No
- 2 (12.5%)
I don't know
- 2 (12.5%)
Is this even a question
- 10 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Coil: In The Crosshairs  (Read 5806 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Coil: Maps, Advice, Violence
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2017, 12:32:47 am »

Last Oupost would also be good if it's on the edge of something, maybe the last one north before endless wilderness.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2017, 11:54:43 am »

So, how's about Duforne Howe, Outpost of the Lost?
And AzyWng raises an interesting question I'll mention at the end of this.

So, let's roll for communing with the Coil, since that seems to be the dominant answer. Huh, turns out if you recommend the players do something, they do it! I better not abuse this power...)

Dice: 6
+2 weird
= 8,
mixed result.

Communing with the Coil is different for everyone. I'm not gonna assume.
But here's the skinny:
Something is happening in your home, and someone needs you away from it.

To remind you. You are standing in the waterpit, Twice is gearing up for a fight, and everyone's staring at you waiting to see what'll happen.
Priority Questions
What do you do?
What is communing with the Coil like for you? How did you receive the information I just gave you?

Secondary Questions
What aspect of your workspace reminds you of the Coil: your controlled growing environment, your transmitters and receivers, or your garage? Why?
Does this outpost know of any other outposts?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:00:31 pm by Fniff »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2017, 01:26:25 pm »

What do you do?
Back off and try to return home quickly, but don't make like you're in a rush (yet!).

What is communing with the Coil like for you?
Like sifting through a pile of junk, searching for something when you've only got a vague idea of what that something is. Even though you don't know what it is yet, there's a tug on your mind, like you and it are two magnets. Once the piece of information is found, it's like the knowledge is suddenly pulled to you, the way a nail will suddenly be pulled to a magnet once it gets close enough.

How did you receive the information I just gave you?
As a sudden, almost embarrassing/shameful revelation. The type of realization where you think of an argument or retort you could have made days or even weeks after you were verbally trounced.

What aspect of your workspace reminds you of the Coil: your controlled growing environment, your transmitters and receivers, or your garage? Why?
Your garage. While it might look messy and disorganized to other people, you've got a sort of instinct that lets you find what you need without wasting time wondering where it is.

None that are close enough to make contact with. However, scavenging and scouting parties frequently report seeing figures on the horizon, and supposedly everyone who's gone out far enough has seen them. That should count for something, right?[/quote]

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2017, 03:07:01 pm »

What do you do?
"I don't think. I know. And I'm not talking about Hangman." Flip the V at Twice and start walking home nonchalantly.

What is communing with the Coil like for you? How did you receive the information I just gave you?
Like realizing you have a tongue. A sudden wet, fleshy awareness that has been in your mouth and mind the whole time, but which you simply didn't pay attention to. And if you try to shake it away, you'll only realize you also have teeth, and the cycle continues until you're aware of your entire body, except your body is not just your body, but also the world around you.

None of those, rather the roof above them. Always silently and faithfully protecting the workspace from the elements, but only paid any mind to when it's broken and lets the rain in.

There are others on the radio, and they seem nice enough, but nobody who has gone looking for them has returned.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:09:03 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Coil: What Do You See?
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2017, 03:34:24 pm »

Ooh, I want a try.

How does one describe an experience that is unique to a person? Language, after all, depends on sharing a set of symbols and meanings. Plain English probably cannot describe it with any sort of precision, although when talking to another savvyhead the two of us might come to agree on a mutual code. In a time before the apocalypse we might have grasped for explanations of ripples in a fabric of cosmic strings, or standing in the middle of a storm of computer-generated particle effects. But even if we were old enough to know such things, we wouldn't waste them on the crowd around us now. Instead, the human fallback tends to be paradox or otherwise nonsensical analogies.

Quote from: Memory
"What's the Coil like?" your niece asked, once.

" . . . Hard to say unless you've felt it. Why? Do you think you might have?" you responded, worried.

"How do I know if no one tells me what 'it' is?" she retorted.

