Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 132555 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #315 on: December 22, 2017, 08:35:30 pm »

So are you saying that if I have a group of spearman behind the mages, the AI will cause fliers and cavalry to go past the mages and attack the spearmen?
Yes, the AI actually uses attack rear for fliers and cavalry.

A good thing to remember here (and which the manual likes to note) is that there is no 'target commander' command, either for you or an AI. In general, I think if your commander is a non-unique unit type in the army (e.g. not the only cavalry or flyer), and in the middle of the army, then they can't be specifically targeted by any of the available commands. Of course, being in the middle can be a little riskier than being in the back in other conditions.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #316 on: December 23, 2017, 03:56:02 am »

Let's also remember that "Guard Commander" squads no longer take up a squad slot, so if you really want your precious commander safe, you can give him a handful of dudes. Might not be feasible for a mage blob, though.
Check out my books at O and H Books

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 23, 2017, 05:21:23 am »

Yes, but contra that Guard Commander squads cannot be more than 5 (or 10 with a Ring of Warning), whereas Dom4 let you set nice strong bodyguard contingents. So in balance, troops on guard are less helpful than before.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 23, 2017, 11:15:17 am »

Yes, but contra that Guard Commander squads cannot be more than 5 (or 10 with a Ring of Warning), whereas Dom4 let you set nice strong bodyguard contingents. So in balance, troops on guard are less helpful than before.

That new feature about the ring of warning might actually be the solution to my problem. Thanks!

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 23, 2017, 11:26:23 am »

That new feature about the ring of warning might actually be the solution to my problem. Thanks!
It's not really new : previously, the ring of warning let you get more guys guarding your commander in case of an assassination attempt, instead of the "random 5 from the squad".

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 23, 2017, 12:24:28 pm »

It's not really new : previously, the ring of warning let you get more guys guarding your commander in case of an assassination attempt, instead of the "random 5 from the squad".

But I don't want more guards during assassination, I want more guards during battle to block flyers.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 23, 2017, 02:21:37 pm »

If using bodyguards to better block flyers, I'd plug ones with large size. There are several low-level conjuration spells that can summon big fellows, and having them less concentrated can help prevent a flyer from popping down right next to the commander.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 23, 2017, 03:21:27 pm »

OTOH, same-size guards mean that you'll have (for humans) 2 troops in the same square as the VIP, which means if flankers DO end up next to them, there's only a 1/3 chance of the VIP being targeted so long as they live. If you're completely surrounded, though, neither big nor small will help much.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 25, 2017, 10:56:19 am »

Anyone know why my level 1 astral mage with 6 astral pearls scripted to cast magic duel 5 times never casted it but chose to cast horror mark instead? The enemy was a mage. It was in the arena.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 25, 2017, 11:12:41 am »

My only guess is that his opponent wasn't astral mage himself.
Can "fires from afar" spell be useful? Best i seen was grand total of 2 killed units.
Edit: oh, it gets more powerful with more fire levels.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 11:37:02 am by MCreeper »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 25, 2017, 12:59:25 pm »

Did not know that magic duel has to be between two astral mages.

Also, as a warning to others, do not set your cavalry to attack rear if your enemy may have flying units. They will run across the battlefield, then when the flying units move to your rear, they will turn around and run right back, into your own units, blocking both from moving. The dev(s) need to change this problem where rearmost/closest/etc meaning "choose a unit and singlemindedly chase it across the battlefield". It needs to be like rearmost means to attack whatever units are in the back at any time.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 25, 2017, 02:20:10 pm »

Can "fires from afar" spell be useful? Best i seen was grand total of 2 killed units.

Also not bad if you know there's e.g. a mage all by themself, so it's sure to hit something low-hp/low-prot.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 28, 2017, 05:22:03 am »

I think for balance reasons there should be some more spells that allow aqua access... like a (non-water) spell that is a ritual that affects a province, something like "make air bubbles" that allows any unit to go in (poor amphibian) @1/gem turn/province.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 29, 2017, 11:20:19 am »

Question: i put copper plate on my lemur consul thug (inefficient, i know), expecting it to kill first enemy that landed hit on him while not harming him, but in battle he still gets his 18 thunder damage in the face, despite crazy resist copper plate gives. Is it supposed to work like that? And  how much damage charge body deals to the enemy?
Some more: Is there a point in wearing stone boots if you already have protection to the skies? I heard that -skins just raise your protection to certain number, and if you have it already, it does nothing to you.
If yes, is there a point in wearing bot stone boots and robe of invulnerability?
Robe of invulnerability gives 25 protection agains mundane attacks. How about attacks with magic weapons? Same with armor of knights.
How much stamina average naked human restores per turn? Are stamina regen of non-humans and gods any diffirent?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:52:55 am by MCreeper »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 29, 2017, 12:13:02 pm »

DRN and the order of protection resolution means that it's always possible to take damage despite your resistance - it's just more/less/much less likely.

Robe of Invulnerability gives prot 4 (up from prot 0 in Dom4) against magical attacks, so Boots of Stone are still potentially useful there. Less so if you have high non-invulnerability prot.

Unless a unit (human or titan or whatever) explicitly has Reinvigoration, they get -1 fatigue per turn.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 67