Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Shadow Race - Astria, 1957 (Revision Phase)  (Read 12855 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Race - Astria, 1956 (Design Phase)
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2017, 03:18:42 pm »

We're going to need more than comms for that. We need to pick out the appropriate locations to set up the sniper and the ability to have them get in and out unnoticed.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2017, 03:25:20 pm »

Look, Taricus, I think a tactics revision is all thats needed to get basic sniping up and running. Its really not that hard. As for them getting in and out unnoticed, we do that already using our infiltration tactics. Again, shouldn't be too hard.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2017, 04:21:58 pm »

And what I'm telling you is that it's not going to be that useful. We need to focus on designs that can help in several areas, not just one like a dedicated long-ranged weapon does. Hell, I'd probably even be a tech revision to get a bolt-action rifle for sniping, if not a semi-auto.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2017, 04:26:06 pm »

This is a armour piercing sniper, even if the target is in a car with bullet proof glass, or in full body armour, or hiding behind a wall, they can get killed. Its also able to be concealed in a suit case. Also, again, one agent with the rifle could stay back and overwatch the rest of the squad, and support them should Mole drop in on them.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2017, 04:34:05 pm »

Right, with the designs being rolled one at a time, I propose that everyone remove one of their votes, to go back to a 'one vote per player' deal. I will start.

Quote from: votes
Disguised Communications (2): Piratejoe, Taricus
Combat Co-ordination & Operations (0):
Project: PARTY VAN (1): Taricus
Alternative Entry (0):
Numbers Station (0):
Security Infiltration (0):
H.O.M.E.R (2): Piratejoe, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2017, 04:43:47 pm »

Disguised Communications (1): Taricus
Project: PARTY VAN (1): Taricus
Alternative Entry (0):
Numbers Station (0):
H.O.M.E.R (2): Piratejoe, Jilladilla
Sniper wins, prepare for snip snipping of poor people who are our targets.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2017, 12:20:20 am »

Heads up: After next Operations report I'll very likely be doing away with the expense roll. Expense otherwise will remain untouched, just that the Expense of new items will depend on GM decision in addition to their Effectiveness and Bug Rolls. Global League's control bonus will be changed as well - likely to a reassignable expense credit. But until then, the expense roll stays.

Tech Design: H.O.M.E.R.
[5, 2, 6]

The H.O.M.E.R. is a very competent sniper rifle. Our R&D team is quite proud of what they managed to do with it. A large yet not too heavy metal sniper rifle. It has a simple 2x optical scope to aid with aiming.

Assembling and taking it apart is easy. The weapon is simply divided into discrete parts that largely just snap on. It should be easy for anyone, with a bit of instruction beforehand, to put a H.O.M.E.R. together. It's quick, though not particularly fast. Fast enough for anything we can imagine a sniper rifle being used for, but it's still not a good idea to get caught with it unassembled.
We even included a cool briefcase with foam fittings for the parts! The foam fittings can just as easily be adapted for any other similar storage container though. If we hate fun determine that briefcases are too obvious.

It's semi-automatic, though it still suffers from a fairly poor rate of fire. The weapon can fire just fast enough so a single missed shot won't necessarily be the end of the world, but we really recommend that our agents hit the target the first time. It comes with a 10-round magazine.
Stopping power is more than serviceable. It's able to pierce particularly thin walling with ease, and the lethality goes down as thickness goes up. A bullet would probably be able to pierce regular civilian walling that one may find in, say, a city skyscraper, and would still be dangerous but barring severe luck probably not lethal. Most if not all glass shouldn't be a problem. Disregarding penetration, a shot from the H.O.M.E.R. is reliably lethal. Of course, people always have a chance to survive - you can't guarantee that the bullet doesn't just ignore any important organs. But that should hopefully not be common.
The H.O.M.E.R. is naturally very loud and has a muzzle flash to match. Using it would surely alert security to the user's last location when firing.

