Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Newscience - Discovering a New Universe!  (Read 14407 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newscience - Discovering a New Universe!
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2017, 02:49:20 pm »

[snip]

I'm fairly sure that blueturtle mentioned that gravity is the same on this planet as it is on earth, and that we already had a base understanding of it. Could be wrong.
We do have a basic understanding of Newtonian physics, and gravity is .8 of Earth.

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2017, 03:12:13 pm »

We know that liquids can compress, but do they compress uniformly?
Take various liquids (Water, Blood, Oil, Juice, etc) and compress them, then compare how much each of them compressed.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2017, 04:07:03 pm »

I...

...am sick and cannot do this for a bit. Sorry.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2017, 07:25:19 pm »

That's fine, you've been doing well so far.

Being sick gives you an excuse to draft up a rough evolutionary tree! (But seriously, do NOT try to make it more than a rough "And then this feature developed" IF EVEN)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2017, 08:36:32 am »

This world has canyons and the like, yes? If so:

Try to find fossils. Catalog any fossils and note any similarities they may have to current organisms.

Between river canyons and the mines you dug earlier you have access to the following geological strata:

• A layer of uncompressed, recently deposited sedimentary rock
  • A light, thin, almost homogenous layer of sandstone
  • Denser, more compressed rock
  • Another layer of sandstone

A thorough inspection of the mines and canyons yields the following fossil discoveries:

• In the topmost layer, a skull. It is about the size of a dog’s skull, four inches wide, eight long, three tall. There is a pair of holes in the back top of the skull, where the temples would be on a human.
  • A few meters down into the second non-sandstone layer, you find a leg bone. It is thin and long, with a joint at one end and a break at the other. It measures 40 cm, but it is evident that a good bit has been broken off. A barrel-shaped structure is attached at one end.
  • In the first sandstone layer, a conch shell. As in, a shell with a cone shaped spiral. Looking at it from the top, it spirals clockwise out. It is four inches wide and six tall.

Experiments
Spoiler: OceanSoul Biology (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Glass Salt Experiment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Madman's Optics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Madic Pile (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fossils! (click to show/hide)
Materials
  • Dissolved plant goop
  • Sample of basalt
  • Partially Dissolved Chicken Leg
  • Non-functioning Voltaic Pile
  • Fossils

Confidence in Science Percentage: 7.21591% (+0.12021%)

(Confidence attrition is now mult 0.95 every day, so that at full confidence you need to discover 10 things a day to keep the conspiracy nuts at bay.)
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48:57 am »

When I said "test its optical properties" I was really looking for a number describing how good my newest zoom setting is.

Take the Voltaic pile and make more. About 99 more. Then, wire them up and see if I can get an electrical spark to jump between two metal wires.

(Sorry, but I'm tired and can't be bothered to research and describe the proper way to extract electricity from a Voltaic pile. However, unless I'm BADLY mistaken, a dead frog generally has little to do with the process)

We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2017, 09:35:53 am »

When I said "test its optical properties" I was really looking for a number describing how good my newest zoom setting is.

Take the Voltaic pile and make more. About 99 more. Then, wire them up and see if I can get an electrical spark to jump between two metal wires.

(Sorry, but I'm tired and can't be bothered to research and describe the proper way to extract electricity from a Voltaic pile. However, unless I'm BADLY mistaken, a dead frog generally has little to do with the process)

As I've mentioned, I dug myself into a bit of an idiot hole with electrochemistry. I made some changes to voltaic piles that I'm going to take a bit to think over.

However, I can reassure you that a dead frog had nothing to do with the process - that was an earlier experiment.

Also telescopes aren't really limited by their magnification, they're limited by resolution and light gathering capacity. Your telescope magnifies more than it can resolve, so it just displays a bunch of blobs when you use it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2017, 09:36:56 am »

OK.

Crap, now I've got to learn optic myself. I KNEW that, I just didn't remember it.

Darn you, making me think about the science that is going to be the rest of my life!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2017, 11:36:10 am »

Theory: Geological Formation
Summary: The upper layers of the planet's geology are the result of gradual sedimentation. The different rock layers are likely a result of climate shifts, leading to different types of sedimentation.
Evidence for: Immaterial Project: Survey of the Depths
Evidence against: N/A
Counterpoint: We do not have any fossil evidence that would indicate climate shifts.
Counterpoint resolution: Investigate the recovered rocks for fossils.

