Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 132537 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #345 on: January 06, 2018, 11:29:46 am »

Don't the Therodosian spectres think they're alive, lore-wise? They probably need to go through the whole circus of investing a fort just so that they don't end up suffering an emotional breakdown.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 06, 2018, 11:38:08 am »

There's also the mess with most armies being mixed; the ethereals might be able to go through, but the rest of the army (and their mage support, unless that's ethereal AND going in with the forlorn hope) are still blocked by the walls.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 07, 2018, 01:01:36 am »

There's also the mess with most armies being mixed; the ethereals might be able to go through, but the rest of the army (and their mage support, unless that's ethereal AND going in with the forlorn hope) are still blocked by the walls.
That's not a mess mechanically, that's as simple as saying commanders who have the trait and have no troops which lack it can assault the fort, those to whom these criteria don't apply lack the option.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 07, 2018, 10:57:05 am »

If ethereal units can attack forts without sieging them down first then flying units should be able to too, since they can already fly over the walls in siege battles. If that change does happen then Caelum and Xibalba become even more frightening because they can take any land fort in the game in only two turns. I'm 95% certain that this is the reason that ethereal and flying units can't just storm forts regardless of whether the gates are broken or not. Not because it doesn't make sense, but because it'd make certain nations too overpowered. Admittedly Caelum and Xibalba can break open forts in record time due to the siege bonus that flying grants, but unless the fort is very weak and/or undermanned it generally takes more than a single turn. The few extra turns it takes to siege down a fort can have a big impact on how the game plays out.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 07, 2018, 01:04:20 pm »

When you set troops formation, right side of the square is always closer to the enemy, both in attack and defence? I'm not sure why i'm so unsure. And how much fatigue spell "Phoenix Pyre" gives on death?

Wondered if it possible to get enough reinvirogation to abuse it. Get max 19 reinvirogation - 10 from artifact nature boots, 8 from simple earth-nature misc items and 1 natural. Than i remembered that items are dropped as loot for enemies on death...  :(
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:32:16 pm by MCreeper »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 07, 2018, 01:10:14 pm »

When you set troops formation, right side of the square is always closer to the enemy, both in attack and defence? I'm not sure why i'm so unsure.
Its both.

As for the fort thing. Yes that is fair enough that its there for game balance reasons and fliers/ethereal already get the bonus of being able to just pass by the fort walls during the attack itself.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:12:16 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 07, 2018, 01:10:22 pm »

When you set troops formation, right side of the square is always closer to the enemy, both in attack and defence? I'm not sure why i'm so unsure.
That's how it is, yes.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 09, 2018, 10:17:30 am »

I like the spell idea.
Astral mages could cast a spell that teleports their army into a castle. Everyone (including the mage) needs to make an MR check or take damage. If the mage dies so does his squad, automatically. Plus there'd be a gem cost. !!Fun!!
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 09, 2018, 10:49:00 am »

When it comes to longer games, how much income is lost due to pop death?
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 09, 2018, 11:16:55 am »

Longer games depends on who has growth dominion, but you can be dropped to 0 income. There is a rare immigration event that can jump population of a territory up from 0.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 09, 2018, 01:09:05 pm »

Longer games depends on who has growth dominion, but you can be dropped to 0 income. There is a rare immigration event that can jump population of a territory up from 0.

Is lategame just summon - o - rama then?
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 09, 2018, 01:13:09 pm »

Over a long period of time, loads. There's a reason growth was considered the best gold scale even before it was buffed for Dom 5.

Is lategame just summon - o - rama then?
Well kind of, but not because of that. Growth scales generally outpace loss of population from other sources outside of popkill nations. Summoned stuff only dominates because it tends to be stronger, but it never dominates enough to invalidate mages from other sources.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 10, 2018, 07:44:26 am »

Woah, totally missed that Dom5 was out (or even being worked on)

How's the 'real time combat'? Does it make things a lot different? For better or worse?

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #358 on: January 10, 2018, 08:52:11 am »

Woah, totally missed that Dom5 was out (or even being worked on)

How's the 'real time combat'? Does it make things a lot different? For better or worse?

I'd say the real time combat is overall for the better. The big thing is that there's no more "first strike" advantage to the defender, which makes battles feel much more fair. It also probably slightly encourages battles, I'd think, because there's advantage to being on the defense.

The battles look cooler, if they're somewhat harder to follow. Much more disorganized chaotic melee rather than the orderly formations of previous versions. Rather than have twenty mages throw fireballs one at a time, you have twenty mages throwing a salvo of twenty fireballs.

There's a bunch of minor improvements, too. Like "towers" are now actual troops hanging out on the walls, which I personally think is really rad.
Check out my books at O and H Books

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 10, 2018, 09:10:56 am »

Also there are still unfixed glitch - archers take into account enemy movement speed, but not changes in that speed. So, first shot always misses intended target, and shot just before all-out melee is likely to damage your troops instead. Not sure how frequently last one happens, i never used archers much. :P Hopefully that will be fixed soon, there was quite a lot of time without a patch (a bit more than two weeks, actually).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:13:17 am by MCreeper »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 67