Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Democramancy (IC)  (Read 5384 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Democramancy (IC)
« on: September 12, 2017, 04:07:58 pm »

You are one of the first members to join the Council of Mages. The rule of your predecessors was clumsy at best, and disastrous at worst. The city state of Aerowell has fallen so far from its previous glory. At one point it stood as the epitome of majesty and order. Yet sadly those times are in the distant past, before the Last Dynasty took control of the city state. Under their rule the city fell from its once renowned position on the forefront of magical research, and eventually faded into obscurity. After the death of the Last King and the subsequent election of the Democramancers, now may be the time for Aerowell to rise beyond its glory days. Or perhaps this is only the death-thralls of a dying state. Only time will tell.

Welcome mages to the first meeting of the Democromancer Council. As Arbitrator of this council, I now call this meeting to order. There are three issues on the docket which require our attention.

The first issue is related to our empty coffers. The issue is that the coffers are almost completely empty! The erection of a new governmental body has left much of the state disorganized, and the issue of taxes and income must be addressed immediately. Under the Last King our nation payed a simple 6% tax on basically everything. Sales, income, property, land, etc etc. This was enough to fund the government and a small army, but left much to be desired for those who wished the government to improve infrastructure as well as better provide for the citizens. We need to discuss and decide upon a new taxation plan, or, if we believe it to be sufficient, simply resume the previous system.

The second issue concerns the city's water supply. Our city has several areas from which it draws water. Wells, rivers, streams and whatnot. However this decentralization means that occasionally the water source for parts of the city may go dry, especially during droughts. It is projected that we are due for hot weather this summer and may experience droughts that could potentially leave large sections of the populace without water access. Though this is simply a possibility, the danger is there and is a reoccurring problem for our city.

Finally there has been an increase in goblin activity to the West in Zanzerwild. The marauding goblins have been a nuisance to our great nation since time immemorial. Though every so often they get riled up and become bolder, travelling into our lands and raiding outlaying villages. We need to find a solution to this issue, as the threat to life and prosperity is too great to be ignored. The previous army was disbanded upon the creation of the new regime, and thus we have little in the way of military might. It is possible we could raise a militia, or even dispatch the city guard, though each of those plans will have drawbacks as well.

These are the three issues officially on the docket. As a further note, we may wish to discuss research propositions at this juncture. The selected topic will be fervently investigated by the Council's nepholytes and adepts along with any council members who graciously devote their time to the improvement of our nation.

Spoiler: Nix (NRDL) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Errristus (crazyabe) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yorboi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lucille Lesouette (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Erin Quill (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Geralf Klein (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lady Leviogale (click to show/hide)

OOC: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=167443.msg7564368#msg7564368
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:14:56 am by Roboson »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Democramancy (IC)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:48:56 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 02:02:35 am »

Ptw.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:45:47 am »

Lesouette opened the floor, so to speak.

The first issue is related to our empty coffers. The issue is that the coffers are almost completely empty! The erection of a new governmental body has left much of the state disorganized, and the issue of taxes and income must be addressed immediately. Under the Last King our nation payed a simple 6% tax on basically everything. Sales, income, property, land, etc etc. This was enough to fund the government and a small army, but left much to be desired for those who wished the government to improve infrastructure as well as better provide for the citizens. We need to discuss and decide upon a new taxation plan, or, if we believe it to be sufficient, simply resume the previous system.

"This, my fellows, is an immense problem that shows to all the ineptitude of the last government. I mean really, what kind of thinking went into this? Here I suggest several new taxes to replace the current system."

"In a nation like ours, it is important that each man be able to pay his or her taxes in any way they are able to. As such, I advise that income be paid in the following way"

Serfs: No payment required. Any serfs owned by the state pay their way through their lifelong service, after all.
Free Peasants: Equivalent of 6% of [currency] in harvest or other trade goods.
Free Artisans: 8% of income in hard currency and/or goods.
Commoner Landowners: 10% of income in hard currency or unpaid government service* amounting to the total of their tax.
Impoverished Nobility: Mandatory government service and 2% income in hard currency and/or goods.
Petty Nobility: Mandatory government service and 5% income in hard currency and/or goods.
Grand Nobility: 10% income tax.

"As for taxing sales...this sounds quite difficult in the current political climate. Instead, recommend that all business owners simply give a simple lump sum of [$100] yearly. For poorer businesses, a [$20]will do."

"Furthermore, I advise a 4% tariff on all goods passing through the nation; this is a much simpler thing to tax than things such as sales and the like."

The second issue concerns the city's water supply. Our city has several areas from which it draws water. Wells, rivers, streams and whatnot. However this decentralization means that occasionally the water source for parts of the city may go dry, especially during droughts. It is projected that we are due for hot weather this summer and may experience droughts that could potentially leave large sections of the populace without water access. Though this is simply a possibility, the danger is there and is a reoccurring problem for our city.

