Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: Heat Signature: SuperHotline Space Miami  (Read 44415 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Heat Signature: SuperHotline Space Miami
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2017, 03:49:06 pm »

So, are you guys saying that if you have friends on Steam who also play the game, you have a chance to get their items/characters? How does that work?
When you retire a character, you can leave one item to become a random drop. You can name it, and it will show up later in other games. If your Steam friends have retired characters, you can find their legacy items as random drops as well. So that kickass gun, or rechargeable extreme range swapper, or ridiculous grenade launcher can show up in other people's games and visa versa.
As far as characters go, PCs can get captured on their missions rather than killed. A captured PC can be rescued by another player, after which the PC will work for that player and even retain some of his/her inventory.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2017, 03:55:34 pm »

So, are you guys saying that if you have friends on Steam who also play the game, you have a chance to get their items/characters? How does that work?
When you retire a character, you can leave one item to become a random drop. You can name it, and it will show up later in other games. If your Steam friends have retired characters, you can find their legacy items as random drops as well. So that kickass gun, or rechargeable extreme range swapper, or ridiculous grenade launcher can show up in other people's games and visa versa.
As far as characters go, PCs can get captured on their missions rather than killed. A captured PC can be rescued by another player, after which the PC will work for that player and even retain some of his/her inventory.
Neat, I've rescued my PCs before, but didn't realize I could rescue them from others. And all you need is to be friends with the other person on Steam for a chance of that happening?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2017, 04:47:04 pm »

Neat, I've rescued my PCs before, but didn't realize I could rescue them from others. And all you need is to be friends with the other person on Steam for a chance of that happening?
As far as I know, yes. It's apparently a pretty rare event, fewer than 1% of players on Steam have the achievement for rescuing a friend's character.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2017, 04:53:56 pm »

That subverter trick for opening doors is neat, but I still think I prefer using extreme range key cloners to grab a L3 key from the entrance. :3

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2017, 05:04:12 pm »

Do L3 keys open 1 & 2 locks as well? I assume they must but I've yet to be in a situation where I could test it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2017, 05:10:04 pm »

Yeah, if you grab a higher-level key it unlocks all lower-level doors. If you lack a key cloner you can use a visitor instead to grab a key from farther in the ship.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2017, 05:24:49 pm »

Oh wow I didn't know the keys worked in tiers. I thought it was like, original metal gear style. This changes a few things
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2017, 05:27:56 pm »

Also even the Rechargeable High-Capacity Extreme Range Key Cloner is pretty cheap, and lets you pretty much ignore the key mechanic in exchange for one inventory slot. I suppose I did start in Offworld space, tho, which is why I've had that for the whole game.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2017, 07:03:19 pm »

Just rescued Dohon's character Razan Castner! :D They were apparently my "Idiot Friend", which probably explains why they got captured.
Also, I'm about to take that character, Jigme Clawless, to liberate the foundry stronghold, which is the last one left. Gonna liberate this galaxy!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:05:21 pm by Egan_BW »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2017, 07:55:41 pm »

This turns Subverters from situationally better than Crashbeams to actually the best utility gadget, and required for Ghost missions.
You don't like Key Cloners ?
Eh, Key Cloners are much more situational than a Subverter. They're nice, but just not as overall useful.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2017, 08:03:36 pm »

On the contrary, I think that key cloners are useful on almost every mission, while subverters are only for when you have to get around some defence and don't mind killing someone.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2017, 08:19:13 pm »

Key cloners are amazing, yes, they save me so much trouble when snatching keys, especially when both the mooks and bosses have heat-detectors and/or shields.
That said though, I'd have to say the Slipstream is the most generally useful of tools, nine extra seconds of time count for a lot when it comes to taking guards out or making mad dashes to the pilot, which has been necessary far too much for my own pride.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2017, 08:27:39 pm »

Slipstream, sidewinder, key cloner, is the ideal loadout for going into a ship and ghosting it within 10 seconds realtime. :P

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2017, 09:24:29 pm »

As far as I know, yes. It's apparently a pretty rare event, fewer than 1% of players on Steam have the achievement for rescuing a friend's character.

This might be because in order to a friend's captured character show up for you to rescue, it seems like the original player must have lost/missed/failed the mission of rescuing them.
I'm playing a char whose personal mission is to save Mali Concept (the character from Egan_BW - which AFAIK Immaterial already saved).

I lost my first character yesterday. It was a damn good character. I was just raiding random ships for almost two hours, but I accidentally risked a docking beside a window and got insta-nukked. As I was still pressing buttons to perform the docking, it registered that for the "emergency repair" mini-game..so it was pretty much instakill.

Although I saw some reviews complaining about repetition or about the "hard-counter" way the game is designed, I think it's awesome and a breath of fresh air. I'm seriously hoping more content gets added on it, there's no reason to stop now.
And after watching a video of someone doing Hard+ missions with crappy gear they get on their first/second Easy/Medium missions, I feel like a coward for getting super geared-up before going for missions.  ::)
I just don't like the idea of a character dying a cheese-death like the instakilled pod one. As a DF player, I should know better, though..having drowned whole fortresses more than once.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2017, 09:54:29 pm »

This might be because in order to a friend's captured character show up for you to rescue, it seems like the original player must have lost/missed/failed the mission of rescuing them.
I'm playing a char whose personal mission is to save Mali Concept (the character from Egan_BW - which AFAIK Immaterial already saved).

I lost my first character yesterday. It was a damn good character. I was just raiding random ships for almost two hours, but I accidentally risked a docking beside a window and got insta-nukked. As I was still pressing buttons to perform the docking, it registered that for the "emergency repair" mini-game..so it was pretty much instakill.

Although I saw some reviews complaining about repetition or about the "hard-counter" way the game is designed, I think it's awesome and a breath of fresh air. I'm seriously hoping more content gets added on it, there's no reason to stop now.
And after watching a video of someone doing Hard+ missions with crappy gear they get on their first/second Easy/Medium missions, I feel like a coward for getting super geared-up before going for missions.  ::)
Nothing cowardly about it, it's entirely reasonable to practice easier missions to get better gear, the main reason why I typically don't is because I enjoy risking my characters, and that there need to be about groups of three or more in order to make them troublesome to all fight in one go.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23