Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 125

Author Topic: FEF: Death to Traitors: Chapter 5  (Read 79251 times)

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Death to Traitors: Chapter 2
« Reply #735 on: April 09, 2018, 10:56:12 pm »

"It must be nice to have been given that both as a gift but also as a vote of confidence from your father. I've never received such a thing, but that knowledge doesn't hinder me." Despite her words, Calo might have picked up just the slightest hint of wistfulness in Evra's voice. However, if it had been there it was quickly replaced with a firm resolve. "I have and will continue to fight with my own power; even if I am the only one who remains. Though I'll admit, it was a shame you missed me in action; it was a much worthier performance of the name Evra Opus than that which you witnessed at the crater."

"And while it is true that your journal will be restored should we succeed, or destroyed if the opposite happens, it is still the torch your father passed to you. I would think that means something. Or I may be wrong and it means nothing; it can be so hard to tell sometimes. Regardless, our survey is done and you have finished your reproduction of the map. We should let Jack know what we found so he has an idea on where to guide us next."
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 10, 2018, 12:28:24 am »

It wasn't part of Keyleth's nature to answer every random question that came her way, but at least this one no longer involved her past.

: "What do you mean? It wouldn't be the first time bandits occupy an abandoned building, and I'm sure that sometime after we leave another group will move in. What was different about these ones?"
"If I'm not mistaken, I distinctly heard a man yell something about having a deal with some Earl, right after you broke a wall. Hardly ordinary bandits; they could have been lying, but then why lie to a person on a wyvern, perfectly prepared to kill you if you are or aren't anyway?"

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 10, 2018, 11:01:26 am »

: "...you're right, I do remember one of them saying something like that. You should probably let Jack know, in case he has any contacts among the local nobles."
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 10, 2018, 02:59:43 pm »

"It means far more than you realize," the scout says rather bluntly as he stows it away again,

"I will not see his legacy suffer any disgrace at the hands of Govitian scum. Hence why it will die with me if necessary- for even total destruction would be a kinder fate than them acquiring it. But you're correct. We're done in this pigsty. I can feel my restraint chipping away ever more, the longer I spend looking at this disgusting mess..."

And with that said, he turned and left the room, heading back towards Jack and the others...
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 10, 2018, 03:21:18 pm »

At Calo and Evra's return, Jack looked up. "No stragglers I assume. Did you find anything interesting?"

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 10, 2018, 04:55:38 pm »

: "...you're right, I do remember one of them saying something like that. You should probably let Jack know, in case he has any contacts among the local nobles."
"I've a feeling he already knows, and if not, someone else ought to have caught on, he wasn't exactly being quiet. Still, something bothers me about this. All our intel about Govitz so far has been wrong, given we've run into patrols on every turn, and most of our safe havens have been reduced to ashes or filled with bandits. I suspect our quarry has not just leaked magical secrets, but how our agents would operate too, likely attempting some sort of scorched earth tactic, ensuring we have nowhere to hide and nowhere to rest. I expect we'll be met with a heavier force, now that these bandits have been cleared out. The Earl is likely privy to there being a foreign force here, or whoever their employer is.

I may well be overly paranoid, of course, but you're right either way, I should bring the possibility up with Jack regardless. He's been doing this longer than I have."

Theodore doesn't seem to notice that his confident smirk has been replaced by another pensive, somewhat brooding expression and his tone far more serious than usual until he finishes talking. As if almost an afterthought, he brings his arrogant smile right back, trying to return to his usual upbeat tone.

".....of course, those are just the insights of a man of my talents. How are you feeling after that battle?"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:58:29 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 11, 2018, 07:03:10 am »

:"They had a topographical map of the region carved into the face of a stone table in one of the other rooms," the Scout answered promptly, as he takes out the sketched reproduction and hands it to jack "It seems they were using stones to mark certain locations, including the site of the Crater, and what we suspect may have been other villages that were potential targets. There's another fortress to the south-east of here, about a weeks march away taking the most direct route, by my current estimates. Several of the marked locations lie between us and it, investigating those on the way will further delay us, but may be worth it to resupply or gather local intel... assuming there's anything left when we get there.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 08:45:28 am by Stratos »
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 11, 2018, 09:32:36 pm »

Jack took the book from Calo's hands and carefully inspected the map, paying particular attention to the locations Calo had recorded as marked by stones by the bandits. "Was there any pattern to the marked locations? Different varieties of stone, shape, anything?" Without really waiting for an answer, Jack tapped his chin with his free hand, thinking. "Given how these men lived, its entirely possible that all these marked locations are sites of villages or farmsteads; really anywhere they can plunder. However, if they had any sense, they'd also mark any military installations on top of that, in order to avoid them while working with any additions to their number. Our equipment is under stress, and I don't have an interest in picking fights we don't need to win."

