Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Newscience - Discovering a New Universe!  (Read 14416 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newscience - Discovering a New Universe!
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2017, 10:15:15 pm »

And the reason it took so long... is because I've been hung up on by other forum game, SPAMOVERLORD. Which needs more players.

So go check that if there's a long wait.

[/shamelessad]
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2017, 10:29:06 pm »

Put various pieces of red cabbage into various dissolving liquids, with each piece put with each container for each liquid. We can start testing stuff with them if we can get any sort of reading based on this.
If it doesn't work, start putting other materials in, and see if they react in a way that we can use.
So... about this experiment... and the one about the fossils...
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2017, 10:33:00 pm »

Put various pieces of red cabbage into various dissolving liquids, with each piece put with each container for each liquid. We can start testing stuff with them if we can get any sort of reading based on this.
If it doesn't work, start putting other materials in, and see if they react in a way that we can use.
Make sure to note every little detail about the cabbage

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2017, 10:36:06 pm »

They are in the works.

For the cabbage experiment, I had to decide how much I want to mess with the chemistry of carbonates. I think I've gotten a good idea now - I'll post it soon.

I have no idea where to start with the fossil thing. I have absolutely no idea how to go about designing a tree of life from scratch. I've barely gotten the major geological events down.

Do you think my writings are a bit too low quality? That they seem rushed and unsure? Because they are. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Make sure to note every little detail about the cabbage

Now you're just messing with me.

Not like there's many details to mention. It's honestly just gonna be a color gauge. If it explodes I'll tell you.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2017, 11:08:56 pm »

Interesting.

Make a larger refractor, as large as can be made, and test its optical properties.

Make a Voltaic pile. What happens?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2017, 01:42:46 am »

(PTW)
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2017, 09:19:25 pm »

It actually works!

Water: ██████
Lemon juice: ██████
Blood: ██████
Lye: ██████

Interesting.

Make a larger refractor, as large as can be made, and test its optical properties.

It...

...refracts more.

There's still not even a hint of chromatic aberration, and pointing it at the night sky reveals that IT'S FULL OF STARS!

Make a Voltaic pile. What happens?

Absolutely nothing. You put dissimilar metals between brine and hook it up to a dead frog and nothing happens.

TRY HARDER.

Experiments
Spoiler: OceanSoul Biology (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Glass Salt Experiment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Madman's Optics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Madic Pile (click to show/hide)
Materials
  • Dissolved plant goop
  • Sample of basalt
  • Partially Dissolved Chicken Leg
  • Non-functioning Voltaic Pile

Confidence in Science Percentage: 7.21591% (+0.12021%)

(Confidence attrition is now mult 0.95 every day, so that at full confidence you need to discover 10 things a day to keep the conspiracy nuts at bay.)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2017, 09:25:48 pm »

When I said "test its optical properties" I was really looking for a number describing how good my newest zoom setting is.

Take the Voltaic pile and make more. About 99 more. Then, wire them up and see if I can get an electrical spark to jump between two metal wires.

(Sorry, but I'm tired and can't be bothered to research and describe the proper way to extract electricity from a Voltaic pile. However, unless I'm BADLY mistaken, a dead frog generally has little to do with the process)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2017, 10:23:32 pm »

Experiment 1:Try putting salt on skinned frog leg, of a recently dead frog, preferably I don't want us to start vivisection things already.

Hypothesis: the last froggy experiment produced no movement perhaps because frogs have a differently structured, and electrically resistant skin in this reality,  if this is true, then the muscles should still when react to the salt by retracting and twitching.(this[dead animals muscles being made to twitch with salt] does happen IRL, I'm not making this up)

Secondary hypothesis: If no reaction is produced perhaps muscles and Evers in these animals function entirely differently.

Experiment 2 is untenable until we have the simplest of elctronics(administering electricity to said limbs, or a slight jolt to living frog to see if any reaction whatsoever occurs,  if the biology only looks out for a P similar, then there's a good chance that there would be no reaction or one not like what we see on this planet )

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2017, 11:50:04 am »

Hmm, nobody tried to calculate gravity?

Experiment 1: Let fall an apple, a paper and an ball of paper from a big tower (preference where it won't fall in anybody's head

See how much time it takes to reach ground and how much resistance of the air the paper got till reach ground

Experiment 2: Do the same as above, in a sealed room with a camera and without air, only the objects waiting a button to fall, and vacuum.

Discover how is the gravity's acceleration.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2017, 12:21:22 pm »

Why the first experiment? The second is enough to measure gravitational acceleration, and you don't need the paper.

Also, the formula for finding gravitational acceleration is thus:

g=2s/t^2

where s is distance fallen and t is time to fall that distance.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2017, 01:59:39 pm »

Theory: Geological Formation
Summary: The upper layers of the planet's geology are the result of gradual sedimentation. The different rock layers are likely a result of climate shifts, leading to different types of sedimentation.
Evidence for: Immaterial Project: Survey of the Depths
Evidence against: N/A
Counterpoint: We do not have any fossil evidence that would indicate climate shifts.
Counterpoint resolution: Investigate the recovered rocks for fossils.

Project Proposal: Fossils and Climate Shifts
Objective: Determine whether or not fossil records indicate a shift in climate.
Expected outcome: Fossil records will indicate a shift in climate.
Hypothesis: The planet has experienced shifts in climate, leading to the creation of different geological layers.
Method: Sort through the recovered rocks for any signs of fossils, sorting any found by geological layer. Examine the fossils for signs that indicate the type of climate they existed in.
Materials: 1 Researcher, 1 Journal, 1 Pen (quill), 1 Ink Pot, TBD Research Assistants.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2017, 02:16:05 pm »

[snip]

I'm fairly sure that blueturtle mentioned that gravity is the same on this planet as it is on earth, and that we already had a base understanding of it. Could be wrong.

While waiting on the fossil report (AHEM), experiment with CARBON-14, and figure out its half-life. Will need it to put an age to the fossils we find.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2017, 02:25:24 pm »

We don't even know if we HAVE Carbon-14. We don't know if we have Carbon-12 yet.

So hold up! WE KNOW NOTHING! Let's get the basics done first, alright? First we need to figure out chemistry and physics.

Luckily for us, this is NewSCIENCE, not NewUNIVERSE, so we're pretty much certain that mathematics is the same (Not that the human brain could actually process a different set of mathematics, as far as I know)

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2017, 02:37:13 pm »

Boil water from different sources (e.g. ocean, river, source...) and identify the residue that are left in the end
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9