Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 132579 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #285 on: December 20, 2017, 07:25:42 pm »

This was just barely added in the recent patch
Huh. I could have sworn those worked before.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 20, 2017, 07:33:24 pm »

That said, what is everyone's favorite wishes? I've personally always love the Armageddon wish which kills off 20% of the population and does a bunch of damage to units. Really works as a way for gem based late game nations to ruin the gold and the blood economies.
Wish for uttervast, it would be worth empowerment to let it autocast some nasty spells. Then again...200+ gems for an autocasting, hit anywhere on the map commander with whatever set of spells you want might not be the best thing, the main issue I could see is you cannot control what the autocasting does.

This was just barely added in the recent patch
Huh. I could have sworn those worked before.
This is the first time I've seen mention of it, both in game hotkey list and in patch notes.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 20, 2017, 07:58:26 pm »

It's in the 5.09 patchnotes, so it just came out today.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 20, 2017, 10:26:47 pm »

Well considering curses are the one bad thing that you can never remove
How do you remove horror marks?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 20, 2017, 11:42:47 pm »

Die and stay dead for a while. While dead, they sloooooowly fade. Obviously, this only works for pretenders, heroes in the HoF (so long as they can stay there), and unique summons.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 21, 2017, 06:50:44 am »

I know it is a multiplayer game but I can't help but wonder, are there any improvements with the AI?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 21, 2017, 09:04:15 am »

The AI seems more challenging, and the devs say so, so I guess so?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 21, 2017, 11:14:26 am »

It's better. It's also harder to exploit. So overall, SP is more challenging, though ultimately the AI isn't anywhere near as flexible as people.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 21, 2017, 11:14:55 am »

I know it is a multiplayer game but I can't help but wonder, are there any improvements with the AI?
Yes, though it will never be as clever as a human so after a certain point it's a bit meaningless.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 21, 2017, 11:44:43 am »

Yes, though it will never be as clever as a human so after a certain point it's a bit meaningless.
That is the exact same thing that was said about AI and chess...yet here we are, with an AI that has developed an AI that managed to learn chess on par with grand masters within 4 hours.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 21, 2017, 12:07:38 pm »

That is the exact same thing that was said about AI and chess...yet here we are, with an AI that has developed an AI that managed to learn chess on par with grand masters within 4 hours.
Chess has far fewer potential moves than Dominions. A Dominions AI built on the straightforward paradigm of a chess AI would need to consider every single possible unit and spell in every possible situation and would need to think ahead until the possible completion of the game. Way easier when combat resolution is just "one unit wins", new units are never added, and there are no spells. If an AI could be made which understands the game, you'd have to wait years between turns for it to play out every possible situation and figure out is moves.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:12:26 pm by Cruxador »

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 21, 2017, 12:54:51 pm »

How the hell am I suppose to assault this fortified outpost?  The AI built their base in a location I can't get to but they can freely leave because of their flying units.  I have to garrison set up there permanently so they don't break out.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 21, 2017, 01:16:23 pm »

Chess has far fewer potential moves than Dominions. A Dominions AI built on the straightforward paradigm of a chess AI would need to consider every single possible unit and spell in every possible situation and would need to think ahead until the possible completion of the game. Way easier when combat resolution is just "one unit wins", new units are never added, and there are no spells. If an AI could be made which understands the game, you'd have to wait years between turns for it to play out every possible situation and figure out is moves.
I know it isn't really the thread but there are objections to both your points :

1) "Dominions has more potential states than chess". Yes, but that was what was said when we managed to make AIs for checkers and said we couldn't because chess is multiple orders of magnitude above checkers.

2) "chess AI would need to consider every single possibility". Nope. The latest AIs in chess beat the previous ones (and the grand masters) because they don't try to consider every possibility, but try to solve their problem more humanly, going to a relatively better state in a few moves, without considering the end of the game.

This year's advances in Chess AI are basically putting usual RTS AIs considerations into a chess logic and improving it, which may be useful for the future of Strategic Games AIs ;)

How the hell am I suppose to assault this fortified outpost?
Use rituals ?
If you can, try to use the heat++ ritual (breath of the desert ?), the one that will put the temperature of the province in the positives.
Otherwise, try to use one of the spells (Locust Swarm, maybe another too) that consume their supply, so they all starve.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:19:05 pm by IWishIWereSarah »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 21, 2017, 01:21:48 pm »

I see two ways to go about it:

A. Get summons/thugs with mountain survival, flying or floating, since they can all cross the mountain pass even if it's frozen. Use gate smashers and the like to break down the walls and then run in and slaughter everything. This will probably take a massive investment in gems though, so I wouldn't recommend it.

B. Aggressively push your dominion since they'll only have the one province to generate checks with. In the best case scenario you can push them back enough to get at least Heat 1 in either province, letting you shuffle your armies across it for a siege. In the worst case scenario you have to go in for a dom kill.

Basically it's going to be a pain in the ass to assault the place no matter what. Just pick the pain that you think you can handle the best.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 21, 2017, 01:33:48 pm »

Oh, your MA ermor? throw pestilence a few times at it then safely ignore it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 67