"It's like standing in a wind that's visible without actually seeing anything," you offered.

"That doesn't make any sense, Kim."

"Then you haven't really felt it."

". . ." The fixed, unnerving stare of a ten year old.

"It's . . . a pressure, and also a sense of motion. It's direction, connection between cause and effect. Whenever one thing happens, something else always follows. If you tune into the Coil you can sense that, . . . it's a rushing feeling on your skin, right through your arms and legs sometimes, of necessity flowing in the universe around you, and then I . . . I don't know, this is the hardest part to describe . . . it's like I just turn my head, but I don't, exactly, to face that direction and I can remember things I didn't know before, whatever set it in motion, or turn the other way and see where it will end up. . . .

"But, Kara, it can be very dangerous, just like standing in front of a wind. It depends on what the weather is like that day, and how far you stick your mind out from behind the protection of your skull. There are savvyheads, the really strange ones, the dangerous ones, they try to ride the wind way up high. But the only way to have any control where you stop is to keep both your feet firmly on the ground. If you ever think you've touched the Coil, remember that," you warned her. "If it comes to you I can't stop it, but, please, at least remember that."

For unexplained reasons our talent seems to be attuned to people's intentions and motivations, though not exclusively so. Both are technically possible, yet we can much more easily predict whether someone holding a gun will shoot or can be talked down, and what would trigger either, than to predict last night's rain will cause a hillside to collapse for instance. Which implies that it replaces most of the function of Reading a person/sitch moves for our character – it's pretty clear now why Twice is trying to pick a fight, even though the information would be "out of range" for someone who doesn't touch the Coil – but some answers, like ancient oracles, may be incomplete or subject to further interpretation. Or even wrong, if something we didn't foresee causes the "wind" to shift; our sense of the future is not wide enough to create full predestination.

"Memory" suggests that an answer to What aspect of your workspace reminds you of the Coil is not necessarily something that is like the Coil; it might be something that acts as a psychological anchor. Even if its effect is all in our head, when we feel safer we can commune more deeply and get better answers. I'll suggest the growing environment: maybe it's just an old plastic tray and a cheap lamp but it's the closest thing Kim's got to a garden/pre-apocalypse nature. We do all our most intricate work sitting next to it whenever we can.

What do you do?

I spent all my thinking time on the other answer. Since we don't know exactly what is going on at home we don't know how urgent it is to stop it. We do know that Twice is colluding or ordered (depends on where he stands in the Dogheads) to keep us away. So we'll probably have to deal with him quickly, or accept it and play meek.

Yes, several, but all in the same general direction – east for preference – and only one – by the name of Meddle Mark't – is close enough for trade with two days' round trip. We're on the edge of civilization. There is a fair bit of contact by radio, leaders setting up longer trade caravans and the like. It's risky to reveal what you're carrying, but this is more civilized than not and so long as every stop sees some profit no one settlement would risk alienating the others. The question is whether anyone else is listening.

A question of my own (does that make it tertiary?): Why do we live in tire yurts?

As I know from experience with tire swings and the like, without preventative treatment the decaying rubber tends to leave a coating of grime on everything. This is presumably the origin of the black pollution in the water supply, and there may well be a locally endemic form of black lung disease for anyone who doesn't keep religiously covered up. The advantage of tires is that they provide structure for earthen walls of varying but generally considerable thickness. Presumably if there were this many tires lying about there were other materials too. What danger were the town founders protecting against when they chose tire-reinforced earth over other structures? Is it still a danger or a myth?

Vicious sand storms, perhaps. I'm seeing an unexplored Dust Bowl to the west, underneath perpetually looming clouds. Kim's grow lamp is special because it's a substitute for a (mostly) lost sun. The worst storms have become more rare over time, but aren't gone completely.

(Heh, two posts came in while I was doing this. I'm too wordy.  ::))

(Edited after I realized I was running too fast with my own head canon and not paying attention to facts on the ground. I should follow Kim's advice to Kara.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:51:21 pm by mightymushroom »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2017, 04:28:57 pm »

What do you do?
"I don't think. I know. And I'm not talking about Hangman." Flip the V at Twice and start walking home nonchalantly.

