Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: The Calamities of the New Gods (Godgame, OOC thread)  (Read 8162 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Calamities of the New Gods (Godgame, OOC thread)
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2017, 07:50:14 pm »

Sugar isn't really addictive, and that doesn't seem like the level of addiction caused by the mushrooms either. Like if the mushrooms are as addictive as apples or blueberries, then I don't see that as a big deal. But if they're addictive enough to cause negative side effects from not eating them, then that's a whole different story.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2017, 08:32:18 pm »

The cocaine-shrooms, are now as addictive as sugar, it's just effects the kind of a creature through positive reinforcement that they will personally seek a dependency on, it's not on the level of narcotics, just in individual investment. Also it doesn't lead them to short-term to the path of insanity, just a mild form of dementia
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:34:19 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2017, 08:35:06 pm »

But like, thats just not how sugar works. If I made like a sugar fruit, they could just eat that and get their sugar that way. So is the effect that people who eat these shrooms can no longer survive without sugar in their diets? And if they don't have it, they fall into a suicidal depression due to lack of candybars?

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2017, 08:42:33 pm »

They don't fall into a suicidal depression, at least now, all what happens is that they perform withdrawn cravings and spent a significant amount of their mental energy seeking these food, they won't ignore their physiological needs if the option of the two become into a option. The mushrooms just forms naturally symbiosis with the creatures that devour it, the creatures gets positive reinforcement and the pleasure of eating for a high-concentrated sugar food, which creates a demand for shrooms, and the ecosystem continues. Priority is over their physiological needs, before they start seeking the shrooms

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2017, 08:47:49 pm »

People like sugar because it has high energy content. However, the reason people today get addicted is because our minds are adapted to "I will need this energy later" because evolution is low, and lots of sugar only became available recently. By making it reliably accessible now, there shouldn't really be a long duration where they're sugar-addicted, because their bodies have plenty of time to adapt to "I can just eat more of this when I need energy". They might keep some on them, the way we keep snacks with us when we go hiking or such, but they won't become addicted, at least if it's just because of the sugar. Withdrawal won't be an issue, given that they get the energy they need in other ways.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2017, 08:48:41 pm »

You evidently don't understand what you had done.

You were going to create creatures dependent on your mushrooms for survival. Withdrawal gets BAD, and it only gets worse the longer you're addicted.

You'd kill off the worshippers, very, VERY quickly.

So, GM, what might it take to simply create MORE Vri?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2017, 08:51:01 pm »

And even if the shrooms do become a problem, I have a plan for dealing with them.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2017, 09:23:47 pm »

Darn, could have sworn that I called dibs on ocean area. But I can't find it so I guess you lucked out C2 -.-

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2017, 11:27:24 pm »

You have 6 acts Roboson, isn't that over-board since the current maximum is 5? 1 from your Boomerangs, 1 for Potatoes, 3 for your Avatar, and another 1 for your Shallow Sea

Also I'd recommend not spending all your acts on the first turn, it gives too much priority on your actions and doesn't allow us to share the "pie of screen-time". Isn't it a double-standard to be complaining about someone's else misdoings as a god, and than essentially perform going the same path, sharing the pie as you call it.

All I did was think/attempt to make cocaine-shrooms, it really didn't seem that dramatic, sure it forced another mortal race to worship. But it would only affect a portion part of the population, and seemed thematic with my role... see this seems like morality-construct thing, where everything the "good god" does is always justified, but if the "bad god" even breathes a second in your air and touched your grass, your the most heretical thing and everyone should instantly go after you.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2017, 11:34:27 pm »

My god might be a bit more on the neutral persuasion. Maybe leaning good maybe leaning evil and encouraging people to commit suicide to be brought into the undead fold and etenral joy.

Maybe.

Im going to partially base her allignment on who she trusts and cares about the most and mimicking what they see as moral based off them as well as some of thier own morals which are kinda preset.

But yes my god has potential to either be.
1. A deranged lunatic who wants people to end thier own lives and become undead.
2.Bastion of goodness who gives people another chance at life through the undeath.
3. Somewhere inbetween.

I suspect the third one.  It will depend a lot on what my god sees and who they interact with and how they interact with them I suppose.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2017, 11:55:36 pm »

Ah, forgot the potatoes. I'll save the shallow sea for another turn.

As far as my action goes, its hardly the same. The mushrooms would have affected the entire population and made them beholden to you. That would basically be unavoidable for the mortals and would require the other gods to counter it if they wanted worship down the line (which we all do).

Atu is a servant who tries to convert people, and devours/curses those who don't. This doesn't affect the population as a whole and most people won't even encounter Atu. Sure his methods are harsh, but people can try to avoid him and even try to fight him (though they would likely lose).

The difference between the two is how widespread they are. The mushrooms grow everywhere, and constantly effect everyone. Atu is in one place at a time and only effects some people for a certain period of time.

As far as the moral construct goes, Lu is an evil god in this case. He doesn't care if mortals live or die, he just wants their worship. And thats fine. It doesn't prevent other gods from trying to stop him or even from doing a similar action. Unlike the mushrooms which effect the entire mortal population and turns them into addicts who have to worship you, Atu is simply finding those who are inclined to follow Lu and eliminating those who don't. That's a pretty godlike thing to do, mass conversion mixed with inquisition.  As far as screentime goes, I'm pretty meh on that point. If I want to put my eggs in one basket, thats fine. It may be dumb, but it may also pay off.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2017, 12:30:03 am »

Wait is this the sign up thread? Am I posting in the wrong place. :-\

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2017, 12:38:04 am »

Yup, this is the sign-up thread. Do note that there is a waiting list though, the world is crowded enough for the moment.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2017, 01:27:44 am »

Roboson, remember that it costs an Act to manifest a greater servant like that, and that it paralyses your god whilst they are summoned.
Also, the mere presence of such a powerful entity counts towards the number of Acts in an area, for the purpose of calculating calamities.
Also also, spending all of your acts will leave you crippled, unable to fight back against... anything.
Long Live United Forenia!

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2017, 01:44:58 am »

I wonder if with enough Power I could make an item that revives me by making me undead If I die.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10