very useful.