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 11, 2018, 10:27:47 pm »

:"Negative," the scout answers, "No appreciable pattern was observed- it seemed they took whatever stones were on hand, regardless of size, species, etc. and slapped it down in the necessary place. As for military installations, a lot of effort was put into marking the fortresses themselves- they were outright carved from the very stone of the table itself, not designated by loose specimens. Like everything else around here though, that map was likely constructed ages ago, and the.... mess we discovered in the courtyard suggests the bandits had been squatting here for quite some time. Given the fort to south would be much too far for them, and the direction they ambushed us from, I'd say the patrol we encountered was likely based in an installation somewhere to the west, beyond the crater. Probably one constructed well after this place was abandoned." 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:34:41 pm by Stratos »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 11, 2018, 10:37:36 pm »

Jack's eyes didn't come off of the map. "So it's possible that any outpost marked is going to be indistinguishable from raiding sites, and any other fortress displayed on the map proper has about an even chance of being occupied or abandoned like this one. Damn." Jack continued to stare at the map silently for what felt like a long time, then turned to Rune. "Hey, I want you to take a look at this, see what you can make of it."

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Death to Traitors: Prologue
« Reply #745 on: April 11, 2018, 10:43:56 pm »

"Oh? Sure thing boss man."

Walking up to the map, she glanced over it and shrugged.

"Fairly standard map for a fortress this old. You wouldn't see them in newer ones but that's to be expected. The marked areas are villages and outposts. Well, I'm assuming they all are. I only know for sure some of them are. This one here That's closest to us would be a decent place to stop, get some information. It's a large enough village that we wouldn't be questioned too hard if we have gold. Anything else?"

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 11, 2018, 10:51:41 pm »

"No, confirming a place where we can resupply and get our bearings is good enough for now." Jack closed up the journal, and took a good look at it. His expression hardened into a scowl. "...Bayard, I thought I was clear back on the Broken Halo when I gave orders to leave behind any identifying equipment." Their leader held up the book, and tapped a finger against the missing seal. "Anyone familiar with the old style of scout journals would be capable of identifying this, and any level of suspicion were we to be captured could lead to war. This was careless." Jack extended the book back to Calo. "The moment things look bad, you need to have a plan to destroy it."

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 11, 2018, 11:30:00 pm »

"I've had one from the very beginning." He produces a single stone from somewhere on his person- it catches the light and a reddish, amber glow softly falls upon the fingers that hold it, "This is a trigger stone, remote, good for only one use. I give the word, it shatters. The corresponding one hidden in that journal's binding does the same and unleashes a flame that will consume it from the inside out in a matter of seconds, only thing left will be ashes. The trigger leaves my person for more than a few seconds, it shatters, and the spell begins. The trigger and spell stones get more than a few feet apart at any time, same story. My heart stops... same story." He stows the gem again
" Doesn't matter if just one of those conditionals are met, or all of them; Either it returns from this mission with me, or it'll be erased from existence before the Govitians ever find it. I had my reasons for bringing it, but of course I wasn't about to risk the lives of millions like a fool."

Yes... like a fool. Some part of him thought better than to let the original version slip his tongue. Hart would pay for what she'd done, what she still had the potential to do, one way, or another. He would have no sympathy as she died, but he would at least give her more respect than these swine they'd just slaughtered.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 11, 2018, 11:42:21 pm »

Jack sighed. "Good enough, I suppose." After Jack returned the journal to Calo, he moved to the closest wall and sat against it. He raised his voice so that the entire group would be able to hear him. "I suggest everyone get some rest. We're moving out as soon as the sun comes back up, and we've got a lot of ground to cover before we reach re-supply." Jack tugged his headband low, so it hung over his eyes.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Death to Traitors: Chapter 1
« Reply #749 on: April 12, 2018, 12:19:56 am »

"Aye aye cap'n." Abelard acknowledged, still on corpse duty.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 125