Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 132369 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #900 on: February 14, 2022, 10:04:21 pm »

In previous versions, I think the strategy was to use them as thugs with Snake Bladder Sticks + Armor.  Flying Boots/Trample Boots optional

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 14, 2022, 10:15:46 pm »

The problem is how to make the scouts cost-effective. I'm assuming the basic bless idea is Larger + Regen, so you've got +5hp/rd... but the problem is that if you want them to be killy, they need at least a Frostbrand, and to not die they need some sort of shield or armor. That means you're looking at no less than 15 gems after a bottle of holy water is added. I'm not sure you can reasonably make this into something that can safely solo modest PD unless you really go nuts on the bless, and even then it's possibly dicey, especially since the kind of stuff that seems most likely to help would require very toxic dominion to buy (e.g., ethereal).

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 14, 2022, 10:43:25 pm »

Solo the lightly defended provinces and double or triple up on the others would be the tactic there, I think. Still a hard sell if you're spending 15 gems on a thug without paths. Feels like you'd have better results with 3 nicely geared Skratti.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 10:45:57 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 15, 2022, 10:11:49 am »

So if you're interested in this game, it's actually on sale.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

Wish it was on sale when I had to purchase it to play multiplayer, but whatever.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 07, 2022, 08:56:28 pm »

Playing Dominions again for the first time in 1-2y has kinda made me wanna go back and work on NationGen again. I had so much half-done work, especially on occidental nations and enkidu nations. I don't think I'm in a headspace where I can do that, but I keep going back and looking at the stuff, sigh...

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 08, 2022, 01:54:41 pm »

Ind in Bay12 Round 5 is searching for a replacement.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 12, 2022, 01:08:13 am »

Fiddling with MA Ermor and reviewing other nations, I think certain nations like MA Ermor are more suited for a single player game rather than multiplayer competition.  While a player certainly can play MA Ermor, they're both forced into early war with their neighbors and not well protected against such wars.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 12, 2022, 01:24:33 pm »

They're quite capable of it - it just takes more finesse. Dominions doesn't have rock-paper-scissors balance - there's nations that are easier and harder along various axes, and domkill nations tend to set diplomacy to hardmode in MP. You definitely can't play Ermor the same as a living nation, though.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 12, 2022, 10:02:47 pm »

They seem to be decently popular in multiplayer from what I've seen, maybe not as much as nations like Ulm or Ys, but certainly better then the unpopular nations like Eriu. And I think they are pretty good in an early war. A lot of times just a giant mass of undead can be good enough early, and a proper bless on lictors turns them into absolutely terrifying killing machines that can kill 10-20 times their own numbers in normal human infantry without taking a scratch. I think they do suffer in the mid game though with their bad research which leads to a mono dimensional threat profile. That said, strong early, weak mid gives them I think a bit of a leg up on the diplomacy game where they are as Albright says suffering in, since no one wants to be the first one to fight Ermor and you can sorta leave them until later when you can deploy good counters... just hopefully not too much later when they turn into the turn zombie apocalypse.

Edit: I guess I should say to make clear, it's not that Ermor has a weak mid game, their mid game is actually super strong, just that they can get there later then other nations, and that can be a huge deal if say, someone comes at you with thuam 6 when you're still on enchantment 5.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 06:37:38 am by Criptfeind »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 13, 2022, 01:53:28 pm »

I think MA Ermor is more popular because people like playing it, rather than it necessarily being a great MP nation.
I've seen a least a couple Ermor mega fails.
Their expansion needs to be timed out perfectly, and I personally think they need to lean on Indy mages more than others, yet they don't have the gold for it.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 14, 2022, 07:20:44 am »

Ermor's been there since the original Dominions and has always been kind of a popular fun nation. There's ultimately just something about being a big bad necromancer god with differing mechanics from normal nations and your whole shtick is turning the standard thing on its head and producing a bunch of undead hordes with some powerful sacreds and dark gem fueled summons to flood the world.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 15, 2022, 02:43:05 pm »

Anyone knows how the affliction resistance perk works, exactly?
I see it on Phlegran gigantes, and they certainly do stay mostly healthy despite heavy fighting. But what does the number by the perk signify? Is affliction resistance 3 a bit better than 2, or a whole lot better?
And how does it interact with curses?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 15, 2022, 02:54:35 pm »

Quote from: Dominions 5 Modding Manual
The monster is less likely to suffer an affliction when taking damage. A value of 1 makes it half as likely, a value of 2 makes it one third as likely, etc. Air Elementals and similar have a value of 99, making it almost impossible to get an affliction.

If the modding manual is correct, then each point of affliction resistance provides less of a bonus than the one before it. I can't find anything about how they interact with curses, but I assume they stack multiplicatively.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 15, 2022, 04:56:36 pm »

Ta.
I found this on the illwiki (should have looked there first), in case anyone's interested:
The chance is simply the percentage of its total maximum points a unit suffers on that strike (E.g. an infantry unit with a maximum of 10 hp will have a 20% chance of suffering an affliction upon taking 2 hp damage). This is further modified by other factors: being cursed increases affliction chance by a flat 15% every time damage is taken1), and regeneration reduces affliction rate to 500/(regeneration percentage) percent (E.g. 10% regeneration reduces afflictions by 50%). Additionally, affliction resistance has a 100% x (affliction resistance)/(affliction resistance + 1) chance to reduce the chance to 0.5%, regardless of the size of the original damage (E.g. affliction resistance 3 reduces afflictions by ~74.5%).
referring to this code diving bit:
Gaining Afflictions when Damaged

Calculate (damage done*1000)/unit's max hp. Call this Value 1 and keep it for later.
    Calc value 2: Multiply value 1 by the value of unknown unit effect 0x12d (I have no idea what this does). Then divide this by 100.
    Final affliction value: Add 1 and 2 together
    If cursed, add 150 to this sum
    If active regen percentage is greater than 5, the value instead becomes (value * 100)/(regen percentage * 20)
    Get affliction resistance. If liquid body is active, add 1 to this.
    If (100/(affliction res + 1)) < random 0-99, set the value to 5.
    If the final value is 5 or less, set it to 5.
    First random roll: if the final value is not greater than a random number 0-999, do nothing. Otherwise, you get some kind of affliction (of which there are two different applying functions I don't yet know the difference between)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 15, 2022, 06:15:10 pm »

One thing that's odd about this is that etherealness doesn't figure into it. Or alternately, that units like all of Lemuria's spectres have no affliction resistance. It makes sense that Therodian spectres can be convinced their leg got chopped off, but Lemurians seem to be aware of what they are and should be a bit less, you know, corporeal...
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 67