Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 132385 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #840 on: March 02, 2021, 07:50:47 am »

Apologies for the bump after the sneaky edit in the last post, but here is how exploder bless worked out:

Those were good LA Agartha units they killed too, Cave Knights and heavy infantry and such.

RIP Dispossessed Spirits, I think mostly dead due to my own priests' area undead nuke spam on a lone Agartha tomb ghost or whatnot they had been blocking

This is an SP game with the longest research setting on Latus, all LA nations active.

This time I made it to Aeris Gate before Caelum. Having pushed through, Ragha was just North and Lemuria just South. Lemuria was easy due to the above mentioned area undead nuke (air) but Ragha put up more of a fight. I bottled up Lemuria with priests and pushed Ragha back to it's capital, where my siege failed due to an immobile pretender tanking until my army ran away (long research made self-buffing immobile difficult to destroy as I had crap items and low level spells).

Almost immediately afterwards, Agartha barrels out of the West (the underground earth based planar thing) with a huge army and captures everything except my fort on the planar side of Aeris Gate (I had built forts on both sides of the gate). I moved everything I could to that fort, including the pretender which was a gamble, and summoned everything I could. I even mobilized the research mages from the capital and marched them about 4 or 5 provinces the the "Latus" side of the gate where I was assembling everything I could once the other side was blocked by the siege army. I managed to fight off several very large siege attacks as Agartha had Cave Grubs and other excellent siege units that breached my walls in two days even with the flying things I was summoning and siege defense peshti I build when a fort seems at risk. After a few attacks and rounds of summoning, I attacked with the Latus army and broke siege with the fortress army; then pushed out a bit before going back to the fortress when a big Agartha army appeared in scouted territory. This happened a few times, with Agartha losing huge amounts of troops and creatures each siege, while I was bringing in reinforcements from the Latus side every time the siege was broken.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now I'm able to push back out. Unfortunately ALL of my research mages died from being magic batteries in the first siege break as I wasn't sure if I had enough troops. I must have scripted poorly as I had hoped to leave them on the Aeris side. Agartha still has a lot of troops around and two forts, one which used to be mine to the East and which i am now sieging. Ragha survived all it's depredations (it's capital blocks the scattered provinces North of Aeris and I didn't have time to bypass the fort to knock Ragha out before Agartha showed up). Ragha Ai made decent choices of fighting Agartha when they bottled me up and reserving it's strength. Now that I pushed Agartha back, Ragha has sent the army it could build with limited income to take provinces from Agartha and I. If it doesn't go West instead of South I'll have to wreck Ragha's army, which shouldn't be too hard though their dang birds kill my mages sometimes if I forget to script and hide the mages in a crowd. Lemuria was domkilled by Agartha, but Agartha failed to take it's former territy which is still neutral. I assume they were too busy sieging me; once I push them back and eliminate the scattered 100+ armies they have with my doomstack I'll see if I can send a thug with +supply items, a priest, and some peshti to go take those Lemurian provinces, mostly for the gem income.

While this happened I was skirmishing with Midgard. Aeris was blasted to low population by Lemuria's dominion, so it's not worth much gold income. However, my dominion and Midgard both have growth scales, so the area we are fighting over has a lot of income. I pushed too far into neutral after beating Midgard around and they retook some 200+ income provinces and now they have a 700+ army sitting the province next to my lightly defended fort and my army is three provinces away and smaller. Might be trouble; I should have smashed them when I had the chance and held that income from them instead of going for a neutral throne and pushing my border up against the Zotz nation and someother before they could take and fortify it.

The biggest annoyance right now is that some jerk called in the Wild Hunt. They killed my unique Patriarch Prophet dang and a bunch of 15 pearl Alkonosts.