You know what? I like this.

+1

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2017, 09:14:22 am »

What do you do?

You know what? I like this.

+1

As you can probably tell from my descriptions above, I was working more toward a survivor mentality than a badass with the confidence to turn my back. Kim doesn't want to show weakness – I like the confrontation aspect – but I'm also wary of being "different" because of the Coil. ((OOC knowledge says this is the start of an adventure and that may need to change.))

And following up on my reference to ambiguous oracles, the information we got is "Someone . . ., and someone . . . ." That could be easily be two different people, and it sounds as though the second one may be concerned – whether needed or not – for Kim's safety. Why justify their fears?

Plus this is the one opportunity for clean drinking water today? I'm sure I have friends to beg from, but water might be just as important as what's happening at home. I think I have the skills to track down a thief if I've been robbed.

What do you do?

Slap Twice. Get up in his face and raise my voice so everybody hears – especially the water allegation.
"Piss off. I ain't Hangman's bitch, I ain't your bitch, I ain't nobody's bitch. I am a free stakeholder. You keep a free stakeholder from their water right, and I will see you strung on the Wall. I know it for a fact."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:28:20 pm by mightymushroom »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2017, 09:35:27 am »

Note about the 'free woman' part: we're ambiguously gendered. Might want to change the wording to keep the mystery or say something like "I am a free woman. You keep a free man from his..."

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2017, 11:28:58 am »

Er, sorry. Fniff used a feminine pronoun just once and I got carried away. Like, this is our hometown so "everyone" knows there's a girl grown into a woman underneath the layers but (almost?) no one has peeled them away to see what she's like now. Meanwhile, we're definitely not some rainbows-and-fairies girly-girl, nor a skin-baring seductress. But you're right, I'll edit.

Edit made: criss-crossing between gendered labels has always been more "confusing" than "ambiguous" to me, so I invented suggested a term to describe a head of household in the outpost.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:34:28 am by mightymushroom »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2017, 09:58:43 am »

First thing, loving all these answers. I might not be able to mention all of them right now, but these are all extremely valuable fuel for the game. They will come up, don't worry, even if the answers seem contradictory at first. Secondly, the ambiguous gender is an interesting one. It could be that Kim is genderqueer, not feeling attachment to any particular gender, feeling attachment to both, or flipping between them. I apologize for the feminine pronoun, I'll avoid such mistakes in the future. Fun fact: I think Twice is agender considering how I keep ascribing the 'they' pronoun to them.

So, merging all your answers together, this feels like a move.
My first thought was Going Aggro, but that doesn't feel right. You see, when you Go Aggro, you immediately institute the violence if the person doesn't obey your commands. If we were holding a gun against Twice's head, it would definitely be Going Aggro: if they don't back off, they're gonna be walking home with half a brain.
However, since our threats are kinda vague, I'm going to put this down as manipulating Twice with the threat of retribution. Since we're better at manipulating (rolled with hot) then we are going aggro (rolled with hard), this is slightly more favorable.
But what's the difference between manipulation and going aggro if they can both be threats?
Simple. When you manipulate, you say you're gonna hurt them, but you don't have to. You could, but it's not required for the move.
When you go aggro, you accept the chance you're going to hurt this person if they don't do what you tell them to.

You slap Twice hard in the face. The crowd hisses in sympathy. Twice backs off, trying to pull their filter mask back on. You see a flash of reddened cheek as they fix their firey eyes back onto you again. You snatch your jug and fill it up, then face them down, legs planted firmly on the ground.

"I ain't Hangman's bitch, I ain't your bitch, I ain't nobody's bitch. I am a free stakeholder. You keep a free stakeholder from their water right, and I will see you strung on the Wall. Got it?"

Dice: 5
+ 1hot
= 6
FAILURE

Our first failure of the game!
A note. When you fail a roll, you get experience. Get five experience, we advance. I'll add more details in the second post.