Project Proposal: Fossils and Climate Shifts
Objective: Determine whether or not fossil records indicate a shift in climate.
Expected outcome: Fossil records will indicate a shift in climate.
Hypothesis: The planet has experienced shifts in climate, leading to the creation of different geological layers.
Method: Sort through the recovered rocks for any signs of fossils, sorting any found by geological layer. Examine the fossils for signs that indicate the type of climate they existed in.
Materials: 1 Researcher, 1 Journal, 1 Pen (quill), 1 Ink Pot, TBD Research Assistants.
Did this experiment get mushed together with the other fossil one?

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2017, 11:56:38 am »

Theory: Geological Formation
Summary: The upper layers of the planet's geology are the result of gradual sedimentation. The different rock layers are likely a result of climate shifts, leading to different types of sedimentation.
Evidence for: Immaterial Project: Survey of the Depths
Evidence against: N/A
Counterpoint: We do not have any fossil evidence that would indicate climate shifts.
Counterpoint resolution: Investigate the recovered rocks for fossils.

Project Proposal: Fossils and Climate Shifts
Objective: Determine whether or not fossil records indicate a shift in climate.
Expected outcome: Fossil records will indicate a shift in climate.
Hypothesis: The planet has experienced shifts in climate, leading to the creation of different geological layers.
Method: Sort through the recovered rocks for any signs of fossils, sorting any found by geological layer. Examine the fossils for signs that indicate the type of climate they existed in.
Materials: 1 Researcher, 1 Journal, 1 Pen (quill), 1 Ink Pot, TBD Research Assistants.
Did this experiment get mushed together with the other fossil one?

Yup. Problem with that?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2017, 01:11:11 pm »

No, I was just hoping for more clues regarding climate shifts. A skull, a tool, and a shell are difficult to extrapolate from. What do you recommend to get more information on these issues? More digging?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2017, 05:27:11 pm »

Hm. Is there any tilt in the layers of rock? Are there any faults present?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2017, 05:32:56 pm »

No, I was just hoping for more clues regarding climate shifts. A skull, a tool, and a shell are difficult to extrapolate from. What do you recommend to get more information on these issues? More digging?

Pressure me to put more effort into ecology and geology, because I really didn't - I've been focusing on physics and chemistry so far. I literally don't have that much to give you.

Also, dig deeper. There is more interesting (i.e. not yet written) info deeper underground.

You know what? It's time to flesh out the setting of this story a bit.

I'll be back with a map.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2017, 04:15:55 pm »

My threads do not die, they just kind of hibernate.

Experiment 1:Try putting salt on skinned frog leg, of a recently dead frog, preferably I don't want us to start vivisection things already.

Hypothesis: the last froggy experiment produced no movement perhaps because frogs have a differently structured, and electrically resistant skin in this reality,  if this is true, then the muscles should still when react to the salt by retracting and twitching.(this[dead animals muscles being made to twitch with salt] does happen IRL, I'm not making this up)

Secondary hypothesis: If no reaction is produced perhaps muscles and Evers in these animals function entirely differently.

The muscles actually tense up upon contact with the salt. You slit the leg, pour the salt on the muscles, and all the muscles tense and strain a little. After around half an hour, they relax again and cannot be further stimulated.

People interested in electronics and chemistry should get used to this response, as these subjects have been kicked around the most brutally:

Zinc anode. Copper cathode. Salt water electrolyte. Copper wire.

Nothing happens.

The rock layers are tilted, and the tilt increases noticeably as they get further down. They're tilted to the southwest, away from the ocean.

I'll have a map later today.

Experiments
Spoiler: OceanSoul Biology (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Glass Salt Experiment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Madman's Optics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Madic Pile (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fossils! (click to show/hide)
Materials
  • Dissolved plant goop
  • Sample of basalt
  • Partially Dissolved Chicken Leg
  • Non-functioning Voltaic Pile
  • Fossils

Confidence in Science Percentage: 7.995114% (+0.779204%)

(Confidence attrition is now mult 0.95 every day, so that at full confidence you need to discover 10 things a day to keep the conspiracy nuts at bay.)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2017, 04:28:03 pm »

Have we checked if ice floats in water?
Let's check if ice floats in water.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9