Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Get me to play Dwarf Fortress again  (Read 3503 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Get me to play Dwarf Fortress again
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:43:57 am »

Hi guys.

I haven't properly played DF since being quite heavily invested maybe 4 or 5 years ago?
Each passing update introduces so many interesting new toys to play with, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next release.

That said, I kinda want to start playing again... is there anything anyone can do to convince me to do so?
I've always been really weird playing in the past. Ragequitting when a Dwarf died, losing a 10 year old fort because I got a siege operator to accidentally shoot his son and a wound got infected, eternally turtling and hating dealing with goblins, disabling aquifers, etc.

Can you try to convince me to play the game straight up and with some sort of interesting twist/challenge? Or otherwise tell me about fun things people do at the moment?

:)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Civillain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel!
Re: Get me to play Dwarf Fortress again
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:03:08 am »

Try looking around at the Community Games and Stories section if you want a bit of inspiration! That aside, if you don't really want to play then I don't think it's my place to particularly convince you - there are so many other games out there, you should play what you want!
I put Dwarf Fortress videos on the internet https://www.youtube.com/c/Civillain

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:18:37 am »

I do though. I really do want to play. I'm just worried I'll play in the exact same way I always have done and, after a few days, go "eh this is boring, I've done this before".

I never do anything fun (!!) because I'm always tied down by this weird perfectionist obsession.

I once ragequit a game because I accidentally dug the wrong kind of staircase meaning that I needed to replace it with a construction.

:'(
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:43:11 am »

For attachment to dwarves: Turn on autolabor, set population cap to high. Never seal off (if it is deadly dust FB that kills everyone, it is a deadly dust FB that kills everyone), use workflow to keep a full stock of equips and throw everyone into military training 2/3 of the time. Deliberately use unsafe techniques such as cave-ins to save construction time and sealing off everyone who fought a werebeast, ignore all mandates, settle to fun location (mind the undead hairs) and just see how far you can go with zerg rushing whatever to death. Heck, maybe even try to avoid looking at dwarves whenever possible, but basically always pick the risky course; you'll get 40 migrants a year, so what if half the population dies?

You could try partaking a succession to throw yourself head first into dealing with structural imperfection as well. Heck, maybe drunk fortress for maximum mistakes?

Also, military or turtling...Perhaps also make plans for megaproject. Try scenario generator, Style projectMegaprojects, etc. articles. Or perhaps perform experiments on what none have experimented on before.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:56:30 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Challenges
Here are some ideas/challenges for FUN and many hours of awesome gameplay!
The old apple revels in its authority.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:56:53 am »

Or perhaps perform experiments on what none have experimented on before.

Are there even any particular targets of Dwarf Science remaining? Spooky minecart action at a distance? ;)

I've done all sorts of silly megaproject attempts before, and one of the most fun things I ever did was sealing myself in to rebuild Dwarfkind with only a handful of Dwarves, but I was under the impression that it's not currently possible to embark with a dead civ and not get migrants, or something?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:33:43 am »

Are there even any particular targets of Dwarf Science remaining? Spooky minecart action at a distance? ;)
Still unsolved and weaponizable. Though I was able to discover a save with that behaviour: it also happened in ConstructIvory succession with their surface quarry carts.

But I was thinking more of longer term science, such as finding the equation for at which precise n-dimensional manifold slice two dwarves will or will not commit to lovers/marriage.

You can set popcap to 1 to prevent migrants; though do not confuse dead and dying civs. vjek's deadciv is still good, though you may want to gen it in 43.03 and then transfer saves up if you desire to run it in 43.05.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 12:00:09 pm »

How can you tell if a civ's truly dead then, and how would I go about trying to generate one of my own other than random chance?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:07:04 pm »

If you have always had a turtle approach, you might enjoy a simple challenge game with goblins, no traps and no walling in (so goblins all have to be killed by your military). Optionally commit to a code of honor that any goblins must be chased and killed - regard your fortress as a trench on the frontline, and all your dwarves as the soldiers.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 12:24:10 pm »

Alternative take: if peaceful perfectionist games are your thing, there's a lot more to do in that regard these days with setting up taverns and libraries. I have yet to set up a truely prolific library with talented scholars simply because such bourgeoisie persuits are a luxury my forts often can't afford. And if you're getting too attached to your dwarves: build the biggest tomb ever complete with {forbidden} dining rooms and buried luxuries for the dead to take with then. You won't have to worry about your favourite dwarves dying in a stupid way when they are already dead!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 02:05:09 pm »

How can you tell if a civ's truly dead then, and how would I go about trying to generate one of my own other than random chance?

Civ screen empty after embark, and beyond increasing the chance by making them poorly placed you could use PatrikLundell's DFHack scripts: slabciv and permit_dead to convert dying with 0 pop to dead and then being able to embark with it if your world has other non-dead dwarven civs (which would otherwise prevent that).

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 02:34:45 pm »

The succession fort Breadbowl got me playing Dwarf Fortress again; maybe it'll work for you:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152568.0

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 03:32:12 pm »

Civ screen empty after embark, and beyond increasing the chance by making them poorly placed you could use PatrikLundell's DFHack scripts: slabciv and permit_dead to convert dying with 0 pop to dead and then being able to embark with it if your world has other non-dead dwarven civs (which would otherwise prevent that).

Oho! Thanks for that. I've got some time off between jobs so I'll try generating a fun end-of-dwarfdom challenge.

TimeMaster2000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 05:11:31 pm »

Try purposely angering every other civilization, or purposely start in an area with limited resources, such as no water or few trees.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 05:12:55 pm »

Have you tried mods?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: [1] 2