Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 132608 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #225 on: December 11, 2017, 01:19:07 pm »

I bought Dominions 5 recently, and only dabbled some in singleplayer as Tien'Chi.

I'm not very exprienced at all, having only played Dominions 3 ages ago, and buying but never really playing Dominions 4.

So with the fifth installment I intend to learn more of the game, and try to get more juice from it. It's not really a complex game, as its intricacy comes primarily from knowing how each of the many playable nations works, identifying its pros and cons, and last but certainly not least, famiiliarizing yourself with the many, many spells at your disposal.

And there's the bit of a problem I seem to have with the game right now, from my superficial level of understanding: it seems to be all about identifying the clearly overpowered spells, and discarding 80%+ of the list. Is this the way it's supposed to be or is it just a major balance issue? Is there real tactical depth or is it all about exploiting the 2-3 OP spells which are most compatible with your nation's playstyle and pretender?

Also, and this may be new to 5, is there any point to non-Sacred units? Clearly blessings can make a monumental difference, and turn Sacred units into unstoppable demigods. Seems like another huge balance issue, if they really render 90% of units irrelevant.

What am I missing?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 11, 2017, 01:24:06 pm »

Recruitment of Holy Units is limited. Not saying you're wrong, but there is a finite cap to Holy Unit recruitment per turn. Versus (functionally) unlimited recruitment of all other units in all other provinces.

FWIW though, playing Dom single player against easy or medium AI is a very, very different game than playing against people.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 11, 2017, 01:41:20 pm »

Recruitment of Holy Units is limited. Not saying you're wrong, but there is a finite cap to Holy Unit recruitment per turn. Versus (functionally) unlimited recruitment of all other units in all other provinces.

FWIW though, playing Dom single player against easy or medium AI is a very, very different game than playing against people.

Limited per turn, yes, which helps but only to stem the flow to some extent. Is it really enough, if each can take on dozens of regular units on their own?

And yes, I'm sure singleplayer gives you a lot more leeway to experiment since the less-than-hardest AI won't necessarily go down the 100% optimal path. I'm just worried multi boils down to executing one of 2-3 optimal strategies, depending on nation, and forsaking most units (along with suboptimal spells) altogether. I suppose all competitive strategy multiplayer boils down to optimal paths, but I suppose I worry such paths are too few in a game with so much potential for variety.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 11, 2017, 02:07:58 pm »

Mages > sacreds once you hit a certain point, so most troops eventually become blockers moreso than force multipliers whether they're sacred or not. And not all nations have worthwhile sacreds in any case.

It's actually a rather complex game because of the interaction between different troop rosters and spell lists. There are few spells that are optimal against everything, and there's counters for near to everything. And then there's counters for the counters, etc. In practice, if you try to do a one-trick-pony strategy against players rather than the AI, if you don't immediately win they'll find a counter and you'll either have to change your tactics or die.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2017, 02:30:31 pm »

Which is why the AI, at least in Dom4, isn't a real challenge to these mechanics. It will have some sacreds, toss a few irritating spells, might even use some battlefield wide spells that can if not wreck your commanders, wreck your army.

But players with a single mage and a few units, and the right spell selection, can shred forces 3x their size.

Dunno if the AI is any better in Dom 5. I'm kinda waiting for a new version of RanDOM before I get back in to it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:02:03 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 11, 2017, 07:01:30 pm »

Is there real tactical depth or is it all about exploiting the 2-3 OP spells which are most compatible with your nation's playstyle and pretender?
Think about the 'optimal' nation+spell+pretender combinations as the workhorse for your initial strategy. When you meet other players in battle, everybody has to adapt on the fly. Remember that the more less-obvious tactics you employ, the less predictable you are, and the harder it is to develop reliable counters.
(speaking of MP, of course)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 11, 2017, 07:40:03 pm »

Dunno if the AI is any better in Dom 5. I'm kinda waiting for a new version of RanDOM before I get back in to it.

General consensus is yes. I'd tend to agree.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 11, 2017, 07:49:41 pm »

A few rules of thumb for this game:

-If you can do it, you can counter it.

-The most optimal army cannot stand up against a war on two fronts.

-Overcomitting to a build can cost you the flexibility a win needs.

Sometimes conflicts don't even tend to be mashing armies against each other. Last dominions I was playing as Nazca, and my main line of defense against Scaleria was maybe 3 mages, all decked to the teeth in magic items, whose entire point was to cast rain of storms then... retreat. Scaleria was trying pretty hard to push giant armies with mage support through provinces that may or may not be landmines capable of killing their mages, and since they attack defender goes first.

This is likely a strategy that only would have come up to me that game because of the specific pressures that I had to face, but my method of dealing with a bless strategy would likely be the same as the one I did last dominions for the most part. Tons of archers and fire arrows as an enchantment, with 100 slaves as blockers. It won't work all the time, and it shouldn't, but it works most the time, and should be able to crush most elite units that are about combat prowess above all.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2017, 12:33:57 am »

Sometimes conflicts don't even tend to be mashing armies against each other. Last dominions I was playing as Nazca, and my main line of defense against Scaleria was maybe 3 mages, all decked to the teeth in magic items, whose entire point was to cast rain of storms then... retreat. Scaleria was trying pretty hard to push giant armies with mage support through provinces that may or may not be landmines capable of killing their mages, and since they attack defender goes first.

