Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: adamantine in the middle of a magma sea, layer above is a giant body of water  (Read 1363 times)

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Am I not mining adamentine this fort? I can't dig below it or above it.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could either try to pump the water dry, or add magma and turn it into obsidian. Depends on the map layout which is easier. Is it an ocean or an underground lake? Keep in mind that you can get rid of water by carving fortifications into the edge of the map, water will flow through them and dissappear.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's just a small matter of dwarven engineering ;)

Cavern lakes can be drained. If the lake has access to the map edges you'll have to block those accesses off (magma->obsidian works very well). If the lake is not connected to the edge you can just drain it through an edge fortification drain. Note, however, that candy mining in the magma sea usually is done by obsidianization of the magma, which requires water, so unless you have another unlimited water source available, you may want to use the lake for the obsidianization.
Screw pumps can be used to move fluid out of the way so dorfs can build walls, but note that doing that in open bodies of water without draining the water tends to cause the pumpers to be flushed away from them pump and all kinds of messiness as flowing water pushes things around.

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright so I fucked up before i posted this topic and accidently flooded the one possible route to the adamantine.

I then dug a strip of channels and managed to drain a bunch of water into the magma below, which got rid of a lot of it but also flooded my work area. I spent the next hour or so mining, channeling, and floodgating the area and got nowhere. Instead I just flooded the adamantine more and created this super hazardous work area. OSHA would not approve.

Lost three dwarves plus an an axedwarf who went down to deal with a crundle and then must of slipped on a rock or something...he seemed to just die. Another dwarf seemed to just get pulverized by water...can that happen? Health screen said he was drowning last I saw him, and there was blood and clothes everywhere, but no body.

Anyway in an effort to drain a bunch of water into the magma below to create an obsedian path I experienced my first ever cave in. Christ was that horrific. 11 dwarves just...gone. Gone I say! The survivors seemed to enjoy the mist though.

My mining operation has been a catostophic failure and I think I botched the area at this point. There's too many slabs to engrave and my tombs are already stuffed from previous incidents, so I think it's time to pack it up and start fresh.

Gonna have my dwarves carve some giraffes or whatever into the walls in memoriom and call it a day.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:03:27 pm by jimboob »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Well, sounds like you definitely weren't bored. Don't worry about the "catostophic failure", next migrant wave or two will cover it (building is mostly-unskilled labour, after all.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, it seems you acquired a lot of experience to learn from...

I'm fairly convinced it's quite possible to recover from the mess, as it's just a matter of engineering. With knowledge of how DF does things you can achieve a lot of things. If you want help with how things work the forum is generally quite willing to answer (although expect a number of posts recommending the addition of magma to anything regardless of whether it helps or not and wholesale slaughter of innocents/everything that's still alive in the process).

If a dorf has disappeared only leaving blood and damaged clothing behind it's quite possible that's a case of betting touched by magma, which sets the dorf on fire, and that fire consumes the body completely unless put out. That obviously doesn't mesh well with the description of drowning, of course... Death by being encased by obsidian would also encase the clothing and equipment, so that death cause can be ruled out.

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah subsequent incidents have shown that that was probably what happened.

Update:

So I managed to drain out the section of adamantine I had previously flooded and used that same water to solidify the surrounding magma. Lost about 5-6 more dwarves that way...that particular mineshaft is now VERY haunted.

...not that it really matters, because I dug just a layer too deep and now everyone is dead.

Thanks for your help though guys, I really did learn a lot.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Despite the results, I hope you found it interesting (I'm not sure "enjoyable" is the right word).

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I enjoyed every minute of it.

It was my goal starting out to find adamantine and eventually to finally see the circus. Just didn't realize how closely linked the two are haha