"Kick their ass, Kim!" Mice, Yorky's boy, yells out from the sidelines. He's grinning: this is like cool vs. awesome to him. A few of the Weaver Bird kids start chanting "Fight, fight, fight" while Yorky tries shushing them. Twice smirks and takes off their coat, revealing their brick shithouse muscles. They pound their fists together. Krone grabs a shovel and draws a circle around you two in the dust. He steps between you two, halfcape fluttering in the wind, and says "I want a clean fight, no biting, no groinhits. First one to start crying is the loser." like he practiced it in the mirror. Twice cracks their neck and pounds their chest.

Feels like a pretty charged situation: you wanna try reading it?
Priority Questions
What do you do?
(I keep forgetting this) For equipment, you have something called a personal piece. This is a weapon, maybe a vehicle or armor, that you built yourself. Could you describe it?
Secondary Questions
Twice and Krone are similar looking: where do they differ?
Are organized fights a common thing in Duforne Howe? Are Krone and Twice obeying the rules here?
Do you know why Krone's being such an asshole? If you don't, you got a guess?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:05:53 am by Fniff »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Coil: Tonight at the Water Pit, Ozair Vs. Doghead
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2017, 04:15:23 pm »

I apologize for the feminine pronoun, I'll avoid such mistakes in the future.
Oh, I'll take at least as much blame for my own mistakes. You've been consistent elsewise; re-reading it feels like a simple (and early) slip-up, I'm the one who turned it into a story. And then my "savvyhead" comes out more like a Brainer (although both are presumably using to the Coil to do the better-than-normal things they do . . . ?). So yeah, I made a less-than-stellar entrance to the thread and hope to do better.

Onward and upward!

On Kim's gender: might be hermaphrodite, although it's not how I'm playing Kim just yet. Given Ozair clan covers a rough quarter of the town, I still think somebody or even everybody knows the physiology*, but the gender is "mind your own damn business." That's how I'm going to (try to) treat it at least until better informed, and maybe after case-by-case.

And Twice too? Maybe this is their idea of romance then, the idiot knucklehead.

Twice and Krone are similar, obviously related. Because they are. Krone is not just older, though, he's much older, by fifteen if not twenty years. (Does anybody have a calendar anymore? Would they just use it for outhouse paper if they did?) What you can see of his hair is peppered with grey, and where Twice is thick and obviously bulging with hormones, Krone has the leaner look of That Guy You Don't Mess With Because He's Obviously Survived A Lot Of Fights To Get This Far. Krone is also a stakeholder, which is why he is collecting water. Twice is not. Probably there's no badge or symbol of it in a small survivalist community but everyone watching will include that in their mental estimation.

Aside: stakeholder at its most basic I expected to be someone who "owns a stake" in the water rations – thus bringing it up at the daily draw is a serious accusation. (Which failed to impress Twice. Hothead.) Other rights and responsibilities may be piled on.

No idea why Krone's acting like a jackass, though. He's usually far more crafty than that. Guess? Relations between a few (not all) Dogheads and Ozairs have been tense lately over hunting rights out in the wilderness. I don't know which side of that Krone's on. Worse, that maybe puts my niece smack in the middle of it Juliet/Romeo style. Could be some roundabout way of warning Kara to back off one of his boys.

((Or something much deeper and cleverer, like a way to deliver me a message without appearing too friendly. But I'm not expecting a message. The worst kind of jackass is a chessmaster jackass.))

Are organized fights a common thing in Duforne Howe? Are Krone and Twice obeying the rules here?
Fights between clans are uncommon (people would cluck about kids these days if there were two in consecutive years) but tend to be, uh, supervised more often than not. Sometimes you gotta let people work things out. Not really following the rules, but then "rules" is a strong word choice anyway. It would be better if someone from a third clan were making arrangements. Definitely odd to rush things at the Water Pit, usually we would take it outside the Wall. Not even sure why he bothered drawing a circle without asking, that's new to me and I won't respect it.

