Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ugly look of the game - only PRINT_MODE:TEXT is OK  (Read 4073 times)

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ugly look of the game - only PRINT_MODE:TEXT is OK
« on: September 18, 2017, 03:03:35 pm »

Hi,

I use linux version on 1600x900 screen laptop. Any 2D (+ graphic) looks ugly. Like bad up-scaling from lower resolutions, so play TEXT mode with is just sharp and clean. However, I would like to play 2D as then dwarfs looks like and dwarfs, and there is few other advantages. What could I do?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ugly look of the game - only PRINT_MODE:TEXT is OK
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 03:22:29 pm »

I don't know if it helps, but you might try not to use full screen mode. I use windowed mode because some scaling becomes odd (wide screen hadn't been invented when DF development was started) with full screen, plus the fact that I want to use DT, and it's convenient just to switch windows.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:00:33 pm »

You could try other values for
Code: [Select]
[WINDOWEDX:80]
[WINDOWEDY:25]
in init.txt. Doubt it'll help, but hey.

(I also always disable zooming with mouse there.)

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 02:09:49 am »

without knowing exactly how you have set up your dwarf fortress, I can only make 2 suggestions, neither of which might actually work for you depending on where the problem actually is.

First, try using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out, to make the sprites smaller again so they look crisp.

second, try using a higher resolution graphics pack, like a 24x24 pack

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 07:30:20 am »

The place to look: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/Tileset_repository

64x64 is the biggest one that I know about.

I'm currently building (very, very, very slowly) a square true type font for dwarf fortress (it is the only square true type font that I know about, which surprises me -- pointers to others would be appreciated).  It should be done in about a year :-)  In the meantime I've been using FieraCode in Print mode https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode (How to install: https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode/wiki).  I like it quite a lot, but the dwarfs are tiny, unfortunately.  It's also a non-square font (it's 1000 units tall and 600 units wide).

If you have a font that you like in Print mode, you can edit the font using FontForge https://fontforge.github.io/en-US/.  It is incredibly awesome, but a bit hard to figure out how to use.  They have a free online book: http://designwithfontforge.com/en-US/index.html which is surprisingly helpful (it's what I've been following to make my font).  If you just want to modify the dwarfs on your favourite font, it would be very easy to do.  The description of the code page is here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Character_table.  The unicode character number is in the middle of  each box so a dwarf is 263A and a military dwarf is 263B.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 08:45:01 am »

Hi,

I use linux version on 1600x900 screen laptop. Any 2D (+ graphic) looks ugly. Like bad up-scaling from lower resolutions, so play TEXT mode with is just sharp and clean. However, I would like to play 2D as then dwarfs looks like and dwarfs, and there is few other advantages. What could I do?
Can you provide a screenshot showing what the issue is?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 01:56:10 pm »

I fail to see the problem with the 2d ones. Text sure looks messed.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 05:38:17 pm »

Compare the extent of road, the sharpness of stockpile tiles or tables or the kerning on bins in northeast between the three, for instance. Plus, there's perhaps some stretching when last two have tileset change from rectangular to square.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 05:44:25 pm »

Have you tried zooming in or out? What size of tileset are you using?

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 08:22:04 pm »

Basically, with TEXT it is drawing at the maximum resolution and anti-aliasing.  With 2D it pasting graphics without anti-aliasing.  If you use a higher resolution tileset it will look a bit better, but it will never look as good as TEXT.  This is why I'm building a square font to use with TEXT mode.

Note that some people hate anti-aliasing.  They feel it looks fuzzy.  Especially Windows has historically done a really bad job of anti-aliasing and so people from that background often have it shut off in the OS (Windows 10 finally seems to have gotten it right).  People from other backgrounds (especially Mac) are used to it and think that non-anti-aliased text looks abysmal (I agree ;-) ).

Anyway, if anyone wants to help me on my font, here's a git repository: https://github.com/mikekchar/lisigatrid

I hastily jammed it up there, so it is completely disorganised.  I'll put up some readmes, etc soon.  If anybody is interested in working on it and would like some help, email me at my user id @ gmail.

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 12:19:56 am »

Basically, with TEXT it is drawing at the maximum resolution and anti-aliasing.  With 2D it pasting graphics without anti-aliasing.

Hi,
This is true - anti-aliasing. With text mode I use konsole from kde, so I have TrueType fonts + full anti-aliasing, so whenever I do big zoom in, I have always sharp, crisp and lovely fonts.

However, I downloaded those fons 64x64, you gave me link before, and looks very good but only as map etc, the same fons are difficult to read.

I hvae seen on YT, some people use some kind graphic, where to download those sets?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 02:55:02 am »

Well the text looks screwy because GRAPHICS uses a square font by default, which results in squished text. You can fix that by changing
[GRAPHICS_FONT:curses_square_16x16.png] to [GRAPHICS_FONT:curses_800x600.png] (and the same for GRAPHICS_FULLFONT), which makes it look like your 2D NO graphic image, but with little dwarf images.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 03:26:04 am »

Yeah, those fonts are difficult to read partly because the font is square, but also partly because of the design of the font.  When you look at text, you can notice that some characters take up more space than others.  For example "MMM" takes up a lot more space than "iii".  With a fixed width font, all of the characters use up the same amount of space even though some of them are narrow and some of the are wide.  So you end up having something that looks like "M i  k e" instead of "Mike". 

However, I wrote this line using a fixed width font.  Notice that "Mike" doesn't look strange even though all of the characters have the same width.

So why doesn't it look strange?  Notice that the i is not just a stick.  It has width.  And notice that it isn't in the centre of the box.  It's actually mostly to the left.  This creates an illusion of continuity with the other characters.

So in case you are getting bored, my point is it's not just that the fonts in the tilesets are fixed sized and square, they are also pretty horrible fonts for rendering text (though fine for the map).  That's why I think we need a new square font.

Having said that, I don't actually know how to get graphics working.  Some of the best modes require modification.  You can look at things like: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Graphics_set_repository and also http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.0

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 09:23:34 am »

With 2D it pasting graphics without anti-aliasing.
True, but I think the complaint here is that the tiles in 2D are blurry, which could be due to a couple things.
- You've zoomed in or out (e.g. with the mouse wheel)
- Your window size or screen resolution isn't large enough to support at least 80 tiles wide / 25 tiles high, which causes DF to compress tiles to make them fit.
- You've changed window/tile settings in data/init/init.txt

vylaern - could any of these explain what you're seeing?

Pages: [1] 2