As the Sceleria player that game I can agree that this was an extraordinarily effective defense. But at the same time it was necessary, as my troop numbers more or less meant I could trade 10 of my troops for 1 of his and still come out ahead. (Longdead are cheap. Free, even.)

As another anecdote there is the tale of me fighting Marverni, they used a Blood Vengeance Bless, and with their freesspawning Great Boars, the Boarpocalypse was well underway, with human armies being trampled underfoot and larger armies swarmed and gored while taking the retribution damage from Blood Vengeance.. Trying to do what chaoticag did and doing a quick earthquake would be a suicide mission; as boars are actually durable; a Turn 1 Quake is not easy to do either, more or less mandating 10 turns of being knocked out and a Turn 2 quake would have the caster dealing with a few hundred instances of Blood Vengeance being directed at them... And the Boars are durable enough to mandate multiple quakes to kill...
What I did was simple: [REDACTED] (Ask me personally for details, if you really want to know). It was very successful. The moral of the story? If the situation seems dire, search the spell list; there might be a spell that addresses it perfectly.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:58:02 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2017, 12:38:36 am »

So with the fifth installment I intend to learn more of the game, and try to get more juice from it. It's not really a complex game, as its intricacy comes primarily from knowing how each of the many playable nations works, identifying its pros and cons, and last but certainly not least, famiiliarizing yourself with the many, many spells at your disposal.
How is knowing seventy some nations and thousands of spells and units and using them effectively not complex?

And there's the bit of a problem I seem to have with the game right now, from my superficial level of understanding: it seems to be all about identifying the clearly overpowered spells, and discarding 80%+ of the list. Is this the way it's supposed to be or is it just a major balance issue? Is there real tactical depth or is it all about exploiting the 2-3 OP spells which are most compatible with your nation's playstyle and pretender?
Well, you're playing singleplayer, so you can do it that way. The issue with that comes in multiplayer, when you use a single tactic (not necessarily based on a particular spell or spells) and get countered. If you're too ironbound in one "OP" setup, you'll get fleeced.

Also, and this may be new to 5, is there any point to non-Sacred units? Clearly blessings can make a monumental difference, and turn Sacred units into unstoppable demigods. Seems like another huge balance issue, if they really render 90% of units irrelevant.
Well regarding the details of the balance, it's not totally clear yet since no serious game has been played to completion yet, and it'll take several before we really know anything for sure. But in general, the benefit to sacred units is that you can get a heck of a lot more of them – and blesses are nice, but for the most part they don't do anything you can't do with alteration and construction, and save on pretender points. They're only good because you can get them out early, but you pay for that in scales.

What am I missing?
When people talk about Dominions using incredibly praising terms, they're not talking about the singleplayer experience. The AI is ordinary video game AI, and as such is not capable of imitating human creativity and response to novel situations. As such, the singleplayer gameis a decent strategy experience, but little more – it's mostly noted for its lore, and the pervasiveness of the lore's effects on mechanics.

I should note here, because a lot of people hear "multiplayer" and think "that isn't for me" that Dominions multiplayer is not really like video game multiplayer in general. It's more like the online play of chess or shogi, if you're familiar with that. There are lots of people who play Dominions MP that didn't play anything multiplayer before Dominions, and still don't play anything else in that context.

It is against high difficulties too. It's not necessarily super easy any more, because the AI gets to "cheat" with bonus to many things, but it's not like playing a competent human. You could talk to Wilson Max about it it you're interested, he's gone further down that rabbit hole than anyone else to my knowledge.

Limited per turn, yes, which helps but only to stem the flow to some extent. Is it really enough, if each can take on dozens of regular units on their own?
If it can take down twenty four units but your enemy has twenty five, then yeah. But don't forget that your enemy (if you're not playing against AI) can also use magic and will have his own tactics in mind. Even if you somehow made an army that could kill any amount of non-sacreds, all they need to do then is survive long enough for his mages to kill your sacreds via non-troop means. Of course, if you can make him commit that many mages, then you can harry them with raiding parties, make them spend their gems, pick them off a few at a time (or many at once with spells like earthquake) using small armies that you don't mind losing, and only then hit them with your real army.

I'm just worried multi boils down to executing one of 2-3 optimal strategies, depending on nation, and forsaking most units (along with suboptimal spells) altogether. I suppose all competitive strategy multiplayer boils down to optimal paths, but I suppose I worry such paths are too few in a game with so much potential for variety.
This perception isn't entirely unfounded, but I think you're really overestimating the problem. Sure, each nation has a few optimal strategies, but there's a ton of nations. And each "strategy" has to be discovered, and people don't always agree what's good and what's totally foolish, and even when people broadly agree, the details differ – And after all that, it's invalidated when things change, whether that's a strategic situation within the specific game you're playing, or on a larger meta-defining scale like updates to Dominions itself. Because while Dominions, like any game, isn't perfectly balanced, it's close enough that updates do majorly swing meta, as people catch up to the changes.