While the H.O.M.E.R. is a very effective weapon, we cannot recommend deploying it at all in the field. Without accompanying work into a Skill for proper utilization, our agents would simply attempt to use the sniper rifle as they would an assault rifle. This would not go well. This is the minimum required for effective operation of the H.O.M.E.R., too - serious effort in a new Skill would help truly unlock its potential.

Making a gun like this entirely out of metal is quite a new method for us, and we haven't quite perfected means of manufacturing/procuring all the metal parts now needed to make a gun. We would have used materials that we were more familiar with, but metal facilitated the assembly process the most. Very Expensive.

It is still the Design Phase. Vote on a single Tech or Skill design proposal fulfilling the "subtle & non-lethal" Design Credit requirements.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:25:21 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Race - Astria, 1956 (Design Phase Pt.2)
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2017, 12:25:51 am »

I warned you. I warned you but did you listen to me at all? Oh no you thought this rifle was gonna be usable with a revision and look what's happened.

Project: PARTY VAN (0):
Alternative Entry (0):
Numbers Station (0):

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2017, 01:42:37 am »

Alright, all hope is not lost for the HOMER for this turn, one just needs to think a little outside the box sometimes, so here's another design for the votebox, one that involves a plan that'd allow us to use a HOMER effectively. 100% Global League Design Credit Compliant too!

Overwatch
Our operation in the Global League this previous year has shown that proper planning and execution trumps mere brute force, and as a result, we are taking steps to improve our information gathering capabilities in the field. As such, the Overwatch Tactic will be developed; with this a single operative on a squad will find a location with an excellent vantage point of the expected operation area. From this location they can easily get a grasp of what is happening in the operation area and help coordinate the rest of their squad in response to changing conditions or important events.

The plan here is to gain an excellent observation and team coordination tactic. One which we can then immediately turn around and revise to include the guy on Overwatch having a HOMER, so he can snipe assassination targets or MOLE agents while still providing coordination efforts to the team.

Quote from: Votebox
Alternative Entry (0):
Numbers Station (0):
Overwatch (1): Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2017, 02:00:08 am »

We won't always have a vantage point to actually use, and using a whole skill on that seems like a literal waste. More to the point even if our man in such a vantage point can oversee any activity we'll still need the means to relay that information to the rest of the team as well.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2017, 04:32:45 am »

Taricus, we knew it would need a skill for it to be useful, alright? I like overwatch, but I feel proper communications are probably needed for it to be fully effective, although we still should get it. I thought about it for a while and, both comm's and this would be extremely useful, but it would be best to get HOMER up at full efficiency now instead of later, besides, we can get disguised comm's next turn. Also, Taricus, there is always a advantageous position, even if its only slightly more then others.
Quote from: Votebox
Alternative Entry (0):
Numbers Station (0):
Overwatch (2): Jilladilla, Piratejoe

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2017, 11:49:45 am »

You said that it would only be a revision to get that rifle into a usable state. But now we're pouring more designs down a black hole for something that barely gets us an advantage in any theatre.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2017, 12:33:07 pm »

Its not, actually, overwatch isn't just for the sniper, its for scouting, not just sniping. If we couple it with com's we can have one guy communicating with the others saying "Hey, there is a suspicious group of people to your north east, watch out for them as they are possibly MOLE agents." or "I see the objective, they are running down the street behind you!" but you know, I'll humor your fears by designing a scope for the revision.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2017, 12:49:23 pm »

Both of them are useless, overwatch more so without the radios.We need to design something that works with the rest of our existing tech and skills, not to try making a useless object usable.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2017, 01:10:02 pm »

Look, I get you don't like the gun, but we got it so how about we actually stick to it instead of just forgetting about it and treating it as a lost cause when it got decent rolls? Radios shouldn't be massively difficult to communicate by, hell, if you want we can use the bloody telephone for a turn before we make radios that will be much more secure and less restricted.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11