Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring in shared barracks/training rooms  (Read 948 times)

Another Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sparring in shared barracks/training rooms
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:36:30 am »

If I have:
-squad 1 equpped with full metal armor and metal weapons;
-squad 2 equipped with some leather and training weapons;
And put them both to train in the same room;
Will they try to do sparring with each other or just stick to own squad, regardless of shared room?
This is important, because dwarf with worse equipment might get seriously injured when sparring with full metal one.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring in shared barracks/training rooms
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:07:45 am »

I've never had a case where a dwarf was injured while sparring (unless they fall off a ledge, but then why is your barracks placed on the edge of a high cliff).

Dwarves only appear to spar within their squad but its completely safe. Give them whatever weapons you see fit. Don't bother with training weapons. Multiple squads can indeed train in the same area. Leaving squads on active/training while assigned to strategically located barracks is also an excellent defense. Put the barracks at the entrance to your fort and your active duty dwarves will automatically engage anything hostile, and then train if there's nothing to fight.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring in shared barracks/training rooms
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 04:28:32 pm »

I have had dwarfs training in the middle of the dining hall/meeting area. Occasionally one will accidentally dodge into a bystander but I have not seen any damage from the collisions. Bystanders get training in observation too.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.