That is my read; I never object to using an info move but this once I'm not going to actually vote for it. Not seeing where the normal-brain moves help with the lone, obvious, and immediate threat.

The Coil, you say? Keep reading.

((Out of character me notices that the GM was breadcrumbing hard at "more info" last time and we didn't get all of it on that roll. . . . Eh, I'll stick with in-character me.))

What do you do?
Dodge. Dance. Wait for opportunity strikes to hit Twice in (the other) places where it counts. Quick jabs, close combat only plays to their strength. They're big and meaty so I just might have an agility advantage in spite of my layers. Buys more time for someone else to object to any irregularities. No good if I bring them up. Go on long enough and Krone might call it a draw, depending on his jackass plans? Bonus: defensive play can be crafted as Something Under Fire. I have an ability that lets me roll+weird for that move, my best stat. Drawing it out, gleaning more information the whole while, is Kim's forte.

((Out-of-character me is tempted to throw the match just to see how Twice and Krone react, but in-character me ain't buying that bullshit.))

For equipment, you have something called a personal piece. . . . Could you describe it?
*Unless, of course, Kim has changed physiology.

Remembered that just in time 'cause the stated victory, making a meathead like Twice cry, is maybe even harder than knocking him out cold. Lucky I've got an equalizer. I'm not just a future mechanic-techie-wizard by choice, it's by necessity. Starver's extra text about strange body was never copied into canon, but I'll take a second stab: I have an exoskeleton sleeve on my left arm. It reaches from the upper arm down to my fingertips, and I built it myself because without it those fingers aren't strong enough to pick up or hold anything. Over the years I've put a lot of refinements and durability into it, as well as storing some small tools I'd rather not be without (such as might help me fix the arm, specifically). The most obvious gimmick here is an electric discharge – hand buzzer meets cattle prod – but I bet there are other things to get creative with.

((As I read it over, I worry I'm skirting bad form by being vague about abilities. "Oh it's built in, didn't I mention that?" The key traits: carries its own toolset – but parts? ; shocker))

Body strange body - stays covered; could be lean and well-padded, could be muscled and less so; and is there a whirring when the left hand twiddles its fingers?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2017, 02:32:28 am »

Yes. Who isn't around to watch the fight? If we don't do that, this seems like a smart move:

Dodge. Dance. Wait for opportunity strikes to hit Twice in (the other) places where it counts. -- Bonus: defensive play can be crafted as Something Under Fire.

For equipment, you have something called a personal piece. This is a weapon, maybe a vehicle or armor, that you built yourself. Could you describe it?
It's a holdout pistol with a strange box-like device tacked to the side of it. Only Kim knows how it works, its mechanics being too small for non-Savvyheads to make sense of. Its effects are clearer, however: the gun makes holes the size of grapefruits in targets, even if its barrel suggests a much smaller calibre.

I like this description...
Twice and Krone are similar, obviously related. Because they are. Krone is not just older, though, he's much older, by fifteen if not twenty years. (Does anybody have a calendar anymore? Would they just use it for outhouse paper if they did?) What you can see of his hair is peppered with grey, and where Twice is thick and obviously bulging with hormones, Krone has the leaner look of That Guy You Don't Mess With Because He's Obviously Survived A Lot Of Fights To Get This Far. Krone is also a stakeholder, which is why he is collecting water. Twice is not. Probably there's no badge or symbol of it in a small survivalist community but everyone watching will include that in their mental estimation.
...but if I may add to it: Twice is smarter than they look, if on the stubborn side. They have a sense of justice but let their anger bleed through more often than not. Where Krone is the mystery within an enigma previously described, Twice is the sort of person who tells you exactly what they think and isn't afraid to back their words with force.

