Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Democramancy (IC)  (Read 5394 times)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Democramancy (IC)
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 11:17:05 am »

Quietly and attentively Yorboi makes mental comments and recognition of the fellow offers to the kingdom and seeing how effectively they could be applied, and when someone's requests knowledge from a elementalist, he speaks his soft-spoken monologue.

Finding unclaimed sources of water and even conjuring water isn't that trivial, but it isn't higher-tier stuff as well. I would have need for practical developments and equipment to be able to efficiently locate the untapped water reservoirs to have a stable supply of water. Construction resources into irrigation canals, wells, and aqueduct are generally wanting and will improve but at what expense? The complexities of required construction materials from masonry and dedicated even if simple government labor force will all have their expense that budget will have to afford. I seek to perform individual research to make the process of water conjuration to much more streamlined and simpler for even the basic apprentice to cast.

Now onto the taxes, their are two lingering issues I fear. First is your explanation between a poor and rich commercial business, what's the fine line between the two? Is it how much it makes? If their is more than one of the business in multiple areas? A simpler idea is that each business and private industry pays a starting 20 gold into the coffers, with an extra 20 gold for every extra business store or facility in a different city or town, to a max of 100. This will allow economic freedom to allow the commercial industry to grow so that we can afford higher expenses and other laws we in the future enact. Economic freedom and growth, and how much to get currently is a fine-line to deal with. Trust me, dealing with a debt is not something we want to cope with.

The goblins can be dealt either way with mercenaries or a public city guard, they are light threats. The more concerning military threats are the other provinces with their own militaries.. I plan to capstone my research into the developing into sentient water...entities, water elementals if you wish. A long-term goal, not something in the immediate vicinity

A final note, I think you people don't understand how time-consuming and potent magical research could be. We don't have any sort of professional or formal education for our youth to become mages, so we don't know who can perform magic, and not mentioning the dangerous of wild magic. This means that for example an army of undead workers, couldn't as easily be applied because we don't have a group of necromancers controlling and manipulating those undead workers, as well as the required research to perform that effectively.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:27:43 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 11:49:06 am »

"We can simply use both an animatef anf unfeaf labor force for the construction of such things though, can we not? As long as we have clearly markef work anf fumping areas I know I personally can make autonomous shovels that woulf only neef help in recharging their magic! Well... As long as no one gets in their way... Still haven't figuref out how to stop them from trying to fig up things unfer people's feet yet..."

"Actually, Yorboi makes an excellent point, what foes our magical workforce look like at the moment? I'm willing to invest an amount of my time into teaching the masses about the wonfers of autonomous tools!"

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 12:02:06 pm »

"Actually, Yorboi makes an excellent point, what foes our magical workforce look like at the moment? I'm willing to invest an amount of my time into teaching the masses about the wonfers of autonomous tools!"

At this point in time the magical community is quite small. While there are multitudes of people with tiny modicums of magical ability in them, very few have the capability to harness that magic.
 While some of them, perhaps one in one hundred, may be able to harness their magic to do minor tricks after a great deal of practice, it is simply not feasible to attempt to teach all of them. Instead focus should be placed on those who can draw forth their inner magics, as they are the ones who can actually perform spells. The "Evocation Problem" is the true limiter on the number of mages. This is why mages spring up occasionally from "nonmagical" bloodlines, as many bloodlines have dormant magic stores, but no evocation ability. In fact most people have some degree of mana storage. Some non mages may even have a vast sea of mana. However, only those with the ability to bring it forth can become mages.

So, to more directly answer your question, most of the strongest mages are in this room. A few others are either yet to join the council or are undiscovered talents. With those exceptions, there are perhaps three dozen novice and minor mages who serve under the council, and perhaps another dozen or two who are unaffiliated. Beyond that, its mostly nonmages. 

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 12:34:27 pm »

Now, I never said that we should put the goblins above our people. I am simply saying that there may be a way to negotiate with them, and to turn them away from our lands and toward other. They enjoy fighting and looting, yes? Who's to say that they would not be good mercenaries?

"This does seem like an eminently practical solution. Two birds, one stone and all that. If we can find somebody whom the goblins won't kill on sight in order to do the negotiations, i give my support for this plan.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 12:53:16 pm »

Finding unclaimed sources of water and even conjuring water isn't that trivial, but it isn't higher-tier stuff as well. I would have need for practical developments and equipment to be able to efficiently locate the untapped water reservoirs to have a stable supply of water.
Ah.
How about that's the first subject of research, then? Reliable water through magic. Alright?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 01:20:43 pm »

"Agreed"
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 04:37:46 pm »

Lady Leviogale stared at the man who so blatantly brushed her proposal aside. Eye twitching they breathed out before they were silent. Listening quietly. Silently for all information. However, there was one thing that made them pause and just stare. Their eyebrow and ears twitching their tail flickering back and forth in rage. He was a madman!

