Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forum Game Achievements 2017 - Creating them  (Read 2023 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Forum Game Achievements 2017 - Creating them
« on: September 16, 2017, 04:29:23 pm »

Nice!

ABOUT
An achievement can be anything related to forum games, including related to playing AND hosting. It should not be too specific to any one game but it can be about a category such as RTD, Mafia, FEoF, suggestion games and so on.

CREDIT
You get recognition by either saying you've done it yourself or someone doing so for you, and a link to any relevant proof is customary. No joke games will be aknowledged if not in the spirit of the achievement in question.

NEW
To begin there is a blank slate and WE must come up with the achievements! Once this is live on October 1st, no new achievements can be submitted.
Achievements must:
  • Encourage positive behavior.
  • Be specific/challenging enough that about 10 people will succeed. Better less than more.
  • Get 2 votes, after negative votes.
  • Submitted with the form at the bottom.
  • Get the achievement host's(my) approval.
END
This thread will be locked at the end of the year, and nothing will be counted too close to the deadline. Get everything in atleast a few days before! Next season any achievements that were too hard or easy will be adjusted or removed.

SCORE
If you are the first to complete an achievement you get 10 points, second 5, third 3, and 1 for the rest. This goes to the first person accredited with the achievement, even if they were not the first chronologically.
The one with the most easily confirmable verification will be accredited first in the case of multiple submissions.

FINALLY
With that said we'll see how it goes. This is offered really to challenge yourself, I have no planned prizes at the time of my posting this other than that. This may just be too statistical and may not be worth starting again in the spring. You be the judge and thank you for your feedback!

New achievement should look like this:

BRIEF TITLE
Informative conditions description.

ARCHITECT
Created an achievement that was completed by 1 to 10 people by the end of the year.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 05:13:48 pm by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Forum Game Achievements 2017 - Creating them
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 04:29:40 pm »

ACHIEVEMENTS OPEN

Some rules and details are different, refer to the newer thread for authority.

You may continue to post Winter Achievement ideas here, however Fall submissions are closed!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:25:50 am by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Forum Game Achievements Winter 2018 - Creating them
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 04:30:04 pm »

-
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:35:39 am by roseheart »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 04:34:15 pm »

AUTOBOTS, ROLE OUT [please come up with a better name]
Be a participant in at least 5 forum roleplaying games (not including sub-boards)

ROLLING SIXES
Be a participant in 5 games on the RTD board

MAFIOSO
Be a participant in 5 games on the Mafia board
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 04:36:04 pm »

I would recommend more specific conditions, a lot of people will do those within three months.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 04:39:12 pm »

*shrug* You gotta have some 98%-ownership trophies. I just felt it was a good way to start off.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 04:45:18 pm »

The reason for the 1 to 10 target is make this thread managable, also if it is too wide likely many people that could have gotten one just didnt get credit for it, which devalues the achievement.

A simple change like having participated in a certain number of updates within those games may make them more substantial.

AUTOBOTS, ROLE OUT
Be a participant in at least 5 forum roleplaying games, with atleast 4 updates in each. (not including sub-boards)

ROLLING SIXES
Be a participant in 5 games on the RTD board, with atleast 4 updates in each.

MAFIOSO
Be a participant in 5 games on the Mafia board, surviving atleast 3 days in each.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:48:45 pm by roseheart »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 04:48:48 pm »

Alright, so:

AUTOBOTS, ROLE OUT [please come up with a better name]
Be a participant in at least 5 forum roleplaying games (not including sub-boards) for 5 turns

ROLLING SIXES
Be a participant in 5 games on the RTD board for 10 turns

MAFIOSO
Be a participant in 5 games on the Mafia board for [um..? I don't play these]

And maybe some for playing through a game to completion (making sure that the GM abandoning it still counts, so long as a minimum turn count has been reached)

And for GMS:
FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED
Bring a roleplaying game to a logical conclusion before ending it

EDIT: Ah, didn't see your edit.
I feel like RTDs tend to update faster and have more turns, which is why I said 10 turns for that instead of 5, like I had for the baseline games. 4 and 8 would make sense, though.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:50:56 pm by Glass »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 04:49:34 pm »

I'll submit some right now.

EXCELLENT PLAYER
Go one full month without taking more than 24 hours to post your action after each game you are participating in is updated.

DECENT PLAYER
Go one full month without taking more than 48 hours to post your action after each game you are participating in is updated.

TOLERABLE PLAYER
Go one full month without taking more than 72 hours to post your action after each game you are participating in is updated.

EXCELLENT GM
Host a game that lasted for 200 turns

DECENT GM
Host a game that lasted for 100 turns

TOLERABLE GM
Host a game that lasted for 50 turns
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 04:51:00 pm »

Please go for the 10 player success rate goal, rather than a gradient of the same ones!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 04:51:29 pm »

EXCELLENT GM
Host a game that lasted for 200 turns

DECENT GM
Host a game that lasted for 100 turns

TOLERABLE GM
Host a game that lasted for 50 turns
Are there any games that last that long?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 05:51:10 pm »

Please go for the 10 player success rate goal, rather than a gradient of the same ones!

Ugh. Fine. I'll remove the gradient and make it easier; but its not really an achievement anymore.

SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE PLAYER
Go one full month without taking more than 96 hours to post your action after each game you are participating in is updated.

SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE GM
Host a game that lasted for 30 turns
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 05:54:44 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 07:11:57 pm »

SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE PLAYER
Go one full month without taking more than 96 hours to post your action after each game you are participating in is updated.

That is pretty widespread and encourages joining few games. Something more like your second one:

SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE GM
Host a game that lasted for 30 turns

This is nice and focused. It applies to only one game and is easy to verify. The names of each are curious, if you really believe this is a challenge that fewer than 10 players will achieve in 3 months then it's pretty extraordinary.

Ugh. Fine. I'll remove the gradient and make it easier; but its not really an achievement anymore.

I'm not sure what else I would call it, do you have a recommendation?

Also, wacky achievements are ok:

THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH
Play as a character obsessed with fish. Must mention fish on 5 different turns. (not a suggestion game)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:23:34 pm by roseheart »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 07:25:46 pm »

THIS WAS A TERRIBLE IDEA
Have something bad happen to you on a critical success (any game with critical successes, not a contested roll)

Example with a typical, d6-based RTD: rolling a 5 with the action being "kill myself", unless this was explicitly the goal of the game or somehow makes things better specifically for you (your death helping the party as a whole does not mean that it's not still a bad thing that happens to you).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:30:04 pm by Glass »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 07:28:38 pm »

MAXIMUM EFFORT
Write an action or turn post over 1500 words long.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: [1] 2