To give an example that's less abstract, I've played a game as Marverni that readers of my AARs may remember. I looked at one of Marverni's very obvious strategies – use the unlimited amounts of sacred boars. The problem is, those boars are pretty mediocre units. Even with a bless, they're not going to do all that much against most opponents by themselves. So I thought to combine them with Marverni's other quite obvious advantage – the Sequani, very cheap astral mages. So my boars exist to protect my mages, and my mages, who were cheap but who I still needed scales to leverage in sufficient numbers, cast particular spells to support them – Stellar Cascades, which deals damage to fatigue instead of health, and thereby weakens my enemy enough for the pigs to properly kill them. The problem is, with my pretender points spent on the bless for the pigs and scales for the mages, I had hardly any adequate method of expanding, and no real assets for an early war. If I had been attacked early on, I'd have been wiped out. It was only thanks to luck and diplomacy that this didn't happen. But when I did get things on line, I got the kind of effect that you're seeing in singleplayer, where I was able to dominate by combining a few things. The only downside was that, in order to punish enemy evocation against my pigs and (relatively fragile) mages, I'd taken blood vengeance, which prevented me from using other high efficiency spells like Gifts from Heaven, which has very low accuracy but deals high damage to a single square. Normally, that's great for Marverni, since killing a few pigs is no big deal but killing a few of the enemy can really hurt them, depending on who you're fighting. But in this case, killing a few pigs also killed the mage. But it didn't matter too much, because I was winning every major battle – And then, for reasons pertaining to strategic deployment, I lost the game. If that hadn't happened, I very well might have won, because it was a relatively small game, but then again, I might fairly easily have been countered if someone had built an SC with regeneration, a lot of reinvigoration, and a small horde of backup dancers to draw away excessive evocations. If that was the case, I could fall back on the totally different mage strategy of using my sequani for communions and casting other spells – buffs targeted at countering the SC, most likely, but if I could get to really end-game research in time, I could spam master enslave in the hopes of capturing it. But then by that time, my opponent might have more SCs ready for me, or something else that could totally annihilate my army in some way that I haven't thought of yet. And in all those turns of tactical arms race, the strategic game could be won by one side or another at any point. Including the counter that Jilladilla just posted, which I never thought of, and which would effect my mages almost as well as it effects the boars.

Mages > sacreds once you hit a certain point, so most troops eventually become blockers moreso than force multipliers whether they're sacred or not. And not all nations have worthwhile sacreds in any case.
Eh. Dominions 3 was the era of the supercombatant, and Dominions 4 was the era of mage support, but it's not yet clear what the dominant consideration of Dominions 5 will be. Sacreds may indeed matter more.

-The most optimal army cannot stand up against a war on two fronts.
True of a single army, but a nation can (and, if it's to win, will) have multiple armies. To state the point slightly more directly, you can only have so many really good armies at a time. Battles are one on the back of tactics, but wars are won on logistics.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:41:08 am by Cruxador »

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2017, 04:48:53 am »

+1 Dom 4 MP is the most complex and deep strategy game I've played. It's like asymmetric chess on a board that spans the tactical, operational and strategic layer. SP is just to familiarize yourself with mechanics before MP.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 12, 2017, 04:55:14 am »

Speed is King in dominions 5, imo.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 12, 2017, 06:52:43 am »

Did ma ermor and lemuria change a lot.
Also, what are death aligned priest spells

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 12, 2017, 06:58:12 am »

Don't remember the Banishment, but the Smite is 'Syllable of Death'.

10 AN Damage, MR Negates. No Effect on Inanimate or Undead.
If that hits, the target has to succeed a MR check or die.
Even if they succeed, they still get hit by a decent amount of Fatigue damage.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 12, 2017, 09:35:46 am »

The biggest change to both is that they get Death Gems from their temples now, up to max dominion, but get less starting gems to compensate. Lemuria's mages are affected twice as much by Magic scales, so going 3 Magic is +6 RP to their national mages and not +3. Finally Lemuria's national summons got rebalanced slightly, with their weakest mage being noticably cheaper but lacking immortality.

I can't say if MA Ermor got similar changes, honestly. Most of this I just know from reading forum posts online, so I would double-check if I were you.

Eh. Dominions 3 was the era of the supercombatant, and Dominions 4 was the era of mage support, but it's not yet clear what the dominant consideration of Dominions 5 will be. Sacreds may indeed matter more.

To be honest I feel like this is a bit of a nerf to sacreds. Blesses were expanded and are customizable now, but it's harder to get quite as much out of them as you used to. Before you used to be able to take a great bless and then Imprision your Pretender for acceptable scales as well. Now you have to figure out whether to take them Awake or Dominant for Incarnate blesses, or go entirely with minor blesses and Imprision them for okay scales. Don't get me wrong. I think that this is a good balance change from before, especially since it breaks up the dominance of ExN9 blesses, but I don't think it's a straight buff to sacreds and bless strategies in general. Maybe to some, like sacred mages, but overall I think we're paying more for less with blesses.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 67