Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How safe are traps?  (Read 4192 times)

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
How safe are traps?
« on: September 19, 2017, 10:37:31 pm »

I've heard traps can crash the game if they break from wear. How long will this typically take? I'd prefer not to get into a spot where the game is doomed to crash from weapon wear before I can react, but I've seen people still using them despite the risks so it can't be that bad, right?
Everything's in the news today

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: How safe are traps?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:43:33 pm »

Weapon traps aren't safe, spike traps and cage traps as well as feather-drop traps are all fine.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 10:44:16 pm »

Best not to use weapon traps for now. They'll crash eventually, so why bother? Will be fixed by this time next month (probably).

It was the very latest version which introduced wear and broke weapon traps. Dfhack, therapist and stuff weren't compatible with that version for quite a long time so a lot of people held off and thus had no need to worry about it. That might be what you've seen.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:57:06 pm »

My guess is that weapon traps should be quite safe as long as you use a quality material like steel. I've been building traps with steel serrated disks in version 43.05, without knowing about the bug. Never had any problems. If you make regular backups, well there is already a non-zero risk that your game will crash for other reasons, so imho it's no big deal.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 11:02:52 pm »

First I heard of this, including stone traps?

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 11:06:55 pm »

First I heard of this, including stone traps?

Nah, it's weapon traps. They take wear and if they break from wear it causes a crash.
Everything's in the news today

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 12:00:46 am »

Is it the weapon traps that are the issue, or the trap components in them? Because according to the wiki, trap components aren't coded right for wearing out. But if you put a regular weapon into a weapon trap, would it be fine?
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 02:14:36 am »

Is it the weapon traps that are the issue, or the trap components in them? Because according to the wiki, trap components aren't coded right for wearing out. But if you put a regular weapon into a weapon trap, would it be fine?
When weapons in traps (and fired ammo too, more rarely) break the game crashes, as far as anyone can tell.
Weapons don't break all that often, but a huge wave of goblinite storming through your copper spear traps will probably do them in.

Has been fixed in the new version which is out soon, so if you haven't encountered it so far it's no big deal.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 10:19:05 am »

Weapons don't break all that often, but a huge wave of goblinite storming through your copper spear traps will probably do them in.\
They'd probably survive even that, since weapon traps jam on dead bodies, preventing them from operating and thus stopping them from experiencing wear.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 10:37:39 am »

It depends on what you're using on what you're using, yeah. Placing steel armored giant on a weapon trap with copper pick and excellent mechanism, iirc, took four in-game months of constant use for loss of each wear lever. That same pick got no wear on adamantine. Meanwhile, wood breaks especially quickly. This is predictable, so you can just use durable materials and replace things that get worn down (or used named/artifact parts).

Weapons last longer than armour or trap components or regular stuff. (unrelated to weapon traps: Things like falling featherwood earrings breaking outside of traps will also crash.)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 01:57:28 pm »

I've always wondered what exactly causes the crash. I mean, I know it's stuff breaking, but not all stuff that breaks crashes the game.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 02:56:39 pm »

At a guess, the crash is caused by things breaking under circumstances where they're still referred to for other calculations, that then end up trying to calculate something based on a non existent object. Cleaning things up then requires you to find all the places where your broken item is referred and handle the breakage appropriately (if you break the ground under a tree, it should fall [which it does] and the tree falling and causing a cave-in should cause the tree object to be removed from the tile that's now is in the air [which doesn't happen currently, so the tree falls again and again every time it grows and does a Coyote impersonation. A sapling doesn't fall when you remove the ground beneath it, but only when it matures into a tree, which can be up to 3 years later]).

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 06:05:36 pm »

I was under the impression that only traditional trap parts like Spiked Ball and Serrated Disc were susceptible, but filling a trap with normal weapons was still ok.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 06:30:26 pm »

The way I understand it, in the case of trap components these "other calculations" are the damage calculations, which then try to access a deallocated pointer?

Shame on Toady for not using smart pointers. Though game development started before C++11 was released which added shared_ptr, so I guess we can't blame him.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 06:48:57 pm »

I was under the impression that only traditional trap parts like Spiked Ball and Serrated Disc were susceptible, but filling a trap with normal weapons was still ok.
Nah, they just take more damage. I thought so too, based on my non-weapon crashes, but then I was convinced to test it, which proved otherwise.
Pages: [1] 2 3