Fights between clans are uncommon (people would cluck about kids these days if there were two in consecutive years) but tend to be, uh, supervised more often than not. Sometimes you gotta let people work things out. Not really following the rules, but then "rules" is a strong word choice anyway. It would be better if someone from a third clan were making arrangements. Definitely odd to rush things at the Water Pit, usually we would take it outside the Wall. Not even sure why he bothered drawing a circle without asking, that's new to me and I won't respect it.
+1

It's how he usually acts when he doesn't have a scheme going for or against you in particular. Usually.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2017, 09:06:56 am »

Yes. Who isn't around to watch the fight?

Changing my answer to +1. I overlooked this angle.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2017, 10:07:03 am »

For the personal piece: I think having a holdout pistol and a cybernetic arm is a nice mix. I'm gonna say that the holdout pistol is 2-harm close [the range is about 2-10 meters] reload [you have to reload before you shoot again] hidden [no-one knows it's there by default]) and the cybernetic arm is (s-harm hand [the range is as far as you can reach] hidden loud). To see what harm means, see the spoiler underneath the post.

Time to read the sitch.
Dice: 3
+1sharp
=4
MISS

Oh dear.
On the upside, you get experience, and an answer despite the failure. Hot-tip: I'd recommend asking questions from the list I posted earlier, in priority of which ones you'd like answered in case you don't ace the roll.

What's my enemy's true position?
You look over Twice's big beefy shoulders at Gate Ozair. It's wide open. A shitton of dust has been kicked up, swirling around in dust devils. The only thing that could kick up that much dust is a vehicle, and Gate Ozair leads out to Dustbowl Tau: no vehicles come from out there. The dust begins to clear, and you see four silhouettes standing around a souped up dune buggy. It's Kara, Rum of the Dogheads (the two of them are holding hands), Missed of the Weaver Birds, and a pilgrim wearing a gasmask with a drooping filter.

Pilgrims are those silhouettes you see on the horizon, living on Dustbowl Tau. You've never seen one this close, let alone in Defurne Howe.
This pilgrim seems to stare right at you, before getting on the dune buggy.
The rest of them pile on.
Kara doesn't even look at you.
The dune buggy zooms out of the gate, leaving only dust in its wake.

This was a distraction.
And you fell for it.

Twice is about to throw the first punch when Krone grabs them by the shoulder and whispers something. You strain to hear, and catch
"Why is Missed on the buggy?"

Twice looks oddly sheepish, shrugging their massive shoulders.
Yorky stares on in horror, before snapping to her senses, walking over to Krone, and jamming her shotgun under his chin. Twice is about to swing at her when Krone holds up a finger.

"You have five seconds to explain why my son is riding out of town with a fucking pilgrim," Yorky says.

Krone grins lopsidedly. "Would it help if I told you that it wasn't part of the plan?"

For once, you believe him.

"Sure as shit it wasn't part of the plan, Krone," Yorky says, gritting her teeth and pushing the shotgun further up toward Krone's skull. "The plan was, you said, to get the Ozairs out of fucking town!"

"What?" Mice says, who was previously occupied with calling after his now-vanished sister Missed.

"Honey," Yorky says. "The adults are talking. Go home."

You can't think.
You're still watching as the dune buggy disappears toward the ever-swirling sandstorm that is Dustbowl Tau.

Priority Questions
What do you do?
Do you have a car in that garage of yours? If you don't, who does?

Secondary Questions
Something about this pilgrim is different, compared to the others. What was it?
What kind of relationship does Missed and Kara have? Why would Missed want to abandon all to go with her?
What's your thoughts on Rum of the Dogheads?

Spoiler: Harm & Death (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2017, 08:17:20 pm »

Priority Questions
What do you do?
I think the key is Yorky. In on the Plan, but dismayed by the involvement of her daughter, perhaps there's something we can quickly learn to explain the necessity of the deception. Then perhaps we know if it's worth bashing (more bashable) skulls in, locally, or even rushing off into the otherwise unknown.

Do you have a car in that garage of yours? If you don't, who does?
I think not a car as such, as that would obviate any thoughts of distraction and easy 'escape' in that dune buggy, souped up or not. It's either a lumbering supply-gathering truck (that everyone knows about) or a nifty self-built off-road motorcycle (that has been being tinkered with in secret and that none of the plotters knows about). Perhaps both!