Very well, a change of the top to be paying 10% should work.

Now, I never said that we should put the goblins above our people. I am simply saying that there may be a way to negotiate with them, and to turn them away from our lands and toward other. They enjoy fighting and looting, yes? Who's to say that they would not be good mercenaries?

"Excuse me. Now now now! Hold your horses here! The top paying 10 percent? Are you asking me to pay 10%? Are you even suggesting such a thing as negotiating with the vile vermin known as goblins? Have you lost your mind?! You seem like you have!"
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 05:03:32 pm »

"Excuse me. Now now now! Hold your horses here! The top paying 10 percent? Are you asking me to pay 10%? Are you even suggesting such a thing as negotiating with the vile vermin known as goblins? Have you lost your mind?! You seem like you have!"

After hearing this Geralf calmly gets up from his seat, walks over to Archmage Roboson, opens what appears to be his wallet, deposits a number of coins on the Archmage's podium, and then walks back to his seat

"There. 10% of what harf currency I own, there as afvance payment for my taxes. Now see, was that so harf? I fon't even have more waiting for me at home. Fo I appear to have unferwent  spontaneous combustion or came fown with a suffen case of feath? No? Goof. You can survive with a few less luxuries you know. A fact that most nobles neef to unferstanf I think. Famn leeches on society...

As far as goblins are concernef... Hope for the best with that plan, but carry a big stick, they're a greefy sort, so if they think they can get away with just taking our golf..."

Glory to United Forenia!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 05:04:16 pm »

First off, I was hardly the first here to propose a 10% tax rate. If that includes you, then I suggest you do your part to ensure that this country has its act together and pay, just as Geralf has kindly demonstrated.
As for the goblins, yes, I am. We pay them to do our fighting for us; they either die, in which case goodbye goblins, or they win, in which case that's our victory.
And I'm not mad. I'm inspired. There's a difference.

Erm... though, Geralf, if that's really all the money you own, then I don't think that you really belong to the group that has to pay that 10%.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:15:35 pm by Glass »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 05:20:15 pm »

After hearing this Geralf calmly gets up from his seat, walks over to Archmage Roboson, opens what appears to be his wallet, deposits a number of coins on the Archmage's podium, and then walks back to his seat

"There. 10% of what harf currency I own, there as afvance payment for my taxes. Now see, was that so harf? I fon't even have more waiting for me at home. Fo I appear to have unferwent  spontaneous combustion or came fown with a suffen case of feath? No? Goof. You can survive with a few less luxuries you know. A fact that most nobles neef to unferstanf I think. Famn leeches on society...

As far as goblins are concernef... Hope for the best with that plan, but carry a big stick, they're a greefy sort, so if they think they can get away with just taking our golf..."

Eyes like slits staring at the money. Opening up their wallet silently and looking at how much was contained within. A lot. She was clearly rich but the look in their eyes showed they were displeased. Biting their lip and looking at Geraint and the foolish man. Before their voice came out almost a low growl.

"You know nothing about my situation! You have nothing to take care of. I shall not degrade my MY!
 Offspring by draining my coffers down. I say 8% A 4 percent increase is more than I could stand especially that I would have to make sure that I can still afford everything I need to maintain my life."

"As for the goblins. Anyone you send shall probably die. but. I think. I shall go along with it Accept your proposal. If. Yes If. You go out there, Erin. If you want to negotiate head out and do it. Don't waste lives on such a harebrained scheme other than your own."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 05:28:17 pm »

"As for the goblins. Anyone you send shall probably die. but. I think. I shall go along with it Accept your proposal. If. Yes If. You go out there, Erin. If you want to negotiate head out and do it. Don't waste lives on such a harebrained scheme other than your own."
Ok.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 05:32:50 pm »

Blinking slowly they smile slightly and in a slightly surprisingly pleased voice.
"Splendid!"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 05:36:43 pm »

Blinking slowly they smile slightly and in a slightly surprisingly pleased voice.
"Splendid!"
Great. Now that we're agreed, I'm going to need your wallet.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 05:39:34 pm »

Ok.

"Shoulf take a bit of the guarf when you approach, you know, so the greefy little buggers fon't just attack you anf take your golf. You know what? Here Mr. Quill, take my shovel. If things go south toss it in their general firection anf then run away. Maybe see if the necromancers among us can offer a few bofies to the task. Oh right, here, take my wallet too. I expect that back if things fon't pan out though."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:44:02 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 05:43:34 pm »

"Splendid!"
Great. Now that we're agreed, I'm going to need your wallet.

Sputtering staring at them silently they shook their head putting their wallet into their long-coat of some sorts. Their face in a grimace small fanged teeth visible as she tryed not to almost snarl at Erin. Did he really expect her to give him his wallet? That much of her money? Hell no. Giving a shake of the head they speak disgruntled.

"I will pay my tax when the time is due. I will not hand anyone my wallet."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6