Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Jeweler cancels Cut white opal: Needs rough white BUT... therea are plen  (Read 2047 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jeweler cancels Cut white opal: Needs rough white BUT... therea are plen
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 04:36:14 am »

I assume you don't have a save from when the trouble was present, mikekchar? Digging around with DFHack might shed some light on the issue.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 06:44:30 am »

There is a second bug with bins (mentioned on the wiki and I experienced it myself too). Items in bins are often not found for jobs, even without any hauling jobs.

See bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8755

I'm avoiding bins until those bugs have been fixed.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 07:07:43 am »

... I created a new stockpile that didn't allow bins and disabled the first stockpile and the dwarfs would not move the gems out of the bin (and still wouldn't cut them).  I finally dumped gems in the bin and then reclaimed them....
This bit is normal behaviour for bins (in 43.05). Dwarfs will not take items out of a bin to bring them to a no-bin stockpile, even if that bin is no longer on a stockpile. The bit about the jeweller not taking the gems from the bin, that is not right.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 09:03:09 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't have the save :-(

@anewaname: Wahh??  Arrgghh... I always get this wrong (and you always correct me LOL!)  I thought that's what you did to get things out of containers without dumping them. I'm sure I've done that before...  My impression was that if the bin is in a stockpile, then dwarfs will never move the item out of the bin to a stockpile without bins.  But if the bin was *not* in a stockpile, they would move it out of the bin and put it in the stockpile... Am I thinking of something else?  Anyway, dumping (as always) works ;-)

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that the bin didn't work.  Normally if I have an input like that (used by only a single workshop and not the output of a different workshop) I put it in a single container to save space.  For example, milling hide roots -- I put the hide roots in a barrel because there is no reason not to.

Edit: Looking at the bug Quarque linked to I realise that I also had the same bug with bags of hide root dye in a barrel (the mill is far away from the dyer's shop, so I had a feeder stockpile).  It worked for a while, but eventually the dwarfs wouldn't touch it.  Had to dump it and set up a non-barrel hide root dye stockpile.

Edit2: I think I found the problem with the gems in the bins.  I seem to have accidentally mixed cut and not-cut gems in the same bin.  Pretty sure that's what was causing all the problems.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:10:41 am by mikekchar »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 09:05:55 am »

@anewaname: Wahh??  Arrgghh... I always get this wrong (and you always correct me LOL!)  I thought that's what you did to get things out of containers without dumping them. I'm sure I've done that before...  My impression was that if the bin is in a stockpile, then dwarfs will never move the item out of the bin to a stockpile without bins.  But if the bin was *not* in a stockpile, they would move it out of the bin and put it in the stockpile... Am I thinking of something else?  Anyway, dumping (as always) works ;-)
I use bins and QS for some things and not for others... so I'm not trying to correct as much as just put the information out there for those who want to use bins, which add to the immersion factor and enjoyment while playing (for me at least, since I was ecstatic when some dwarf first picked up a bin and wandered through the mines adding uncut gems to it).

To get things moved from a bin to another stockpile, you need another binned stockpile that wants those things from that first bin. That is the key, hauling jobs will not move binned items to a non-binned stockpile. If that first bin is on a stockpile that allows those items, the stockpiles need to be linked for the second bin to take those items away from the first bin. You can use this method to sort from bins that contain a mix of items, by setting another binned stockpile to take only one type of item, such as moving all the copper bars from "any metal bar" binned stockpile over to a copper bar binned stockpile near some forge.

Barrels work the same way.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 09:25:28 pm »

Yeah, my problem was that I had cut gems mixed in without realising it.  The new stockpile didn't accept cut gems and so the dwarfs would not unload the bin.  It makes sense now.

BTW, I'm always appreciative of you correcting me because a lot of this stuff is hard to remember and I get it wrong frequently!

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 12:38:09 am »

So, is it possible to store items without (bins, chests) even if empty (bins, chests) are aviable?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 02:54:05 am »

Chests?

...Chests?

You could limit how many items a location/hospital demands, and thus reduce how many will be put in chests. But quick check with RES burrow reveals that hospitals don't follow these restrictions (just as I expected, since not a workshop).

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 12:01:14 am »

If I understand the question properly, you want to set the number of bins/barrels in the stockpile to 0.  However, if you have another stockpile that allows bins/barrels and it allows that item, then it will always be filled first.  Probably one ofthe most annoying behaviours in DF.  I should add a suggestion...
Pages: 1 [2]