I'm pushing for Conj 7 for nice things my Pretender can summon, but all my research mages died as magic batteries in a long battle. It will be a bit before I can rebuild those too, though my income has gone way up now that I'm expanding underwater, since I fought over low or dead population because of Lemuria dom for most of the early game.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 08:36:52 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 27, 2021, 07:53:40 pm »

I'm making this post to gather more players for a massive game I'm making, but also to help push a game-hosting site my friend made. Blitzserver hosts long-term games through the network menu in the game, so there is no need use your email or manually move any files around. You'll see it's a far more convenient way to play a long-term game.
The game is called Epin Game. Link here:
https://blitzserver.net/game/233/status
To join, make an Early Age pretender, open "Network" in the Dominions 5 main menu, type "blitzserver.net" for the IP address and "10008" for the port. Then, select your pretender. From there, you just go into network menu to take your turns. You can check in on the game page for status of the game.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 08:50:07 pm by Hamsmagoo »

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #842 on: May 28, 2021, 09:03:31 pm »

Love the idea and look so far of that blitz server. Will ponder a pretender to maybe join after work. A question I have for yourself/friend who is running it: Is it possible to submit multiple pretenders for the same player? Or rather from the same key, as steam family share clones my key. I desire to include family in a game sometime however not all have a copy of the game as of yet. Ideally this would be a game I organized myself in the future. I know the game does not check cdkey is cheat pervention is turned off, and I understand how that would be not desired by others just as well as multiple pretenders from one key being seen as one guy playing multiple nations

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 29, 2021, 08:54:19 am »

I'm going to say probably not but I'll ask and find out for sure. Are these family members all playing on the same computer as well?
So while I'm waiting for a response for him I will say that you'd have to do something weird to get around (like run multiple instances of Dominions) because once you connect to a network game with a pretender, that's it. When you join this game, you'll see what I mean.
As long as nothing in blitzserver, itself, prevents it then running multiple instances of the game should work. Especially if your housemates have it installed on separate computers. I'll get back to you when I know for sure.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 09:19:47 am by Hamsmagoo »

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #844 on: May 29, 2021, 01:11:21 pm »

Thanks. I intend for a non-serious just us game, not really open online. We use steam family sharing, and last I tried setting it up with llamaserver since steam clones my key for sharing. it did allow multiple pretenders with multiple emails however when the first turn rolled it would give the multiple of same key in game error and not take any turn but the first with that key. Clearly this is all to prevent multiplayer abuse and piracy understandably. The issue lies in dom5 and the cheat prevention checkbox when I'd set up games via lan so the lack of an option to disable it in a multiplayer thing online is not unusual. I would just set up a lan game or port forward but since people have moved out lan is no longer an option and portforwarding is out with the network setup I got.

In the mean time while I hope for a sale, at this rate I may just buy the 2/3 more copies if this itch to play doesn't go away. Dom3/4/5 have given me enough enjoyment and I sure as fuck want Dom6 one day

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 29, 2021, 06:29:34 pm »

Yes, so we did some experimenting and found the same thing. There is a CD-key check but it doesn't happen until turn one. So you can submit multiple pretenders under one key, but it will crash if more than one attempt to submit a turn.
If you do own Dom 5, I urge you to join epin game. We're trying to hold out for 9-10 players. Almost there.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #846 on: May 31, 2021, 03:40:14 pm »

Submited my pretender for agartha.
edit: Also I love the option to dl map/worthy heroes right from the game page

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 31, 2021, 09:57:32 pm »

The beautiful thing is that the game will download and install them for you if you don't have them. It's all automatic because it's hosting a blitz.
Thanks for joining, I'll wait another 20 hours or see to see if we can get a tenth and I'll post here when it's begun.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: June 01, 2021, 04:56:54 pm »

Ok, the game has launched. To take your turn, select the game from the network menu in Dominions 5. I have the turn timer set to 36 hours at the moment.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #849 on: June 03, 2021, 01:19:12 am »

No file moving, dom 5 saved the address so I could one click connect, and it rolled turn fine after I submited. Blitz server A+ idea and setup so far

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 27, 2021, 01:36:12 pm »

Would anyone like to play a quick duel game with me?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 01, 2021, 04:55:26 pm »

So I got roughly 600 hours of Dominions 5 under my belt, steam didn't track the hours for my games for a while so its not entirely accurate (steam doesn't track game time in offline mode).