"This longstanding problem has never been dealt with. I find the solution simple. Raise a workforce of the dead and end this problem once and for all. Of course, we could also pay for labourers...but that would cause troubles for our already ailing treasury. Where will we get the bodies? Well..."

Finally there has been an increase in goblin activity to the West in Zanzerwild. The marauding goblins have been a nuisance to our great nation since time immemorial. Though every so often they get riled up and become bolder, travelling into our lands and raiding outlaying villages. We need to find a solution to this issue, as the threat to life and prosperity is too great to be ignored. The previous army was disbanded upon the creation of the new regime, and thus we have little in the way of military might. It is possible we could raise a militia, or even dispatch the city guard, though each of those plans will have drawbacks as well.

"...As our dear Arbitrator has mentioned, there are goblin bands causing  a nuisance...Surely no one would object to making use of their bodies for the greater good of the realm. Of course, we require the forces to deal with them first...I suggest we take a loan from the moneylenders, hire a mercenary force to deal with the goblins. While we wont have a true army by doing this, it spares our nation the burden of warfare as well as providing us with a measure of security. We may also wish to regather the veterans of the previous army when we plan to create a new army."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:48:42 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:35:13 am »

Nix listened to Lesouette's opening statement, scratching his furry chin.

Taxes:

"This tax plan seems sound. Wisely focused on the wealthy over the poor. I support it.

Water supply:

"On this front, I'd prefer it if we could mobilise our actual LIVING populace. Those without any means to support themselves, the penniless and the jobless, we can give them a pittance in exchange for labour. Give them something to spend their time on, AND give the community a better sense of purpose. After all, they'd be improving our city with their own hands."

Goblins:

"Apart from the 'usage' of the goblin corpses once they are dealt with, the hiring of a mercenary company as a preliminary security force is wise. Perhaps a discount can be arranged, in exchange for magical services from one of us."
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:36:01 am »

Strutting forward pushing off their stand into the center of the room hands in their pockets a snide smirk on thier face Lady Leviogale began to speak.

Taxes:
"Well well well. I think the current taxes just can't really do. Perhaps...we give a slight tax cut to the rich. They will have more money and increase taxes on everyone else. Let's say the rich only have a 3% income tax instead of the usual 6% Sounds nice right. Hike up the rest of the taxes by 3 or so percent perhaps."

3 percent income Tax break on rich. Opposing anyone who wants to keep it how it is. Also, wants all other taxes to be raised by roughly 3 percent than the income tax well the income tax for the rich.

Snickering lightly. A small relaxed smile playing on their face. This next problem. Honestly, they didn't care. Boohoo some peasants and farmers were gonna die of thirst. Who gives a crap?

"I have no real opinion on this rather trivial matter." No vote.

This last one seemed to hold their attention a small scowl crossing their face.

"These Vermin. Need to be wiped out as soon as possible. Through any means. I Dissaprove o mercenaries. We should Use some of the city guard in the poor districts.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 08:48:21 am »

Lesouette, while I can understand how you conceived of that tax code, I think there's a better way to set it up.
We have the records of previous taxation; since it was a flat rate, the amount people were due to pay will match how rich they were. With that information, we find where the lowest 10%, the second-lowest 15%, the middle 25%, and the top 50% all came from. I'm putting 50% at the top because I expect that the nobility are earning far more money than anyone else, and of course we may want to alter the percentages once we've taken the time to see the records, so as to better fit the actual distribution.
Then, once we've identified those, we can set the tax rates on each group. I propose that the bottom 10% pay no taxes, as they're the people already earning very little. The 15% just above them will pay a 4% tax, the 25% will pay the original 6% tax rate, and the 50% will pay a 12% tax rate. Overall, the people who can't afford particularly high taxes won't be expected to pay them, while the government still comes out ahead, due to doubling the money it earns from the group that used to pay for half of everything.
Please recall that the 10%, 15%, 25%, and 50% refer to the percentage of money they have, not to a percentage of people. There's almost certainly going to be far more people in the 10% than in any other division.

Erin then heard the Lady Leviogale speak...
Leviogale, that cannot possibly work.

Now. Regarding the water supply. We have elementalists, right? Do they not have a manner in which to bring water to places it wasn't? For that matter, why don't we find a more reliable source of water? I know they exist, underground; it should be trivial to use magic to find it.

And regarding the goblins... have they ever shown any signs of sentience? Maybe there's a way to negotiate with them.

Spoiler: Research Idea (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:30:01 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:10:36 am »

"Mister Quill, while I do like the general idea you propose about our tax matters, a doubling of the tax would cause a revolt amongst the more well-to-dos. Keep in mind that higher taxes are never popular and as much as I hate to admit it, we require the compliance of the nobility and bourgeoisie. In time, we can increase the tax but for now, a 4% increase is sufficient. Of couse, I vehemently disagree with Madam Leviogale. This does not at all take into account realities."

