Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Making Vampires  (Read 1364 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Making Vampires
« on: September 15, 2017, 09:48:19 am »

So I've heard that this is possible before, but I've never attempted it. But before I do, I'll ask again to make sure: if a dwarf throws a tantrum and knocks over a statue in a temple devoted to a specific god, will he become a vampire or were-creature?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making Vampires
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:22:25 pm »

I don't know off the top of my head (I think they do), but generally speaking it's easier to murder a vampire in a well and lock several dwarves in with it than to emotionally manipulate the dwarves to cause tantrums in the temples.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 01:25:29 pm »

I performed extensive experiments on this subject in fort mode and was never able to get a postiive result. I had the dwarves pull over statues to every god in the place using various methods (their hands during tantrum, levers, collapse of a tile), and never got anything.

Best way is to lace a water supply with vampire blood, and make em' drink from it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 01:29:20 pm »

Okay, thanks for the help!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 02:49:41 pm »

As far as I understand, only a subset of the gods curse defilers, so you need to make your tantrumers (or trolls, I think) have access only to their statues. One known way of finding such gods is to use Legends Mode and find out which gods have cursed the roots of the existing weres and vampires. Of course, that doesn't help if you don't have anyone in your fortress that worships any of those... Accepting petitions might be a way to expand the selection of gods, and checking Legends Mode for the petitioners should allow you to accept only ones that worship deities you want.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 02:53:04 pm »

As far as I understand, only a subset of the gods curse defilers, so you need to make your tantrumers (or trolls, I think) have access only to their statues. One known way of finding such gods is to use Legends Mode and find out which gods have cursed the roots of the existing weres and vampires. Of course, that doesn't help if you don't have anyone in your fortress that worships any of those... Accepting petitions might be a way to expand the selection of gods, and checking Legends Mode for the petitioners should allow you to accept only ones that worship deities you want.
Awesome. So I just need to get an angry guy to tear down statues till he becomes immortal.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 03:08:12 pm »

Interesting, so the dwarf must WORSHIP the cursing deity in question? Because I had dwarves of any godly persuasion do the statue wrecking.

It is true that only certain Gods will do the cursing, legends mode will certainly reveal this.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 03:22:33 pm »

I didn't think you had to worship the god though, because you can become a vampire in adventure mode by toppling statues devoted to gods other than the one you worship.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 03:25:29 pm »

I didn't think you had to worship the god though, because you can become a vampire in adventure mode by toppling statues devoted to gods other than the one you worship.

True fact.

At any rate give it a go, and let us know if the statue-smashing produces any results :)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 03:30:05 pm »

Well I'm trying it out in Traphorses... but I'll be sure to mention the results here as well. I'll be editing the vampire making chamber though next time I open it for sure.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 04:00:12 pm »

I will say that I pretty conclusively proved that you can't indirectly destroy statues and get any result. Ergo, hook 15 statues up to a collapsing lever. No effect.

If there is any positive result, it'll come from ripping it down with one's bare hands.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 03:20:50 am »

No, I don't think I said the defiler has to worship the deity (and I definitely didn't mean to say that, and I don't know if trolls worship at all, although domesticated animals sort of do, trolls ought to...). However, SOMEONE in the fortress has to worship the deity to make it possible to create a temple to it in which you can place your statues of it for the defiler to topple.
It may be that you can use an omni temple and make statues of deities you've heard of (pure speculation), but in that case you still have to have the deity being selectable when making the statue (and I don't know if all are available at all times or only ones the fortress knows about).

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 08:42:26 am »

Does it work if I kill a vampire using upward spikes, then build a pond/well over its corpse?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 08:54:25 am »

Probably. There should be enough blood, and DF doesn't (yet) model blood coagulation.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 10:25:37 am »

You can filter by name when you create a statue, and you are choosing from a list of all historical figures, so sure.
Pages: [1] 2