Got Conquest of Elysium 5 and despite it being so soon to release, I already racked up 102 hours out of it.

So before I get into it, I actually like CoE5...with one condition...I only like to play it co-op with my friend and thats why so many hours. Otherwise, I actually don't really like the game very much when its just by myself and to me, obviously multiplayer makes almost any game better anyway especially when played with close friend(s).

I actually think Dominions 5 is a vastly superior singleplayer game. I tried multiplayer, tried co-op with my friend (that was a bit better but too complicated for us to work out our games together), and I vastly prefer singleplayer. I guess I'm odd one out because everyone loves the multiplayer in Dominions and doesn't like singleplayer (at least nearly as much), but say CoE is a vastly better singleplayer game and not that great for multiplayer compared to Dominions...

In Dominions its so much more involved. I have been playing a map (THE SAME CAMPAIGN/MAP) for ages (no idea how long, but its been on going for months, but don't play it 24/7, but not even barely in), a near 1500 province map. Its massive. Looks beautiful too. But it isn't that why I think the game is good at all. You got population, building, can semi-control your army (at least control how its setup), a very indepth magic system...POPULATION! I never see population barely in games these days. It reminds me of victoria 2 pops...like I always see stupid "1-100" or whatever number to represent a stupid pop. DOMINIONS HAS REAL POP (or real as it can be I guess)! Or I guess there is that space 4x game and Aurora that has pop, kudos to those. You can build too and all kinds of things. Its just so more involved. And I find the AI fine, I mean its far better than warcraft/starcraft AI and I enjoyed playing singleplayer classic warcraft 3 and the new starcraft for ages lol. Never even touched multiplayer in those and the AI was pretty jank, but was just tons of fun. Dominions is the same for me, but with AI thats actually fun to play against.

Then again, do I play competively? Nope. I suck at games. Maybe thats why I enjoy so much playing against AI and with my friend :P Maybe sucking at games makes them more enjoyable :P
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 04:58:51 pm by The_Explorer »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 01, 2021, 09:18:13 pm »

It's totally legit to prefer single player, I can dig it. I think most people like Dom multiplayer and coe singleplayer for pretty much the same reasons you like it the other way around, dominions has so much potential depth and complexity. In single player you can fuck around, but 99% of dominions is the depth of the magic/item system and the strategies and counter strategies and counter counter strategies that the AI simply can't even remotely start to access, all it can really do is recruit armies of random trash and throw them at you, and thus the only strategy you need playing it is to come up with some way to defeat armies of random trash and then you'll win. Which I kinda think is maybe a bit of a loss of the potential of the game. Whereas in COE it's more of a coinflippy rngfest without much strategy or tactics to it, you just run around fucking around, not much room for a really competitive game. Although I agree that COE is quite fun in multiplayer, even more fun then singleplayer for the reasons you said.

That said, man, 1500 provinces is a absurdly huge map. Most games I see play on maps of about 15-20 provinces per player, and have about 10 players. Your map is like an order of magnitude larger. I don't think I'd ever have the fortitude to actually chew though that much of a map, but more power to you if you can.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 01, 2021, 10:01:57 pm »

One thing that helped me play and enjoy a lot more single player Dominions was NationGen. YMMV with that because we never did get really deep procedural nation features, so it's mostly just what you recruit and maybe spells copied from other nations (with a small number of exceptions). Still, just having new troops to throw against troops you don't know how to counter does make for nice variety.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: September 02, 2021, 01:20:37 pm »

Are there any multiplayer rounds in the works?  Thinking about getting back into this but the nature of singleplayer makes it hard to commit to playing unless I know I can slip into some multiplayer games, and considering how long they take I dunno if I'm ready to try with complete randos. 

I'm bad and have no idea what I'm doing, but I have played before, I started the original Dom3 game way back when.  I'd try starting one myself but it's been so long.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 67