Lesouette, while I can understand how you conceived of that tax code, I think there's a better way to set it up.
We have the records of previous taxation; since it was a flat rate, the amount people were due to pay will match how rich they were. With that information, we find where the lowest 10%, the second-lowest 15%, the middle 25%, and the top 50% all came from. I'm putting 50% at the top because I expect that the nobility are earning far more money than anyone else, and of course we may want to alter the percentages once we've taken the time to see the records, so as to better fit the actual distribution.
Then, once we've identified those, we can set the tax rates on each group. I propose that the bottom 10% pay no taxes, as they're the people already earning very little. The 15% just above them will pay a 4% tax, the 25% will pay the original 6% tax rate, and the 50% will pay a 12% tax rate. Overall, the people who can't afford particularly high taxes won't be expected to pay them, while the government still comes out ahead, due to doubling the money it earns from the group that used to pay for half of everything.

Erin then heard the Lady Leviogale speak...
Leviogale, that cannot possibly work.

Now. Regarding the water supply. We have elementalists, right? Do they not have a manner in which to bring water to places it wasn't? For that matter, why don't we find a more reliable source of water? I know they exist, underground; it should be trivial to use magic to find it.

And regarding the goblins... have they ever shown any signs of sentience? Maybe there's a way to negotiate with them.

Nix listened to Lesouette's opening statement, scratching his furry chin.

Taxes:

"This tax plan seems sound. Wisely focused on the wealthy over the poor. I support it.

Water supply:

"On this front, I'd prefer it if we could mobilise our actual LIVING populace. Those without any means to support themselves, the penniless and the jobless, we can give them a pittance in exchange for labour. Give them something to spend their time on, AND give the community a better sense of purpose. After all, they'd be improving our city with their own hands."

Goblins:

"Apart from the 'usage' of the goblin corpses once they are dealt with, the hiring of a mercenary company as a preliminary security force is wise. Perhaps a discount can be arranged, in exchange for magical services from one of us."

"Finding more water and hiring more labour is not something I disagree with. That said, I would suggest that we invest in a programme of educating labourers in finer occupations and replacing unskilled labour with the dead. With some investment, we could perhaps produce an undead workforce controlled by educated laymen. Actually, you will find my proposed research project with your assistants, if you would ask them."

"As for the sentience of the goblins...well is it not obvious? Of course they are! They also happen to be barbarian raiders and after all, should we not look towards the protection of our own people before that of a savage people?"

Spoiler: Proposed Project (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:18:00 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 09:20:00 am »

Very well, a change of the top to be paying 10% should work.

Now, I never said that we should put the goblins above our people. I am simply saying that there may be a way to negotiate with them, and to turn them away from our lands and toward other. They enjoy fighting and looting, yes? Who's to say that they would not be good mercenaries?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 09:24:27 am »

"That is not a terrible idea, Mister Quill. However, save for the goblins themselves, we do not have any current enemies. Now, if we can somehow get it into their heads that they will be paid as a standing army by the state....then that would be an extremely good idea. Better yet, we could support another band of goblins to deal with the current band of goblins, making both forces weaker in the process....and a great deal of corpses."

"Mister Quill, I have changed my mind. This is a genius idea of yours."

((Also edited in a research proposal.))
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:26:07 am by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 09:29:17 am »

"Hmm... Taxes are a bit beyonf me, but I propose implementing a property tax for those who woulf fo nothing but sit on their wealth anf fo little to contribute to society! Make them get up anf fo something with their lives!"

"Now for the water... Has the concept of clean frinking water never occurref to those of you with necromatic tenfencies? As using the likely fisease infestef unfeaf will almost certainly contaminate the water supply. Now, as for my proposal, we use an animatef force of bucket brigafes to move the water, anf autonomous mining tools are my specialty! We coulf senf some of those at those at the unfergrounf water supplies as a never tiring, anf most importantly, not fisease riffen, workforce!"

"For the goblins... Eh, just kill them. Use their bofies as ablative chaff for our armies, best use we're getting out of them... Although that proposal is very tempting..."

(/OOC, Do remember that my character is literally incapable of pronouncing the letter 'D'...)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 09:31:43 am »

(/OOC, Do remember that my character is literally incapable of pronouncing the letter 'D'...)
[OOC: We noticed. XD]

While I'm no expert in the undead, I believe I've heard of ways to sanitize corpses. For that matter, why would an undead workforce necessarily need to be corpses? There's always skeletons.

[Also, edited in my own research topic]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:38:29 am by Glass »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 10:41:25 am »

The Arbitrator interjected for a moment.

I like the propositions and discussions so far, but I am fairly confused on the discussion relating to the water issue. There has been talk of hiring or creating a workforce to address this issue, but little talk of how the newfound workers will actually lead to more water. Would someone please elaborate upon this topic?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 10:46:44 am »

"Ah yes...of course. Well, the digging of cisterns and construction of aqueducts would be a good idea, no?"
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 10:54:04 am »

As I've stated, we have an elementalist. Using their magics to locate currently untapped water sources should, by all rights, be a trivial matter to them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6