For the latter, I'm imagining some sort of tracked-rear-wheel(s), sturdy lightweight tubular frame and complex forward-swung front forks capable of soaking up rough terrain surprisingly well and designed to be housed in (what appears to be) two or three stacked oil drums, such as might be expected to adorn that truck. Ridden low-profile, it was never intended to carry much more than the rider, ducked down beneath a small air-deflecting windshield, but is equipped with towing attachments to be used for towing a wheeled or skidded cargo sledge, yet to be assembled, when geared for power over speed.

It has not been tried yet, only ever been let tick over before storing back in its prone drum-tube (either fitted on that lumbering truck, or else covered by a tarp in a somewhat obscure corner of the garage/workshop.)

If we just have the truck, though, there's nothing to say that it doesn't have hidden speed of its own. Perhaps pull out some cleverly-concealed heavy-duty pins and most of the utilitarian flatbed, and even the parts of the cab used mostly for accomodation for the scavenging crew, detatches and leaves the powerful engine on a remarkably lightweight chassis.

Secondary Questions
Something about this pilgrim is different, compared to the others. What was it?
Given we only normally see them at a distance, it's hard to tell, but it loiks like a recently made Pilgrim Suit. Which suggests either a newly-equipped pilgrim from a new external faction, or a fake-Pilgrim who is actually a Duforne Howe resident whose existence and/or departure needed an additional layer of obfuscation, on top of the distraction element of The Plan.

What kind of relationship does Missed and Kara have? Why would Missed want to abandon all to go with her?
Up until now, Kim would have said nothing more than 'schoolfriend', or whatever social acquaintaince setting has best brought them into contact as they each have grown up in this single township, but from different factions. The daily disappearances of Kara were interpretted as common youthful boundary-breaking, but no knowledge of whether Missed, Rum or anyone else was a particular 'playmate', beyond the usual settlement scuttlebutt which barely credited more than cursory attention being paid to.

If one had to make a snap assumption, though (prior to getting anything new from Yorky) the guess would be that Kara's front-role involvement in The Plan stirred up follower-mentality in Missed, who threatened to scupper The Plan if not allowed (by Kara and Rum) to go along herself. Maybe a personal (unreciprocated) crush on the 'pilgrim' character (whoever this ends up being), maybe something to do with the destination out in the Tau area, maybe just rebelling against the obvious hypocracy of Yorky, and her complicit involvement in the original subterfuge.

What's your thoughts on Rum of the Dogheads?
Not the worst choice for soulmate, one thinks, compared with the likes of Twice and even Krone, but these aren't the circumstances one expected to have to decide to choose to bless a partnership for, in one's unexpected role as adoptive parent to a nieice.

If there's one thing that would drive things into "chase first, asking questions later", it'd be this particular aspect. But will the more logical mind step in and harvest some useful imformation first?

In short(ish), Kim has a trick (maybe a trick truck!) up their sleeve that might be unplanned-for by the Plan conspiritors. They might even expect an immediate rush to pursue (after Kara, if no-one else) and have sabotaged the truck (or had Kara do it for them), but easily missed the possibility of being able to ignore a rear-axle lock-up (if discardable, for speed) or instead using the hidden speedster-bike with the unsugared fuel-tank.

Even better if they think the pursuit would just get Kim out of the gates, before things broke down, and then lock them until a cooler head (on one hand) and a greater head-start (on the other) laid to rest any practical pursuit and interference.

Would they even expect the knee-jerk response to be a confrontation with the half-reluctant co-conspiritor from the Weaverbirds (instead of further aggressiveness towards the hard-headed Dogheads already shown to be ready to go toe-to-toe) that would unravel the Plan (and thus the plot) and grant still-useful knowledge to aid in the pursuit and/or other necessary responses to the situation? It would be irony if in avoiding Missing spoiling their plans they ended up setting up Yorky to spill the beans on them.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:22:15 pm by Starver »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5