Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Cult Race: Battle for the underhive (WH40k)  (Read 8105 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Cult Race: Battle for the underhive (WH40k)
« on: September 09, 2017, 12:34:36 am »

The year is roughly 42000, but nobody is really keeping count so it's hard to tell. The Emperor of Mankind, probably a demigod, definitely a vegetable sits on a big chair and makes the traffic flow, which is great because it's responsible for the entire running of an empire whose FTL-travel is based on popping into the hellish immaterium where good souls go to be eaten by daemons, which apparently has great mileage.

None of that really matters to you, because whilst grand fleets clash and troops by the millions get funnelled into blistering war-zones to die, that's somewhere else.
The war hasn't yet crept to the planet "Forenium III" and Hive City Armoska still operates in civil bliss, its billions of residents dedicated to churning out more weapons, equipment and conscripts to send off to the various wars happening elsewhere.

However, deep below the city where those citizens undesirable to imperial sensibilities dwell, some new threats have emerged. Silently they have crept into the underbelly of the city, converting the civilians and forming cults. They take resources and interrupt the flow of the city, to prepare the way for the coming of their grand invasion, which will overrun the city and claim it for their masters.
Which would be great- if there was only one.

Somehow, through the Emperor's divine humour, both the Alien infiltrators of the Genestealers, and the Cthlonian contingent of the Chaos Cultists have begun their work in the same hive city simultaneously. The city isn't big enough for the both of them, and whichever cult is responsible for gaining ownership of the city will soon enough be the ones ruling the planet!
Or so they've been promised.

Spoiler: Old Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: New Rules (click to show/hide)

Each faction will start with these technologies:
Spoiler: Chaos Cults (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Genestealer Cults (click to show/hide)

The Map is as follows
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Features (click to show/hide)

There will be two turns of development before any troops are allowed to be produced or moved, in order to start the teams down their respective tech paths.
Please post in this thread which team you'll be joining, and as usual avoid looking at the other team's thread once the game is underway.
For the Four-Armed Emperor!
For the Dark Gods! (Undermanned)

This is technically an asymmetrical arms race, however they do start out very similar and don't have much difference.
For those unfamiliar with the lore, this is a tiny peek into what each side can and cannot do.

The Chaos cult is dedicated to a daemonic being which dwells in the warp. They can ask for boons and favours, and in return will get stuff from the warp.
This can range from a sorceror casting magic, summoning daemons, or someone being 'given' a variety of mutations.
The ability to summon daemons, or into hosts, or create new unit types through mutations is a powerful tool, however, chaos certainly does give freely, and not always in the ways you'd enjoy.

The Genestealer cultists are an alien hive mind.
They don't have 'mutations' as such, but can freely blend their DNA with that of their cultists progeny - just in case you wanted some guys with three or four arms, or a hardened carapace.
Moving beyond the 'hybrid' spectrum to something which is greater than the sum of its parts, however, will require significant investment.
likewise, their magic is barely, or tangentially, warp related, however they can bring psionics and hypnosis-style powers to the table.
The closest they would come to summoning 'daemons' would be just a concentrated form of their psychic web causing bloodthirsty little mascots to appear.
Generally speaking though, a bigger family means more powerful psykery, so it's not a dead end.

Edit:
Due to popular demand, we have a Discord now.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:58:53 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
Re: Cult Race: Battle for the underhive (WH40k)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 05:30:49 am »

This might be fun to read I guess just to see how inventive some of the players get, but I don't think I'll get to actively involved now that I've noticed this is WH40k  who's grimderp levels are so high that I just don't care about who lives and dies, and where a god of plauge and Space communists are the least evil things out there. Eh but this still might lead to fun.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 10:10:51 am »

Playing Genestealer.

Heretical bugs, heretical bugs everywhere!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 10:26:56 am »

We're all heretics here. Just differing on the beliefs.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 10:30:49 am »

"It's ok buddy, we're all heretics here..."
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 10:31:51 am »

Well, the inquisition's response is going to be the same regardless :P

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 10:44:19 am »

Also we seem to have about five Chaos players and only one brother siding with the bugs.
Obligatory "drumming up support for the xenomorphs"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:21:50 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 11:33:54 am »

I have noticed this thread.
This thread is heresy.
I shall inform the proper authorities.
Exterminatus ensues.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 01:57:55 pm »

The year is roughly 42000, but nobody is really keeping count so it's hard to tell. The Emperor of Mankind, probably a demigod, definitely a vegetable sits on a big chair and makes the traffic flow, which is great because it's responsible for the entire running of an empire whose FTL-travel is based on popping into the hellish immaterium where good souls go to be eaten by daemons, which apparently has great mileage.

This is the best description of WH40K in a loong loong time.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 03:46:10 pm »

I'll throw my hat in with the bugs.

No underhiver gang faction? RIP Necromunda.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 05:03:32 pm »

So, teams may have noticed, but I've thrown some tech levels in there in order to help foster a sense of progression.
Both teams start with "civilian jury-rigging" basically covering stuff they loot from the mines and workshops.
Stealing or reverse-engineering stuff from the PDF or IG would come next, followed by stuff on the level of power armour and space marine weapons, and then lastly crazy sci-fi uncharted territory or mechanicum toys.

Likewise, the individual teams have a knowledge tier unique to them, mainly based around how Chaos summons their Space Marines and how Genstealer bubbehs are made.
Those can be expanded in whatever whacky way your mind desires, it's just an easy jumping-off point to vaguely-linear progression.

Something I haven't yet added in (and am on my phone in bed so give it eight hours) will be your starting tactic "fire and advance", which is essentially shoot until the clip is empty and then hit things.
Similar to Draig-game, revisions can be used to tinker with the "fire" part or "advance" part, and successful revisers could see it daisy-chained into another discrete tactic altogether- but it'll probably be a lot faster to just drop a design on one.
"Cost" of designed tactics will usually, rather than being a discreet number, be a certain "level" of unit which can learn it free, such as elite, elite+, etc. Others might be able to learn at the expense of time and military supplies.

Lastly, again similar to Draig-game, your men are holding the idiot ball. They will follow their tactic almost to the letter and only withdraw once their morale breaks.
Nobody even has squad leaders yet though so there's a lot of room to improve on that front.

There'll be an FAQ after this turn with answers to any other questions people have.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:48:32 pm »

Are the genestealers still understaffed?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 05:50:23 pm »

I'll put it this way; Never knew the IC differences in manpower would be mimicked OOC :P

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 12:18:18 am »

Criminally so, yeah.

QUICK WORD ON MANPOWER
Manpower is currently gained by breeding on the GSC side and preaching on the Cultist side.
Soldiers cannot normally be breeding/preaching at the same time as they are fighting, so the Manpower pool grows based on its own size.
Commissioning a lot of soldiers will sap your manpower very heavily and may cripple you for later in the game.
However, the Hab sector of the map provides a steady manpower flow, and your base provides an 'emergency supply' of manpower which will cap your income from getting too low.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:29:17 am by Tack »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 01:08:46 am »

Alright, so a quick question: The units we recruit are squads or are they individual? And do we need to pay for equipment per squad or per individual?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7