Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there heredity?  (Read 1205 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there heredity?
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:35:18 am »

This question is for memory hackers. Are attributes inherited? I have seen people saying that they are and that they are not.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there heredity?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 11:20:19 am »

I don't know about physical/mental attributes, but appearance is most definitely inherited.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 01:10:34 pm »

Pregnancy genes don't list attributes, but the attributes of a dwarf baby will be not based on 1000 all-around but slanted towards the dwarven average (stronger, slower, etc.)

I recall wierd having done a fortress to test this.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 08:05:39 pm »

Wiki Page on Genetics

According to this, multiple traits are inherited, including attributes. Unfortunately the DF talk link appears broken.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:17:08 pm »

Wiki Page on Genetics

According to this, multiple traits are inherited, including attributes. Unfortunately the DF talk link appears broken.
http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_talk_8_transcript.html
Don't need a wiki to find your way to the front page...

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 02:18:24 am »

I suspect that one of the inherited attributes is sexual orientation. In my last fort I have two married couples, they gave birth to 14 children so far and all of them are heterosexual.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 02:55:49 am »

I suspect that one of the inherited attributes is sexual orientation. In my last fort I have two married couples, they gave birth to 14 children so far and all of them are heterosexual.
That doesn't make sense. If it was true homosexuality would be eradicated through natural selection within a generation.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 03:18:06 am »

Not necessarily. It depends on the model used for orientation and the way mutations and dominant / recessive genes are handled. It could be that these particular two couples can't give birth to a homosexual baby, but some other couples can.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 12:40:26 pm »

But still, your statement that sexual orientation is passed down holds no value, since by definition heterosexuals are the only ones that are able to pass down traits.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.